Best small camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Best small camera?

hi all.

i'm looking for a small video camera preferably 3CCD/3CMOS, in the tradition of the trv-900. which would be the best option?

the HV20 seems a crowd favorite but I'm wary of the 1 chip/lowlight performance.

thanks!
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Jason, I would say HV20/HV30 is still the best small camcorder, though I havent try others=D

Are you going to use the small cam with a DOF adapter or not? HV20/HV30 itself performs very good in low light condition (eg indoors). It's the CMOS rolling shutter that I'm complaining.
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jason,

Yes, the lowlight on the HV20 isn't the greatest. I use one along with two XH-A1's. I use it now almost all the time with a DOF adapter. Outdoor shots, great! Indoor shots, not so great. That said, I'm still getting to grips with the HV20/DOF combo and locking off the exposure, so a good bit of it is down to me.

You will see what I mean on this clip.

http://www.vimeo.com/866175

Best I can find of it in lowish light is this and it's only a shortish lower quality clip. It's the shot of the owl bringing the rings in.

http://www.abrown.info/New%20HCW/Paul-David.htm
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Major Player

JMag:

We are using the new HV 30 and love the performance so far. Great cam to hide.

-John
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

hahaha! We're planning to get the HV30 actually. Pretty much convinced on what we see with other videographers who are using the cam.

Although we're still doing a little research for other options so i guess this thread will prove helpful also for us. ^_^
Raphael Jamil Pranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Major Player

I have a HV30 and bought another HV30.. But I'm using it along with my DVX100 so neither is very good in low light! :(
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Trustee

Other than the Z7u and the EX1, I don't know if there is any HD camera of any size that is as good in low light as our old DV stuff. Is anyone currently making a 3 chip camera the size of the HV20?

I'd say just pick up a HV30 on the cheap and test it out for yourself. They're pretty popular and should sell well if it doesn't meet your needs. I bought one and was using it mainly as a deck and backup camera before I got a Letus to strap it to.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Trustee

In this league I confess to hardly feeling like raising my hand - as though I don't even belong...but I'm using Panasonic GS500s and a GS400 and find them great...and I haven't had to fork out an arm and a couple of legs to get them.

For $us3900 I have got three brand new cameras, and one that is to all intents and purposes brand new.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post

I'd say just pick up a HV30 on the cheap and test it out for yourself. They're pretty popular and should sell well if it doesn't meet your needs.
Well, I'd be very happy to buy from you guys, when you dont need them anymore. At good price, of course =D =D
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Regular Crew

HV30 Baby!

JMag,

I bought one HV30 just last week. Did couple of shoots with it and pretty impressed with its performance so far. Here is a short clip on my blog which was shot excessively with HV30 (1080 24P):

http://www.butterflysquad.com/?p=39

Hope that helps.
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Still Motion

Jason,

I know you guys generally get away with using a fair amount of light for your ceremonies and preps. With that being said, if you can figure out any workflow issues with shooting with the HV 20/30 in 24P at 1/24th I think you would be very happy with its performance. You, like I, do a lot of grading, so you can also get quite a bit out of the footage. When Canon used our footage for a commercial and we all sat together and watched a rough draft, nobody in the room believed that a couple of the shots mixed in were from the HV20. I also had the FX1, which I think your still using, and was very unhappy with its lowlight performance, so that says something too.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Is anyone currently making a 3 chip camera the size of the HV20?
I'm using the JVC Everio HD-7. Three 1/5" CCD. And yes, it doesn't win any medals for low light, but it is better than I would have thought. I get more comfortable with it the more i use it. Manual focus ring really feels like a manual focus ring. Manual over rides really work. Focus assist is an excellent feature (press the button, the viewfinder goes monochrome, and anything you focus upon gets outlined in either red, blue, or green. I prefer green). The 60G HD allow for something like 4+ hours of recording 1080i. Takes an external mic. Has hot shoe mount. Gotta make your own headphone monitor, though. No manual audio, but the AGC is surprisingly gentle in attack/release. Overall color is too saturated. Have to reduce saturation in post. It took a while to get the .tod file import figured out.

I understand the HD7 has already been replaced by the HD 6, which had a lot of the really useful features removed.

There is a forum topic dedicated to this camera here at dvinfo.
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Purad View Post
JMag,

I bought one HV30 just last week. Did couple of shoots with it and pretty impressed with its performance so far. Here is a short clip on my blog which was shot excessively with HV30 (1080 24P):

http://www.butterflysquad.com/?p=39

Hope that helps.
Hey Ram, nice clip. Which stabilizer did you use with the HV30 for those flying shots?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #14
Major Player

thanks for all your help. considering all suggestions and doing more research. :)
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Yang,

The HV30 was on a merlin. I used to have my GL1 on it. That was the first shoot I put on a small camera like HV30 on it. It was a windy day. Had a little hard time in the beginning to balance the camera considering its light weight. But as time goes, I think I got a hang of it.

JMeg,

Are Nokia phones with video cameras also in your list of consideration? ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques