Camera light for wedding -- need suggestions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #16
Major Player

I did a review of lights the beginning of 2007 and I think I posted it here...don't remember. But in any case, with regards to LED-based lights, the Sony LBP faired better than the Litepanles Mini Plus, which was better than the Zylight Z50, then the VidLED, etc. I did not test the Litepanels Micro, which wasn't available at the time and it's not anything worth looking at for creating great light...for an occasional, added fill, sure...but that's it.

I tested for throw, color, temperature, evenness, heat, consumption, focus/spotting, weight, and many other factors.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Travis,
Just for the record, when I got the Litepanel I threw a set of fully charged batteries in it, turned it to 100% power and turned it off at 3 hours. On a job I did a couple of weeks ago I went WELL IN EXCESS of 3 hours before I changed batteries-I estimate it was around 4-but it might have been 3 1/2.
just wanted to keep it straight. :-)
No problem. Thanks. I've just seen reviews stating much shorter run times on a set of batteries (like 60-90 minutes), but maybe they were using weaker batteries. Even 3 hours of runtime is pretty darn awesome.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM   #18
Trustee

Seems like the Sony LBP is a nice option? Anyone has footage of the throw n spread of the light?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Don: Is it possible for you to post a clip from your wedding showing the light throw of the litepanel?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:26 AM   #20
Trustee

I second that request for Micro/Mini/whatever it's called footage. Seems that people either love this thing or hate it.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Frezzi

I sold a leg, two kidneys, mortgaged my house and bought a couple of Frezzi Mini-fills, and batterys to boot.

I'm very happy with the lights, they come with 35 what dimmable bulbs in them. I had to have one of the cables custom made from Frezzi, it had to plug into our steadicam sled. The throw with these lights is really nice, even in a dark room.

The only critisism is that I could stand to difuse them more than the lowest setting. I'm doing my best to find some type of solution that doesn't involve 150.00 bucks or more.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:14 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
I second that request for Micro/Mini/whatever it's called footage. Seems that people either love this thing or hate it.
I'm ordering one, and I have weddings next month. I'll try and remember to post some footage.

On a side note, because the Litepanels don't get hot, you can basically put anything on the front of the light for diffusion or other effects, without having to worry about fire hazards. Nice.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Travis, just following the thread, can you post the link of exactly what you ordered/are ordering?
Thanks!
Suzanne Zorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:43 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Zorich View Post
Travis, just following the thread, can you post the link of exactly what you ordered/are ordering?
Thanks!
I'm ordering a Litepanels Micro.

www.litepanels.com

> click on Products

> select Micro
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks!
Anyone have a clever opinion between using the Frezzi mini's & the Litepanels?
I was about to order this one... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Mini_Fill.html
Suzanne Zorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I didn't like the Litepanels Micro so much. It has such a limited throw and the pattern is circular (hard to believe from a retangular array of LED's) I sent it back. It is real light and would be great for interviews but too much $ for such a narrow utility. Search this site on Lightpanels and Micro such as:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...tepanels+micro

I ended up buying a Swit LED light and adapter (was sold under Varizoom).
http://www.swit.us/on-camera-led-lights.html
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM   #27
Trustee

I ended up buying a Swit LED light and adapter (was sold under Varizoom).
http://www.swit.us/on-camera-led-lights.html[/QUOTE]

Steve - tell us more about these lights. Which of the two did you get? How do you power it? What is the light output like - etc?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Hey Steve, when you say a 'limited throw" how much throw do you want?

I ask because I've done about 10 weddings with the Litepanel Micro and have not found that to be the case at all. In fact at 10feet with both the diffusion and 1/4 warming filter on it I don't even go full power and still get a very nice image. I will say though that at about 10 feet and beyond there is a bit of a circular pattern but frankly it doesn't really bother me. I had that before with both my Bescor and even my Anton Bauer Ultralight with the softbox. I do agree that the lite is not made to be a room filler but for the majority of my wedding work it's been working out great. I just looked at the Swit and it does look like a very nice peice of gear. Have fun with it :-)

Yang, I just noticed your post about putting up a clip with the Micro. I'll see what I can do in the next couple of days. I'll be out all day tomorrow shooting so perhaps Friday I'll be able to do that.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I guess I need to clarify that I am shooting HD on a Canon A1. The circular pattern (drop off from center) showed up on mine in about 3-4 feet. I pointed at a bare white wall and after all the problems with the contacts I had I decided to send it back. The swit can throw 10-20 feet (e.g. first dance or speeches) and I can flip down the diffuser, adjust the level with the dimmer and go in close for dancing shots.

I had high hopes for the Micro for use on my Flowpod - based on light weight but it just seemed too weak for me.
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Hmmm, that's really strange. Maybe it's a QC issue from Litepanel. I use a .65WA on my 170 for receptions and again it's shown circ pattern but not til it gets out about 10 feet.
Goofy thing. Well enjoy your new SWIT!

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques