Ingrid & Chris - HIGHLIGHT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Ingrid & Chris - HIGHLIGHT

Ingrid and Chris Highlight. FCP 2, MB, Sony Z1U, fisheye use.

http://northernlightfilmworks.com/yo...dhighlight.mov

Thanks,
John
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Nice work. I loved the transition of the bride with her hands in front of the lens. That was a brilliant shot, and worked perfectly with the music. The only problem with that shot was that the bride was overexposed in the 2nd part of the shot. Still a great idea!

I also liked the transition with the dance lessons and the actual dance.

I didn't really like the film effects. You only used it twice I think, but it just looked like a wannabe filter in action, and didn't really look filmic to me. If you want to pull that off better, try this. Adjust the frame rate of the clip to like 14fps, make it a subtle sepia tone and add some monochromatic camera noise. I just did this in a video yesterday and it worked pretty well.

My only other comment would be to watch the shaky cam shots. There were a few shots where the shakiness of the camera took away from your video. Just cut those shaky parts out if possible.

Otherwise, nice job!
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey John over all nice piece. Travis gave some good points and I'd like to add that around 3:20 on the vows you hear the bride say vows but it is over powered by the grooms voice. It could be the audio part was over looked and accidentally moved to that portion or it was intended. If it was intended the groom's voice is very dominant. Your clip reminded me of the end of The Lord of the Rings 3rd movie where everyone thought it ended but then the next scene came and you thought it was done then the next scene etc. same here. 3 different times it felt like the clip ended but it continued. Would've really flowed better if that feeling wasn't there. Thanks for sharing.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback...well taken.

On the vows....that was intentional...i generally don't like to include all the vows in a highlight and this was an attempt to move the piece along.

It's amazing Travis how many Brides have seen that transition in some of our other work and want to do the same.

Appreciate the constructive feedback.

-John
Old April 13th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I loved the transition of the bride with her hands in front of the lens. That was a brilliant shot
You took the words right out of my mouth, loved that transition as well, hope you don't mind me borrowing that idea for my next wedding. :)

I got more or less the same comment as Travis, only noticed one thing more and that was that one of your lenses was dirty because it had a lot of small spots on it, you saw it quite well with a bright background.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth, loved that transition as well, hope you don't mind me borrowing that idea for my next wedding. :)

I got more or less the same comment as Travis, only noticed one thing more and that was that one of your lenses was dirty because it had a lot of small spots on it, you saw it quite well with a bright background.
By all means use the reveal shot...brides like it and so do the mothers! Yeah i was a little upset to see the dust in post. Lesson learned is to wipe the lense before each shot. I like to use a lot of light / lense flare and any amount of dust is going to show up.

Thanks,
John

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques