Printable DVD problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Printable DVD problems

A client sent me this email:
"I heard that the color photo on the disk itself working it's way into the disc and degrading the data. Have you heard of these printable discs degrading due to the ink?"

Anyone hear of problems? This is a new one to me.
Herm Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

news to me. Man If that's the case I'm going to be in a lot of trouble in 10 years or so.
Ah, what the hell, i'm not going to worry about even if it is true (which personally I doubt) but I'm a pretty skeptical guy.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Herm,

Hmm, oxidization, fungus, UV rays, heat/warpage can affect media but unless someone's using a toxic ink, you shouldn't worry about the ink itself. I suppose if the pen was something really sharp and pressed hard then maybe they'd damage the substrate. But since tens of millions of commercial DVDs are produced each year - all with ink, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Please share specific references from your client in this forum...

Regardless, when we're dealing with client contracts, below is the wording included in my contract.

Regards, Michael

----------

(VENDOR NAME) cannot guarantee the durability of DVD and other media over the years and does preserve an archive copy of the Client’s media unless specified in Section 2 of this agreement. The Client is encouraged to make backup copies of their media and use reasonable precautions to care for the media. See National Institute of Standards Publication 500-252:

Do:
1. Handle discs by the outer edge or the center hole.
2. Use a non-solvent-based felt-tip permanent marker to mark the label side of the disc.
3. Keep dirt or other foreign matter from the disc.
4. Store discs upright (book style) in plastic cases specified for CDs and DVDs.
5. Return discs to storage cases immediately after use.
6. Leave discs in their packaging (or cases) to minimize the effects of environmental changes.
7. Open a recordable disc package only when you are ready to record data on that disc.
8. Store discs in a cool, dry, dark environment in which the air is clean.
9. Remove dirt, foreign material, fingerprints, smudges, and liquids by wiping with a clean cotton fabric in a straight line from the center of the disc toward the outer edge.
10. Use CD/DVD-cleaning detergent, isopropyl alcohol, or methanol to remove stubborn dirt or material.
11. Check the disc surface before recording.

Do not:
1. Touch the surface of the disc.
2. Bend the disc.
3. Use adhesive labels.
4. Store discs horizontally for a long time (years).
5. Open a recordable optical disc package if you are not ready to record.
6. Expose discs to extreme heat or high humidity.
7. Expose discs to extremely rapid

Greater than 4°C (39°F) and Less than 20°C (68°F) 20% to 50% RH. A temperature of 18°C and 40% RH would be considered suitable for long-term storage. A lower temperature and RH is recommended for extended-term storage.
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm Stork View Post
Have you heard of these printable discs degrading due to the ink?"

Anyone hear of problems? This is a new one to me.
This very same problem was reported on another forum. And they weren't talking about those adhesive labels either.

The problem is that printiable disk media hasn't really been around that long. Also... if somebody leaves that thing in the player on pause overnight, I can certainly see the potential for this happening. Kind of makes lightscribe burners look better all the time (which I don't use). But I'm not even convinced that one of these, or any other DVD I burned will still play 5 years from now.

And you guys can cite all the contract verbage and "care" tips you want that limits your liability but if it does happen, your clients will only compare your disk to something that's 10 years older and still working just fine.

I wish I had the answer. (other than giving them a duplicate copy on tape).
Rick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques