A highlights Clip - In Reverse - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 20th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #16
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
Wonderful wonderful.

I know for sure this was a very difficult piece to do. But you pulled it off amazingly.

At the 1:30 mark I was fully engaged with the flow and expectant of the chronology so I was able to enjoy the piece without a hint of confusion.

A very minor and nitpicky comment would be how "weak" the couple of opening shots. Not weak technically (you guys never are) but prep shots as opening for a highlights in reverse takes away from the structure.

Shots with inferences to the wedding being over (confetti on the floor, half finished champagne bottle or opened gifts) would have rocked. But of course the edit decision was done way after the shoot. It's just nice to think of could haves.
Thanks for the detailed feedback Jason.

I wonder how much the title of my post here gave away the story line which then made it easier for everybody to pick up on what was happening right away without much confusion. I'm very glad to hear that it seems to fit for you though. I threw in some little hints, such as the time lapse of the clock which has time going in reverse.

I love your idea for the opening shots. My initial concept was to show the anticipation of both of them before anything starts-> then to jump to the end and work my way back. I actually took some time thinking of whether I had any shots like you mentioned to give that a try, as it would be a killer opening, but unfortunately I found the idea in the edit bay and didn't pick up any shots like that the night of.

But your right, it is nice to think of what could have been- and then apply that for next time. I think editing your own work and constantly being critical of it is one of the best ways to get better as your always looking at how you could have shot that moment differently and how to handle it next time.

Thanks again.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:18 PM   #17
Regular Crew

nice highlights - great song from a great movie as well.
One of my top 5 picks for the year -
Into the wild is another one with a great soundtrack - maybe not for weddings, but for life.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques