DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Dance clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/119653-dance-clip.html)

Vito DeFilippo April 17th, 2008 10:01 PM

Dance clip

Hey all,

Here's a reception dance clip from the same wedding as before:

http://www.nosmallroles.com/julie_richard_dance.wmv

For those of you who aren't used to Quebec weddings, this is some of the dancing that happened DURING supper. One of the darkest receptions I worked at last year, so I had to push the footage more than I like, but I'm happy with it.

I'm sure you'll notice I like to play with the speed a lot. Perhaps not so noticeable is that I often tweak the speed to make it appear that they are dancing to the beat. Not every clip, just the ones that bug me.

Hope you enjoy it, and feel free to beat me up...

Tom Sessions April 17th, 2008 10:31 PM

That's cute...I can't beleive they still do the chicken dance up there. That like, died 2 years ago...I thought anyway.

Vito DeFilippo April 18th, 2008 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Sessions (Post 862634)
That's cute...I can't beleive they still do the chicken dance up there. That like, died 2 years ago...I thought anyway.

I thought it had died, too. Like line dancing. But everyone still knows it and you see it at weddings.

Finn Nielsen April 18th, 2008 12:35 PM

Really good video. It looks like people having a good time.

Stephen J. Williams April 18th, 2008 12:55 PM

I actually like the speed adjustment a lot. that was a great idea and came out looking real nice...

Travis Cossel April 18th, 2008 01:13 PM

What a great crowd! You have to love receptions were people are dancing it up and having a great time. The editing was great. Nice work!

The DJ dressed as a chef on rollerblades was hilarious. I actually thought it was the head chef at first!

Quick questions ... what wattage is your on-camera light ... brand?

Vito DeFilippo April 18th, 2008 01:35 PM

Hey Travis,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 863006)
Quick questions ... what wattage is your on-camera light ... brand?

I use the Sony 10/20. Always on 10 (unless it's a speech or I'm farther away), and with diffusion paper. I struggle with sticking bright lights in people's faces. Even on 10 they squint, but then it's not enought light, especially with a Z1 in a dark room. Oh, well, you do what you can...

Thanks, you guys, for checking it out and the encouraging feedback.

Jason Robinson April 18th, 2008 02:25 PM

OT: heh.... chicken dance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Sessions (Post 862634)

I worked for a YEAR to make sure my soon-to-be-wife knew I would not tolerate the chicken dance at my wedding. She, and her friends were dead set on doing it. But fortunately, my wife loves me and did not have the guy in charge of audio (also a friend of mine) play it at the reception. Her friends did run out into the groom's side photography session before the wedding and sing it to me (shudder). Let the 80s die already!

Vito DeFilippo April 18th, 2008 02:32 PM

That's funny, James.

At this particular wedding, the groom had put "The Chicken Dance" on a list of songs that were NOT to be played. The DJ did it anyway, and everyone, including the B&G, loved it.

Travis Cossel April 18th, 2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 863060)
That's funny, James.

At this particular wedding, the groom had put "The Chicken Dance" on a list of songs that were NOT to be played. The DJ did it anyway, and everyone, including the B&G, loved it.

I've seen that happen too. DJ's who are asked to not play a specific song, and yet they do it anyways. I think it's a poor decision to go against the couple's wishes, but looks like it worked out in this case. Most of the time the B&G are not too happy about it, though, lol.

Thanks for the info on the light. I'm looking at getting a Litepanels Micro.

Heather Darling April 19th, 2008 06:40 AM

great clip.... I wish my receptions were that much fun!

Along with the chicken dance... the hokey pokey & electric slide need to go as well!

Vito DeFilippo April 19th, 2008 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather Darling (Post 863363)
great clip.... I wish my receptions were that much fun!

That was nothing. I don't know why, but people go nuts here at receptions. It's completely different from weddings in, say, Ontario, where the receptions tend to be low key, lots of speeches during supper and no dancing till later.

Here, everyone's trashed and half naked by the main course (okay, maybe exaggerating, but you get the idea...).