Prep Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Prep Video

I got a chance to practice some of what I learned on Mark Von Lanken Moving Camera Techniques. This is way harder than one would think, but hopefully with some more practice it will improve.

Shot from a wedding we did Saturday, March 8th, There were 8 people on each side of the wedding party and getting dressed in a motel room, add in a few extra people and a couple twin beds and you have No room to work. :)

http://www.kyserphoto.com/Prep.mov

as always critiques and ideas appreciated.

Denny
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #2
New Boot

Nice!

Nicely done. You gave me some ideas for prep shooting. Something I still struggle with.
Russell Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Well Denny you did ok on this one. You will need more practice but that comes with time and actually practicing around the house and other places. A few things I thought you could have done better on the editing. 1 the shot of the guy in the mirror one of the lasts shots, at the end of it you move to do something else but you left that move in over the transition, you should have cut that part out where you put the camera down. 2nd on the brides side when she was getting into her dress the framing isn't right it's way to high. 3rd when you arrive at the church all your camera movements were really shaky and could use slow-motion till you get it right. Lastly there is a style of video out there that uses the zoom function on the camera. It can be mastered and can look quite good but the key is to cut the start to the zoom and the end of the zoom out of your editing. You were really playing with your zoom here, for the next one try not to play with it as much but rather use it to create the effect you desire at the time. That's my thoughts. You're still very new to the video side and have a ways to go but your a lot farther than many guys in my area and in my market (quinceanera market) I commend you on that. Keep practicing you'll get there. Take Care

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback.

By no means is this a final edit, of this 3 1/2 mins of video I will only use a small part of it for the highlights. Some things I am not sure about are the rack focus and like mentioned the zoom. I did a lot of things I knew may not make the edit just so I could practice with the footage. I agree with the shaky stuff, I tried using the glidecam 4000 and not good at it yet. I have lots to learn and lots of practice to do yet.

Again thanks for the help, will take your advice when I put the highlight show together. The only people that have seen this is you guys.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques