DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Leavin' Las Vegas- Photographer Shoot Out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/117807-leavin-las-vegas-photographer-shoot-out.html)

Patrick Moreau March 25th, 2008 11:07 PM

Leavin' Las Vegas- Photographer Shoot Out

Michael and I were lucky enough to get flown down to Las Vegas to cover a shootout/workshop with a bunch of photographers. The shoot featured John Michael Cooper, David Beckstead, Mark Eric, Jason Domingues (of trashthedress.com and dontboxusin.com), some of the crew from TriCoast photo, Matt and Sol from Flashflavor.com, as well as many others. The group who organized the event, sold tickets to come and shoot with them in the desert along with about 12 models.

Just FYI, David Beckstead is the one doing the opening and closing to the little promo and dontboxusin.com is a site created to feature creative talent in photo and video.

http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=396

Shot with the XLH1 on a steadicam and a Canon A1/brevis/100mm Canon EOS lens. Color was processed in Apple's Color.

Patrick

Monday Isa March 26th, 2008 06:36 AM

Very nice Patrick! Love the steady movement and very nice shallow depth of field in your video. A lot of those pictures were very top notch and the one Amina did really stood out from the entire collection. I just loved the color and the angle of her picture. Lastly nice color grading. Thanks for sharing

Monday

Patrick Moreau March 26th, 2008 09:14 AM

Glad you enjoyed it Monday.

I just uploaded an HD version on to Vimeo here:

http://vimeo.com/825804

Monday Isa March 26th, 2008 09:29 AM

Patrick the vimeo clip is set to private you need to switch it to public.

Patrick Moreau March 26th, 2008 09:35 AM

Thanks for catching tha Monday. I switched it over.

Richard Wakefield March 26th, 2008 09:49 AM

great as always and good fun to watch (playing dodgems around the photographers! :)
also, i thought the still-motion photos from the collection were really quite superior (even amongst all that amazing talent!)

some of the shots seemed quite dark for you Patrick...from the footage itself, or from post-production?

anyway, amazing stuff...

Patrick Moreau March 26th, 2008 09:57 AM

Thanks Richard, glad you caught our photo and enjoyed them so much.

Some of the footage certainly is darker, I noticed that as well. In post I tried to push the footage less to keep it really clean when viewed in HD. When I start with HD source footage and deliver in SD only I can push things much further without a noticeable degradation. The sun was also rather blazing so it made a lot of the shots very tough to expose with such a limited latitude. The shots into the sun with the brevis look rather underexposed but they were so filmic that I had to lave them in.

Patrick

Lou Kulynych March 26th, 2008 10:05 AM

That was a Cool Video!! I hope it was n't too hot there.

Richard Wakefield March 26th, 2008 10:29 AM

i thought as much Patrick... and as we all know, we haven't got the benefit of flash guns to help us out in underexposed situations!

really did look like a great day out...just remind yourself that that's your job!! amazing eh!

Bill Busby March 26th, 2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 848740)
Some of the footage certainly is darker, I noticed that as well.

It's that saturated crushed black grunge look only without crushing the blacks :D

Awesome stuff Patrick! You guys shot the hell out of that.

Jason Bowers March 26th, 2008 01:06 PM

Great as usual Patrick,
So envious at the amount of travel time you guys get, Cali next...wow. What shoulder mount was Michael using with the Brevis, or was it just handheld on the rails? Great job again.

Konrad Czystowski March 26th, 2008 01:58 PM

AWESOME!!!
I love the brevis work, nice steadicam shots and most of all, color grading.
That look is so nice!
I'm with Mona on the pictures. Amina's pics are so nice.

Excellent work!

Michael Y Wong March 26th, 2008 02:32 PM

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately the shoulder mount that I was using was my right bicep (which was burning profusely during/after the shoot). It was the full brevis setup (rails+flip+100mm macro) which became quite heavy after a while. Ideally I would have liked to use the 70-200 for even tighter desert shots but then the rig would have been even heavier (for a 5 hour shoot). I'm looking to experiment with a decent shoulder mounted setup for the brevis (my spiderbrace will not suffice).

Next time I'm going to be wearing my new steadicam and will be passing the ridiculously heavy brevis rig to Patrick!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bowers (Post 848859)
Great as usual Patrick,
So envious at the amount of travel time you guys get, Cali next...wow. What shoulder mount was Michael using with the Brevis, or was it just handheld on the rails? Great job again.

Ethan Cooper March 26th, 2008 02:38 PM

By far my favorite shots were from the Brevis, but geez that setup adds a lot of length to the camera.
Also, do all the photogs have to toss around buzz words? If you made it a drinking game, people would be having their stomachs pumped by the end of the piece.

Jason Bowers March 26th, 2008 02:42 PM

Hi Michael,
WOW that must have hurt. Dennis is in the process of having his shoulder mount built at cinevate as we speak. I have been in a few times to see the progress, looks pretty impressive right now. Hopefully out before this summer hits.