Fun with Motion! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #31
Regular Crew

John - The glidecam 2000 does get heavy quick, I've been using it for so long that I gotten used to it. Although its not as smooth as I wish it could be. I've haven't tried the forearm brace so I'm not sure how it would do

With the smooth-cam filter I apply it before the slow motion. But doing slow-mo and smooth cam together can make the clip do funny things. I usually do the smooth-cam and then export the clip out in ProRes then bring it back in for the slow-mo.

Scott - I'm using Encore and the FastMac burner to make the Blu-ray disc's.

Graphic design has never been my strong point, I'm always striving to make it better. No offense taken, thats what this forum is for. Its hard to try and master even one type of art let alone 5 or 6 haha. Thanks though I need to try and find some good books on that.

Richard - I export out of Compressor using QuickTime H.264 at 1700kbits. Set it for streaming. That will do the trick!

Steve - Thanks for the compliments. It's and honor to see people inspired by my work. The blur filters I use come from the CGM DVE Vol.2+ series. It is actually a mask filter inverted. You can find it here - www.cgm-online.com
Joe Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #32
Major Player

Sorry...double post in error.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #33
Major Player

"Richard - I export out of Compressor using QuickTime H.264 at 1700kbits. Set it for streaming. That will do the trick!"

Wow, thats a seriously high data rate. What frame size is that at?

Do you not get complaints about slow streaming or, have you got some kind of dedicated hosting/server?
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Frame size is 640x360. It streams great. My host is quite fast and I've never had a problem......Even something like this -

http://www.joesimonproductions.com/c...eceremony.html

This is 109 mb and it will play right away. I've never had any complaints. Of course this is not meant for dial-up.
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #35
Regular Crew

qUESTIONS ABOUT twixtor

Joe very very nice well done beautiful quality - HD i take it?
...how did u get to grips with the plug-in - im using it in FCP 6...was it a long learning curve?
Have you seen the demo film with the rock band on there site? Amazing use of the plug-in!
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Yes it's HD, Shot with the Canon XHA1

The plug-in is tough at first, but the more you work with it the more you know what its going to do. A little trick you can do is use the speed control in FCP take it to like 40% and see where it takes you then when you have a good speed to fit your section then use the Twixtor one.

I did see the video of the band! It's crazy, must have taken them weeks.
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #37
Major Player

Hey Joe,

Love the quality of the footage in this clip. Keeps me dreaming of the day when I'll get an A1 of my own.

Gorgeous location as well - and cool time remapping.

I agree with Patrick, some colour grading would really take this clip to the next level.

I really enjoyed watching it - thanks for posting!

Cheers,

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #38
Major Player

Very Nice Joe! Question.. do you shoot by yourself and constantly have to remove the camera off the glidecam and put it back on?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #39
New Boot

Hey Joe great stuff.
Just had a few questions. What transition do you use for the quick burn to white dissolves? I hope you know what I mean. I know there are different transition packs out there. I really liked the one you are using.

Also, in the Marisa and Vince video, did you shoot with super8 film? or was that footage manipulated in post? If you did that in post... WOW. can you share with us how?
Oscar Nam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Yang - I always shoot with one other person. I have a quick-release set up on the glidecam so I can pull it off quickly and mount it on the mono-pod.

Oscar - The "flash frame" burn comes stock with FCP. I really like the way it looks. In the Marisa & Vince shoot we used super 8 film. I wish I could replicate super 8 that good in post, but as of yet no luck.

Thanks for the comments guys! FYI this piece did go through CC with magic bullet I just probably needed to push it a little harder. I've been working on some new stuff pushing my CC skills, hopefully I will post something soon.
Old April 15th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #41
New Boot

What is the transition called for the flash frame burn?
Am I blind? I can't seem to find it. I have been using dip to color and setting the color to white. I don't like the way that looks though compared to that burn you have going on.
Oscar Nam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:29 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Nam View Post
What is the transition called for the flash frame burn?
Am I blind? I can't seem to find it. I have been using dip to color and setting the color to white. I don't like the way that looks though compared to that burn you have going on.
Hi, I just wanted to repeat this question for Joe, I can't find it either :)

thanks
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Ok so apparently I'm retarded, cause it's not an FCP plugin. After checking again I figured out it's a free plugin you can download from here - www.mattias.nu/plugins/

It comes with a bunch of other ones that I never use but the FlashFrame is great!
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #44
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Simon View Post
Peter, Twixtor does not work perfectly for slowing down everything. There can be some warping on certain types of shots. From my experience when you have a shot with windows in the background or lots of moving objects like pedals you will have a hard time slowing it down. In these instances it can causes warping.

But for the most part it has been an amazing addition to my editing collection.
hey, Joe.. have you tried using time remapping within final cut or the slow motion in motion? i'm just wondering if twixtor is actually doing something that neither of those programs can do... maybe it's just faster/easier in twixtor?
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #45
Regular Crew

I have used the one in FCP and with 24p footage it does not look good. I hate that strobing slow motion look it produces. I have not tried motion's, but I'll give it a go. I have just found that twixtor makes for really smooth slow mo.
Joe Simon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques