IBM's International Series on Diversification at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #1
Major Player

IBM's International Series on Diversification

Hello guys,

Before leaving my old job, I was commissioned to direct an international series before my tenure @ IBM was finished. I didn't have much say with regards to the content itself; but was lucky enough to be granted with complete creative control on the project.

Each episode was allocated a 3 hour shooting time (for both interviews and money sequences); unfortunately for most episodes I had to shoot alone - but the more later episodes I was lucky to have Patrick's help.

Although the content in the material itself is obviously not wedding related; I wanted to share these with this community since the fact is that most of the workflow and techniques used in the shoot from the entire series is 100% stemmed from experience gained from shooting weddings. Most notably shooting run and gun with inflexible time constraints, creating & designing sequences in efforts to tell a story; in addition to dealing with exposure issues in a non-studio/set environment.

The basic workflow for the series are interview shots using the Brevis35 adapter mixed with some flying footage that for the most part is unseen in the corporate world.

The series is now playing internationally within IBM and I was recently given legal permission to showcase these 2 episodes on our website; if my memory serves me correctly these episodes were shot about 6 months ago.

http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=408

Enjoy! Honest feedback and contsructive criticism is always appreciated.

Michael
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Michael

Love the job you did and totally agree this kind of style of corporate videos don't really exist. I would hope IBM is very happy with what they got, even large budget tv production miss this kind of production value.

The Steadicam shots really give it a good energy and a friendly feel to what would normally feel like a talking head telling you how good a company is.

I think the only thing I would criticize on is maybe if Alvaro had a male voice to try to make the audience connect with him better.

I think the 2 episodes give some great insight for anyone doing interviews in weddings so totally applies both workflow and content wise. :)

Keep up the great work.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Holy cow, that is some great stuff!

It is VERY professional and given the situation where you had to come up with something interesting to shoot (rather than shooting something interesting happening to shoot like an event), you did a wonderful job! Shows a lot of creativity and diversity (heh) of style on your part.

Thanks for sharing.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Michael,

Great job... they look great and deliver the message well.
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Major Player

My apologies for the late reply (caught a terrible flu bug in London); thank you for the warm comments.

Peter, good call on the male voice translating on top of Alvaro's; I've yet to hear anyone to mention that. The voice of the translater is actually Alvaro's wife; originally the piece was to be driven entirely by subtitles but upon hearing Alvaro's wife's voice I immediately wanted to use it for the video.

Luckily for us, IBM has been extremely pleased with the entire series!
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Micheal,
This is incredible really! What lighting were you using in the interviews, it looked like only one light. Very nice.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Bill

Yup, I was forced to use as much natural/available lighting that was available.

From there I just used a 10/20 watt Sony video light with a Stofen Filter to key/rim what I needed depending on what lighting was available. The rest was touched up in post to push as far as possible what was available.

Michael

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques