DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Highlight to Share (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/114938-highlight-share.html)

Patrick Pike February 15th, 2008 04:10 PM

Highlight to Share

Once again I find that I haven't shared anything in a while and thought it is time. I made a highlight video for this couple to a Frank Sinatra tune, but I didn't like the feel of it, so I went back and did this. I like the mood of this, although I'm the first to admit the footage needs help. I think it may be time for me to look the steadicam way.

C&C always appreciated!

http://homepage.mac.com/ppike/videos/amie_ryan_hi.mov

Chris Harris February 15th, 2008 04:57 PM

Wow, that is an amazing piece of work. I love the voice over. The black and white was tastefully done. It made the sky in the first shot look really nice.
I'm no expert, but that footage doesn't "need work" to me. Everything looked beautiful to me. Not that it really matters since your footage is fantastic, but I'm curious, what camera are you using?

Also, you forgot to use the "fast start" QT flag, so I had to wait for the whole thing to download before I could watch. It was worth it though!

Peter Szilveszter February 15th, 2008 05:54 PM

Thats nicely edited together and some great shots, well with no steadicam you did an excellent job. As a critique I would have done the change to colour and the swell of the music when they first kiss to really give the impact.

Patrick Pike February 20th, 2008 06:08 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

Chris-
The majority of the shots came from a Sony Z1U with a few shots from a Sony A1U. Thanks for picking up on the QT flag too, somehow I missed that (fixed it now).

Peter-
I think you're right on when to change from BW to color. I will give that a try and see how it looks. Originally, I went for the "bigger" musical hit, but it doesn't look right this way.

Vito DeFilippo February 20th, 2008 06:40 PM

Patrick, that's great stuff.

The opening shot is amazing. Perfect with what you've done with the title.

I agree the colour change would be better at the kiss. The VO works well.

One comment. Everything is so perfectly exposed that the overexposed shot of them coming out of the church suffers. If you back it up a bit are they better exposed farther into the church? It would be better even if they aren't so close.

Same with the shot near the end of them walking away "Hand in Hand" as you nicely match with the VO. The beginning of the shot is blown.

I use the same camera as you. Nice to see the beautiful images you make with it.

Really nicely done...

Forgot to ask if the groom is Italian. He speaks to her in Italian at the end, but Ryan isn't really an Italian name...

Ram Purad February 21st, 2008 08:50 AM

Great Work!

Great work Patrick,

Well exposed and composed shots.

Change over from BW to colour (when they first kiss) looks good. It would be even better if you could pump up the saturation on the colour clip even more so that the transition is more dramatic. You could even take it one step further by using a radial gradient travel matte as the transition so that the bw to colour propagate from centre (ie. lip lock point) to edges of the frame. Just an idea.

Great work overall.

Patrick Pike February 26th, 2008 11:08 AM

Thanks again-

The shot of the b&g walking out was blocked by photographers and audience stepping out. That was just about the cleanest clip I got from that angle to work with. In color, its a larger difference because the doors to the church were open right behind me giving totally different color balances. In other words, the closer they got to me, the more of a blue tint they got.

I'm going to give the radial gradient a try. I like that idea (if done "soft" enough).

The groom is Italian and was wonderful to work with.

Vito DeFilippo February 26th, 2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Pike (Post 833354)
The shot of the b&g walking out was blocked by photographers and audience stepping out. That was just about the cleanest clip I got from that angle to work with.

Yeah. Isn't that the way sometimes. You just have no choice.

Great work.