Fashion Show Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 27th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Fashion Show Video

Hello,

I will be recording a fashion show this weekend with 2 cams. The show will be in a auditorium on a stage. I'm sure that one camera will be on a tripod in a fixed position shooting the stage wide from the front. My question is about cam2...should I have this cam for tight shots from the front or at a side angle? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Davis View Post
Hello,

I will be recording a fashion show this weekend with 2 cams. The show will be in a auditorium on a stage. I'm sure that one camera will be on a tripod in a fixed position shooting the stage wide from the front. My question is about cam2...should I have this cam for tight shots from the front or at a side angle? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Troy
I would watch the Fashion or Lifetime channel or something and see how they do it. Also, watch your lighting.
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Major Player

cool. thanks much.
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Troy,

Are you doing anything for music, in particular music rights? That has so far discouraged me to do things like fashion shows. Just curious how you tackled that topic, if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks,
Martin
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
Troy,

Are you doing anything for music, in particular music rights? That has so far discouraged me to do things like fashion shows. Just curious how you tackled that topic, if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks,
Martin
Martin,

All I do is record the fashion show along with the music they use when the models model the clothes. Are you talking about another type of music?
please explain?
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

this may give you some ideas. i did this 3 years ago.

http://www.capturingthemoments.com/t...ashionshow.wmv
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Don,

Great video! What was the setup for this as far as # of cams and positions?
Also, did you shoot it with all the dutch angles in this video or was most of this done in post. Again great work!!!

Troy
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Don,

Great video! What was the setup for this as far as # of cams and positions?
Also, did you shoot it with all the dutch angles in this video or was most of this done in post. Again great work!!!

Troy
2 cams...1 on the side of the runway sitting as a guest and the other roams. most of the shots on the clip was from the roaming cam. dutch angles were shot as is.

good luck this weekend
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Don,

Thanks for the input. Btw, your site is great and the reframe event sounds like a blast. Maybe one day I will be eligible to attend. May I ask what type of cams you used for the fashion show shoot? Did you also use your smooth shooter back then or is that something you added after the fashion show event. I currently have a vx2000 and vx2001. Lastly, what do you edit with?
I promise these are my last questions:-)

Thanks,
Troy
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Major Player

Troy,
Quote:
All I do is record the fashion show along with the music they use when the models model the clothes. Are you talking about another type of music?
No, that's exactly the type of music I'm talking about. So far, I've turned down jobs like the one you described because it seemed cost prohibitive to get the necessary music rights for the video. So I am hoping to learn from others that have dealt with this problem before.

Thanks,
Martin
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hi Don,

Thanks for the input. Btw, your site is great and the reframe event sounds like a blast. Maybe one day I will be eligible to attend. May I ask what type of cams you used for the fashion show shoot? Did you also use your smooth shooter back then or is that something you added after the fashion show event. I currently have a vx2000 and vx2001. Lastly, what do you edit with?
I promise these are my last questions:-)

Thanks,
Troy
hi troy, that was shot with pd170's and edited on edius. everything was hand held eventhough i had the stabilizer back then.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I just shot a two-cam fashion (alone) a few weeks back. I would suggest if the run-way area is not a nice long rectangle like we normally envision and perhaps abit more square like a dance floor,, that you discuss with the coordinator the extents of where the models will be walking and place small marks on the floor.

Even after I discussed with the coordinator the run and camera coverage area, she let the models deviate which caused them to be off the main cam. Although my roaming camera picked up the slack for this. But if your trying to capture reaction shots there will be a black hole during part of the run. This happened to me as the models just decided to go where ever they wanted with no regards to the actual run plan. Another lesson learned...
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for the tip Vince.
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #14
Major Player

The fashion show shoot when well. As always, there were some shots I wish I would have gotten that I missed. I basically placed a main cam at the back of the auditorium centered on the runway and the other cam I used to rome. This allowed me to get great closeups. I will post some sample footage when I finish editing.

Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques