DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   VX1000/2000 or GL1 or GL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/116586-vx1000-2000-gl1-gl2.html)

Rich Hull March 8th, 2008 08:54 PM

VX1000/2000 or GL1 or GL2?

Another question on which cam for a newbie. I have read many of the threads, and am learning much from them. I need a cam for frequent taping of a local play theatre, and am researching a reasonable cam for event/weddings. The theatre's previous videographer uses only one cam, but doesn't make enough on the limited orders. I would do the work for free, like I have read, just for experience. I have been looking at e bay, and am not sure about going in that direction... any help would be apppreciated.

Frank Simpson March 8th, 2008 11:08 PM

Really any of the above cameras ought to do well for you, although I would tend to go for the newer models.

A friend of mine until very recently used a VX1000 as part a live feed to a large screen in his magic show. he was always very pleased with its performance.

I personally have purchased 3 GL2s (all carefully scrutinized on ebay) and I have been extremely happy with them. I have used them to tape plays and musicals that I've directed and they've done very well for me. Usually I'll set one as a static wide shot and use the second for medium/close up shots. (Since I directed the show, there are seldom any kinds of surprises as to who will be doing what, so I'm able to choose my shots well!)

I capture my audio separately to an Edirol R44 and sync it up in FCP. I'll usually have 2 - 3 mics for the stage, and 1 on the audience.

I'm sure that there are many opinions on this subject, but I can tell you that I have been very happy with the GL2s.

Marcus Marchesseault March 9th, 2008 12:14 AM

I've seen the pro/big-sister of the VX2000, the PD170, going for under $1500 on this forum's classifieds. I would rather trust a forum member than the general auctioning public. I would also prefer the pro version of these cameras considering the negligible price difference these days.

Also, I wouldn't even consider the VX1000 now that it is so old and outmoded. The newer cams are affordable and do a much better job.

Reg Gothard March 9th, 2008 10:37 AM

I use VX2000/2100 for shooting my theatre group's plays as well as the usual smorgasbord (sp?) of event videographer's work (weddings, dance, concerts, equestrian, grad...)
I'd agree that if you're buying used, you should go for the PD150/170 rather than the VX... but only because the price difference is negligible. The PD has XLR mic inputs, whereas you have to sling an XLR adapter under the VX to use real microphones, and an XLR adapter will set you back $200 - $250.
Other consideration is that the Sonys cannot be beaten for low light shooting. If you're considering doing weddings etc, this might be a factor in your decision.

Stephen J. Williams March 9th, 2008 12:04 PM

I use the cannon GL2... It's a great starter camera. Not that hard to use and with enough manual functions to learn the "ropes".
Downside is that it's low light performance isn't anything to brag about.
It's not a big deal if there are bright lights illuminating your subjects. But if you plan on doing weddings, i don't recommend this camera.
good luck in your search

Bill Grant March 9th, 2008 07:27 PM

Rich, there are 2 VX2100s for sale in the Classified's right now hint hint... :) I'd be willing to make a deal...
Bill

Rich Hull March 10th, 2008 02:33 PM

choice

Thanks for the input.
I am still looking for the right cam.
Although ebay looks cheaper, I may just go with one of the sponsors, b&h photo. we'll see.
It seems a lot of threads mentions the low light advantages of the sony over the canon, regardless of either the gl1 or gl2 vs. the vx1000 or vx2000.
Bottom line for me would be cost.
As I will need other gear, I can't afford the best yet. I will have to opt towards a used or cheaper first cam for now.
Also I am thinking about a Sony 1 chip as a second cam for b-roll. Something like a trv330, trv740 or similar.
I was looking at the software vegas 8... any input on sony's video software?
Thanks again for everyone's help. This entire forum is great and I appreciate the honesty and help...
Rich
Last thing... I can'tfind the classifieds in this forum... maybe I need to wait for a bit... I just recently joined this forum...

Steven Davis March 10th, 2008 02:53 PM

I have a Gl2, and I will be buried with it. It's a great camera. It's been solid for me.

Mike Oveson March 11th, 2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Hull (Post 840181)
I was looking at the software vegas 8... any input on sony's video software?

I've been using Vegas for the past three years. It's a great NLE and I recommend it, especially for someone starting out. It's not very expensive and it's easier to get used to. There's a great community here for it as well. You can download a demo and give it a whirl, see how you like it.

Jason Robinson March 12th, 2008 05:54 PM

Second on Vegas (slightly OT RE GL2)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Oveson (Post 840652)
I've been using Vegas for the past three years. It's a great NLE and I recommend it, especially for someone starting out. It's not very expensive and it's easier to get used to. There's a great community here for it as well. You can download a demo and give it a whirl, see how you like it.

(Just a quick fan plug for Vegas)
It has the advantage of combine a lt of functionality with out the need for any extra plugins (assuming you don't want real fancy audio EQ work, or very fast rendered movie effects).

The Pan/Crop (aka Ken Burns) is unrivaled in easy of use. When I started only 3 years ago I tried out Liquid, Avid Express, Vegas 6, & Premier Pro. I settled with Vegas partially for price, also because there is a wealth of information here (DVInfo that is) for Vegas that pretty much answered all my remaining questions.

Also, the upgrade path is pretty cheap ($150 every year for the latest version) and it is constantly being improved. Look else where if you want those "wow" graphics (get an After Effects guy) or very very fancy text / credits effects.

You can do a lot with it if you know just a little, and you can do almost everything with a lot of learning and trial and error. Also..... you will need a BIG beefy machine if you want to do HD. Nothing less than a Core 2 Duo & 2GB of RAM.