My First HD Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #1
New Boot

My First HD Trailer

Hey, guys/gals... I'm new to DVinfo, but have really enjoyed reading some of these posts.

I wanted to get some feedback on a trailer I did a couple months ago - our first wedding that we shot in HD and edited in HD...

http://www.vimeo.com/831761

Let me know what you think (the good and the bad).

Thanks!
Ryan Koral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Ryan,
Looks good, I actually just listened to your MP3 from 4ever and really enjoyed it. What cams are you using here? This looks very good. Is that a new coldplay song?
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Looks good Ryan...did you go with the Pro Res 422? That first shot almost has a 35 look to it.

-John
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Ryan - nice work - did you use a jib for the table shot at 0:57? Loved the nice big closeups. Can't wait to do a wedding with a sparkler exit!

That Mat Kearney song is great. I used it to close a recent project

http://www.vimeo.com/850766 (starts at 1:49)

Thanks for sharin!

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Hey Ryan,
Looks good, I actually just listened to your MP3 from 4ever and really enjoyed it. What cams are you using here? This looks very good. Is that a new coldplay song?
Bill
WOW - cool! I haven't heard it yet... I'd like to hear what I have to say.. hehe.

Using Canon A1's except for the opening shot w/ the pelican (pelican, right?) - using the HV20.

The song is by Mat Kearney - Breathe In Breathe Out... he's a stud. GREAT music.
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
Looks good Ryan...did you go with the Pro Res 422? That first shot almost has a 35 look to it.

-John
i'm still waiting for you to show me how to do the pro res stuff... i have no idea what i'm doing in HD... haha. i think i did it all uncompressed - so it probably took me longer than it should have if i had done pro res...

the 35 look is probably just the MB filter i put on it... that's the HV20. such a cool little cam.
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
Ryan - nice work - did you use a jib for the table shot at 0:57? Loved the nice big closeups. Can't wait to do a wedding with a sparkler exit!

That Mat Kearney song is great. I used it to close a recent project

http://www.vimeo.com/850766 (starts at 1:49)

Thanks for sharin!

Art
Thanks, Art - I just looked at the wedding story... very cool stuff, man! I be they (your clients) LOVED it!!!!

I was using a Glidecam 4000 to get that table shot.

Thanks for the reply.
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey Ryan,

Nice work! Matt Kearney is awesome - and the song you've used works really well.

Can I ask what your workflow is with the A1? I just received mine in the mail yesterday so I'm super-excited to get going with it.

Great vid - and thanks for sharing.

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I liked it as well, some really nice looking shots, very creative work and razorsharp images on vimeo. Felt like looking through a window at some times.

Do you work alone?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #10
Still Motion

Hey Ryan,

Great little piece. Flowed together very well, I enjoyed the storytelling, and I certainly noticed it as being a step up form some of your previous work.

A couple suggestions:

-watch both your blacks and your whites- some shots had lost quite a bit of detail in he whites and you can generally pull a fair amount back in. More noticeable though was how flt some of the images looked, and pulling your blacks down just a touch more would really make them pop. Your opening shot looked very well processed and has an energy to it, but the images start to flatten out and lose their mood when you start shooting inside.

-I would reverse your rack focus in the church. To me, the key ot the shot is the couple with their heads together, and when you then rack to the flowers I think you taking it a step back and it doesn't flow as well. Run the opposite way I think it would have a much bigger impact.

-it looked like you had an on board video light for your slow rise at the reception showing the tables. I would skip the light if possible, and if not, definitely don't use it on cam. A small light stand set off to the side would give the shot a lot more depth and mood- however the lighting would be obvious since it wouldn't cover the whole room.

-it also appears as though your using MB filters. You have a kissing shot where the flowers have a blue horizontal flair on them. Not sure if that matches your style and the look of the piece overall, and their other other MB filters with a similar feel and no flair.

Overall, I think I would work on more consistency throughout the piece. You have some excellent ideas, some great color grading on certain shots, and some excellent movement in places, and if you carried those throughout the whole piece, which is tough I know, it would take it a huge step forward.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Good stuff Ryan!!
Great energy and the shots looked incredible!
Steve Zugelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Wrangler

Hey Ryan, welcome to DVinfo! Fantastic edit man! Very clean, and flowed flawlessly.
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM   #13
New Boot

yo, guys... LOVE the praise :)

but also LOVE LOVE the critiques... patrick - thanks for the detailed explanation on each thought. SUPER helpful. seriously.

it's pretty hard defining one's self... style/feel/flow, etc... i'm three years into this thing and still a lot of times don't feel like i have a clue as to what i'm doing. just when i think i'm on to something, i realize some other area needs a TON of work (or sometimes just minor tweaking...)

anyway, i say all that to say i think being a part of this community is SUPER helpful. my hope is to become better at what i do... in all aspects...

so - thanks for ALL of your feedback. i hope to be able to do the same for others.
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer View Post
Hey Ryan,

Nice work! Matt Kearney is awesome - and the song you've used works really well.

Can I ask what your workflow is with the A1? I just received mine in the mail yesterday so I'm super-excited to get going with it.

Great vid - and thanks for sharing.

Matthew.
i'm not the guy to ask about workflow w/ the a1. i just captured to final cut and started editing like i do any other project... i know about the pro res 422 codec, but didn't really know how to get started with it. sorry i'm not more help.
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I liked it as well, some really nice looking shots, very creative work and razorsharp images on vimeo. Felt like looking through a window at some times.

Do you work alone?
i don't believe in working alone. :) it makes EVERYTHING harder. there are times when i don't have a choice but to work alone, but my preference is to always have someone else.

there are always two of us at weddings. this year we're adding an intern - so there will be 3 of us for most of the day. it should work out nicely. they key will be to stay "unobtrusive" and out of the way of the photogs (and others) when you have that many people doing video.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques