DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   School productions/plays (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/115286-school-productions-plays.html)

Tim Sargent February 20th, 2008 07:43 AM

School productions/plays

Ive been approached to film end of term plays and productions for a primary school. Im struggling to know what to charge.

Im thinking of presenting 2 options to them.

1. They pay me a fee for filming/editing/producing the DVD including duplication.
2. I film/edit/produce for free, and make the money off the DVD's.

Your thoughts and ideas much appreciated!

Ger Griffin February 20th, 2008 08:04 AM

The first thing you have to decide is how much you want to end up with for doing this job.
The second thing is how to get it.
I am going to throw out a figure to work with although you may not agree.
$500.
Oprion 1. Like you suggest, You could tell the teacher she/he needs to guarantee you 25 copies @ €20each. and for the money to be collected in advance.
Option 2. You could tell her it will cost €250 and copies are an additional €10 each, and for the money to be collected in advance.
Or some other similar strategy should work. I would personally go for option 1. It doesen't sting the schools funds too much and the teacher does your work of collecting money for copies.

What I wouldn't be doing is the full job on the hope that you will sell copies. Its a dangerous game these days with nearly every schoolkid having the ability to copy dscs. An in my schooldays experience, however long ago, its in most teachers blood to copy things. The amount of photocopied sheets from books we were handed out was enough to wipe out a forest.

You need to be guaranteed a minimum fee.

Richard Wakefield February 20th, 2008 08:23 AM

i was thinking of getting into this by the end of the year too...hopefully someone can post example english prices

i was thinking of an option whereby each copy generates the school X amount and myself Y amount. that way the school might help to promote it more :) there would also be a one off fee on top of that.

Stelios Christofides February 20th, 2008 02:45 PM

I have done 8 school plays last year and I charged 350 Euros for 3 DVDS and 8,50 Euros each copy they want.

Stelios

Matt Bishop February 20th, 2008 08:56 PM

Definitely make sure something is guaranteed to you. I've done a few recitals and productions where I was paid by the company and then also sold the DVD's. I lowered the cost of the DVD's a bit just because I did get paid to do the work. I've also shot for close to nothing and only made the money from the DVD sales. This worked great one year so I did it again the next and nobody bought anything. I might have actually lost money on that project. ya live and learn :-). There is no guarantee with doing it that way so you need to present it with a number of sales. Tell them that you need at least X amount of pre sales for you to even do it, or go the route of charging them to do it and then the DVD sales are extra. Just some thoughts from my experience.

Matt

G. Lee Gordon March 13th, 2008 09:25 AM

I've done several school plays. I never charge up front. I always give a DVD to the Principal, the play director, and the school library. What you charge depends on our total overhead cost (varies for everybody). I have always made a large profit doing it this way.
Note: Be careful about copyright infringements. If there are copyright infringements then charge a large sum up front and make a dvd for the school(check our local copyright laws).

Andre Tira March 13th, 2008 10:51 AM

I am doing my first school play this weekend and have booked 3 others in the next couple of months. I first ask how many parents will be at the show. Then take that number and divide it in half and that is my "expected" number of DVD sales. Based on this number, I set up a unit price for the DVD. On my contract, I state that the school guarantees I will sell xx number of copies or they will have to buy the difference.

My general price list is this:

< 30 copies = $30/ea
31-70 copies = $25/ea
71+ copies = $20/ea

I just checked with the director from the school that im doing this weekend, and he said 80% of the parents have ordered a DVD!!! And that does not even include copies. I know its a bit of a gamble, but this one at least pays off.

Mike Bisom March 13th, 2008 10:58 AM

The only way we shoot plays or dance recitals is an up front fee for shooting/editing based on the project. This fee usually includes a certain number of DVDs with a quote on additional fulfillment as needed. It then becomes the school or dance studio's to sell them for whatever they like. I usually break down a cost analysis for them. Taking individual orders for a DVD is a sure fire way to lose money.

Mike

Andre Tira March 13th, 2008 11:10 AM

I dont have a lot of experience yet in these type of productions but what I have learned is the school wants as little to do as possible. For me all they have to do is distribute and collect order forms. Again I've only spoken to four different schools but I'm pretty sure that if i told them they had to pay themselves for the DVD's upfront and then make their money back from the parents, most of them would of not hired me. I know the risk is on my end, but it has potential to do good. Also, I study the town the school is in and how financially wealthy they are and thats how I determine the amount of risk I want to put in.