Trash the Dress at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Trash the Dress

Hey gang

I wanted to share my first TTD here and get your feedback. We had a blast shooting this and it was my first time with a glidecam.

http://glasseyevideo.com/blog/2008/0...ash-the-dress/
Steve Zugelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I saw some great looking shots, especially the last one were she dropped the flowers and walked away in the water.
Must say that the vignetting ruined some shots as it created a circle in the middle of the image.
What type of glidecam did you use?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I loved the shot where she is walking into the warehouse and she is lit from the opposite side. That was gorgeous. The dropping of the bouquet was capture well. Great glidecam work.

Also, I've never heard that version of that Metallica song. Who is that? That was pretty cool.

If I can give any critique I would say quite a few of the shots were too similar. They are all good shots, but by the end of the song (which is a tad long maybe) I started to feel like I was seeing the same shots. I also think maybe you overused the slow motion, which may have contributed to feeling like I was seeing the same shots over and over by the end. Hope that helps!
Old April 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Some nice stuff although I thought way too many shots were too repetitive. Loved that walking into the warehouse/backlit shot also, but I wouldn't have used the shot following it where she's lit with the same lighting but frontal. I think it would have worked better to just leave that walking into warehouse shot as a teaser and leave it at that since it didn't need a complimentary one :)

I agree with the vignetting. There's a noticeable gradient in the center which is usually a dead giveaway it was done in post. Better to minimize that stuff if at all possible.

Thanks for sharing.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to check it out and give your feedback. Again, this is my first one, actually the first in the area. I'm very happy with it, I know its not perfect, but I'm working on another one and wanted to learn from this one. We had some phenomenal locations to take advantage of, but time was not on our side that day. Yeah, maybe I got a bit carried away with the vignette filter, something I've learned here.

Noa: I used the Glidecam 4000 w/smoothshooter
Travis: That song is by Bif Naked, rocks doesn't it!
Steve Zugelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, it's a cool song for sure. You also had some great locations. I used to live in Fairfield, just outside of Cinci, about 10 years ago. Take advantage of them!
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Trustee

Good overall shoot! On your glidecam shots, watch the bobbing up and down, it's noticable.

One way to tremendously improve your video is if you could cut your shots to the music. Make the visuals and the beat of the song work together. Right now what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing doesn't match. (I'm not talking about the lyrics, I'm talking about the accents and the beat of the instrumentals)
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #8
Still Motion

The shoot looks good, I think there are certainly some great shots there. I found two things that really took it down a notch for me- one was the vignette and bluring of the outside of the frame which really just tends to make it look cheaper when used that thick I find. The other was all the looking into the camera and somewhat fake looking posing.

You certainly had some cool shots and some great colors in there though.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques