Wedding Lighting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 30th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #16
Inner Circle

My idea for using the light is to use it during important events, like the first dance, cake cutting, garter toss, etc. For pretty much everything else I will probably film without the light so I can get more candid shots. It all depends on the crowd, too, though.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM   #17
Trustee

Well I used my new "Mic Light" or at least the $10 camping light that I think is the same thing. For me it was pretty much usless I gave it to my daughter. It didnt give me enough light for anything, id like to see how it compares the Lit panels or some of the other LED out there.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM   #18
Inner Circle

here's a jpg from the timeline, no anything done to it. On the dark side of the dance floor far away from the DJs lighting. I was about 8 feet away, 1/60th-f/1.6,0 gain and the Litepanel micro with the diffusion and 1/4 warm filter at less than 100% power.
Oh yeah a .65WA lens attachment on the PD170.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Wedding Lighting-grandpa.jpg  
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
here's a jpg from the timeline, no anything done to it. On the dark side of the dance floor far away from the DJs lighting. I was about 8 feet away, 1/60th-f/1.6,0 gain and the Litepanel micro with the diffusion and 1/4 warm filter at less than 100% power.
Oh yeah a .65WA lens attachment on the PD170.

Don
Looks like plenty of light to me, especially given the settings you were using and the environment you were shooting in. Thanks for posting the pic. It makes me even more excited to have my Litepanels Micro arrive!
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #20
Regular Crew

My boss at the old company I worked for came to the office one day and brought this "new light" that he bought. After seeing all the footage he shot with it. I was very impressed. It was a Litepanel, (not the micro, the next step up) and it gives a very flattering soft light. It didn't blind people and it didn't suck batteries dry in a half hr of use. Nor did it get hot!

When i finally got around to shopping for one for myself, i found out how much a kit costs. Almost $1000 for a camera light! WOW!

But, he won't give his up for the world. It also doubles as a small source if you shoot short films/documentaries. It's great to stick inside a car or a cramped place where other kinds of lights are impossible.
Jon Furtado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #21
Trustee

thanks for the pic Don, I object to spending $1,000 for a light lighting is really important. The key is I need to try them first, I like the way LED is going although its just not there yet. I use a GY-HD100 which is really light hungry in really dark churches I can drag the shutter to 1/30 which is fine because there not alot of movment. At receptions I use a lowell I-light (55 watts) which gives me just the right light combo I need the problem is it blinds the guests and I think it will eventually hurt buisness.
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I've used the HD100 at weddings and receptions. I didn't have the LED at the time but here is where I started in the dark caves of receptions venues ;-)

50W light (Anton Bauer w/softbox) plugging into a Bescor battery belt. Gotta have the juice. Camera was set to 1/30th,f/1.8? (can't remember exactly but it was wide open) shooting 30p and I stretched the blacks a bit. The scene file was customized and frankly I don't remember the details but I do know that it worked out well. Good saturation, good exposure and literally no motion showing at 1/30th.
The HD100 is a light hungry camera but then IMO so is the Z1, perhaps a bit more so than the HD100.
I think the Litepanel would work out OK on the HD100.

Yes the 50W light got some looks but as we explained the the couple, either we light it and you can see it or we don't light it and you can't see it. Your choice.
They choose to see it.
They all need to make a choice-dark is romantic but VIDEO like your eyes need some light. Their choice.

Don
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #23
Trustee

With my 50 watt light (I also have a Anton/Bauer but mine has built in diffuson plus the extra flip out diffusion) I also have a ultradaylight for use in some situations. Id love to be able to use 1/30 all the time(indoors) but I dont know if my brides would notice or not. Ceremonys are o.k. but receptions with all the dancing its pretty noticalbe although I am still shooting DV and dont have acces to the "Smooth Motion" feature which may help I dont know.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #24
Inner Circle

While we are on the lighting subject. I have a couple of Frezzi lights, and want to diffuse them down by placing something in front of them. I would only do this for special occasions.

Does anyone know a diffusing material I could lay in front of it. I'm thinking that a frosted piece of plexi glass might do the trick. I'm specifically wanting to do this for close interviews.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #25
Trustee

Softbox out of your budget?
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Tough Spun. 24"X24" sheet should last you a long long time. Oh yeah, some gaff tape to tape it to the light.

Don
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Tough Spun. 24"X24" sheet should last you a long long time. Oh yeah, some gaff tape to tape it to the light.

Don
Yeah Don and Randy,
I have no problem forking out the dough for equipment, although the boss has put me on a budget now. But to chunk 150 bucks at a little peice of fabric is a little extreme.

Don, I live in a land that lacks anything but Ritz Camera, where do you get your Tough Spun from?
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Try helixcamera in Chicago-they have a web site but you'll need to call them. It's not listed on their site. They ship fairly quick.
B&H has it also and for a quick fix try a coffee filter. Seriously. New not used ;-)

Cut to fit, tape it and done. Watch your white balance though they tend to go yellow.

Don
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Try helixcamera in Chicago-they have a web site but you'll need to call them. It's not listed on their site. They ship fairly quick.
B&H has it also and for a quick fix try a coffee filter. Seriously. New not used ;-)

Cut to fit, tape it and done. Watch your white balance though they tend to go yellow.

Don
Thanks Don.
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #30
Trustee

Any thoughts on this apparently new light?

http://www.simaproducts.com/products...product_id=614
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques