Looking for Critique - Michigan State Gardens - Cocktail Hour/Photo Session at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Looking for Critique - Michigan State Gardens - Cocktail Hour/Photo Session

Here is a clip that I finished about a week ago. The clip is from the photo session and cocktail hour that took place immediately following the ceremony.

It was very important to the couple to have shots of their reception room, and also messages from their guests. Let me know how you think it worked.

thanks!

the clip...
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Matt,
Solid work. Great stability on the cam through out and enjoyable. For this style of work your really nailing it. 2 things came to mind watching your video. 1 the opening shot of the flowers on the table was way to long, it was around 5-6 secs I would cut it down to 3. The other thing is you did a very nice job with including the interviews portion but for the next one use them more like voice overs. Having scenes from the photo session and reception on the screen as each person is speaking but also cutting to that speaker at some point. Hopefully that makes sense. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I liked the video as well. And yes, that day is much better than it would have looked in pouring rain. I liked the spin on the tables as well. I do that, but not on purpose. hehe.

Good stuff, the color looked really nice.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:11 PM   #4
New Boot

There are too many clips that have zooms in them. At the midway point to the end there are at least 5 noticeable clips that have zooms that start and stop. This does not look good. Try to cut out the zooming.

Brian Peterson
Allure Films

Last edited by Brian Peterson; March 3rd, 2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Brian Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks for the comments.

I am glad to hear that the shots are smooth enough for your critical eyes. 90% of the shots were hand held. The others were on a monopod.

Monday, I agree with your comment about split edits on the interview footage. I do that all the time with corporate/documentary work. The clips just seemed to fit so well in the instrumental breaks of the song that it didn't even pop into my mind to work it that way.

I have been trying to give more attention to color lately. I didn't do much with this video. Just some basic level and saturation adjustment. The sun provided brilliant color, but was very harsh and introduced high contrast and exposure difficulties.
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Excellent closing shot...
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Great work. It was nice and simple but the framing on the cake could be improved,
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Nice work Matt. I really like the music, it fit in very well with the interviews. Beautiful ending, but my only prob was most of the zoom ins could have been cut out.
Over all you did a great job.
Rich Woodrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques