A highlights Clip - In Reverse at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 12th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Still Motion

A highlights Clip - In Reverse

Tried something a little different with this one and I really liked how it turned out. Thought the folks on here might enjoy taking a peak.

Comments always welcome...

http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=332

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Nice Highlight clip Patrick. Different story telling process going in reverse. Your steady shots really added a dimension to the clips that couldn't be felt without using em. Very good job. I really liked the shot of the bride and groom in the window and also the groom walking up the stairs to meet the bride. The idea of wrapping the highlights around that clip came to mind. Thanks for sharing

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #3
Major Player

The camera work was awesome as usuall. How did you get Chiwei to shed that tear? That look like something out of a movie. Was the reverse highlight something the couple was wanting or did you all pitch that idea to them? It would nice to see some of the pictures you all took. You all have the greatest imaginations when it come to photos and video.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Very nice work Patrick. Picking your brain, how much of that was hand/held stablizer and/or vest. I remember a couple of months back you made the statement that you are doing more handheld, didn't know how much of that clip was or was not.

We're using our vest/arm combo next weekend and I am stoked about the flexibility it will give us, especially at this gig, which is pretty big room wise.

Again, very nice work Patrick, just let me know when my copy is coming so I can post it as my demo on my page. hehe. I love the color effects btw, shame you couldn't get the bride up in the airplane. :}
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Still Motion

Monday,

I'm glad you enjoyed the movement in the clip so much. I really felt it was the perfect location to really get some nice open shots with lots of movement and I think it really took this clip to another level.

Patrick
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo Alvidrez View Post
The camera work was awesome as usuall. How did you get Chiwei to shed that tear? That look like something out of a movie. Was the reverse highlight something the couple was wanting or did you all pitch that idea to them? It would nice to see some of the pictures you all took. You all have the greatest imaginations when it come to photos and video.

Lalo,

The tear was from Chiwei and Stacy watching their love story and SDE we had prepared. The idea of dong it in reverse is something I have thought about for a while, almost did a couple other times and it just seemed like the perfect fit for this one. I didn't mention it to the couple, but they trusted us enough that I felt comfortable with the direction I was going. The couple really appreciates the 24P filming, the 35mm adapter work, the steadicam, ad all the color work we do so I really thought they would be the perfect fit for the unusual story line, plus their day was oranized perfectly for it.

Patrick
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Still Motion

Steven,

All the movement in this clip was done with the full vest arm setup. We only had two rigs going that day, a stationary (more or less) 35mm adapter, and the XLH1 on a steadicam We popped out a couple more static cams for the ceremony and reception events.

Being it was out of town, we had to consolidate a bit more than usual, and there was just so much room that I decided to use te flyer for most of the day. Oh, your demo is in the mail.

Patrick
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Steven,

All the movement in this clip was done with the full vest arm setup. We only had two rigs going that day, a stationary (more or less) 35mm adapter, and the XLH1 on a steadicam We popped out a couple more static cams for the ceremony and reception events.

Being it was out of town, we had to consolidate a bit more than usual, and there was just so much room that I decided to use te flyer for most of the day. Oh, your demo is in the mail.

Patrick
Thanks Patrick for the information, and I hope you alread added my watermark, gees, don't make me work. :}
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Again Patrick well done.
Did you shoot the ceremony with the 35mm? I like how Chiwei said that it was sweat rolling down instead of a tear. Very manly. Did you get much hassle shooting accross the pond so to speak? Great location, I only wish I had those luxuries.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Wow

You bring us all up levels by sharing your work. I hope I can get half as good some day.

Thanks.
Ken Gilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #11
Major Player

Wonderful wonderful.

I know for sure this was a very difficult piece to do. But you pulled it off amazingly.

At the 1:30 mark I was fully engaged with the flow and expectant of the chronology so I was able to enjoy the piece without a hint of confusion.

A very minor and nitpicky comment would be how "weak" the couple of opening shots. Not weak technically (you guys never are) but prep shots as opening for a highlights in reverse takes away from the structure.

Shots with inferences to the wedding being over (confetti on the floor, half finished champagne bottle or opened gifts) would have rocked. But of course the edit decision was done way after the shoot. It's just nice to think of could haves.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Makes me want to get married all over again just as long as you get to shoot and edit it!!!

That was beautiful work.

What was the song? It seemed just perfect for your shot selections.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #13
Regular Crew

That was some serious steadycam work!
Congratulations.
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #14
Major Player

Beutiful shots! The steadycam work is trully amazing.

I was wondering how are you with matching the colours to the A1/H1 and the HV20 that you had for the wide shot higher up?
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #15
Still Motion

Jason B.,

We didn't use the 35mm adapter for the ceremony at all actually. As there was lots of light, we shot from further away and zoomed in which gave us more depth, although the bokeh is still very videoish. Lets just say we had some issues shooting there. I agree though, it is amazing to get locations like that to shoot at, especially with such an awesome couple.

Ken,

I'm glad you enjoyed the clip so much.

Winfried,

Thanks for the comments. The steadicam work is something I have been working on for a while now and I find it to be getting very very smooth lately although some of my lateral moves still need a lot of work.

Peter,

The H1 and A1 have similar images, the H1 just seems to have a bit more life. Being that I do a lot of color work, it usually is very simple to match up those cams. Adding the HV20 in the mix does make it harder, but, again, knowing how to use curves and different color tool s makes it a very quick fix. The wide angle on the hv20 was a raynox .3 fisheye.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques