Booked First Wedding, Sample Contract? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 5th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Booked First Wedding, Sample Contract?

I booking my first wedding and wondered if anybody had a sample contract or something similar that I could look at, and with your permission mabe use for this gig.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Regards,

Jimmy
Jimmy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Trustee

first off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Moss View Post
I booking my first wedding and wondered if anybody had a sample contract or something similar that I could look at, and with your permission mabe use for this gig. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Regards, Jimmy
First off, realize that any contract samples you may get are going to be localized, that is not applicable in part or whole for your location, especially if the sample contract is from overseas.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I did think about that. I'm sort of just looking for something to go off of, look over and find out what sort of things are in one.

Are there any websites that go into this in detail that anyone knows about?

I did a couple searches on this board and others.
Jimmy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Major Player

what most will tell you is to get professional advice, which is great "advice." If you plan on doing this as a professional, this will benefit you immediately. Another option is to (like me) start off with just a basic contract stating the obvious things like you are the videographer and they are paying you for your services. Then as you get more experience/weddings, you will run into bumps in the road. At every event, revise the contract so that the next booking will reflect the cases exclusively.

-JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Google for "wedding video contract" and you will get more than you can handle. For the essential parts of a basic contracts see http://www.gavinholt.com/wedding_vid..._contract.html.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My contract is located on my website here . You are welcome to print it out and adjust it for your use as needed.
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hey Martin,
That link is to a list of prices and packages. Is your contract on the site as well?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #8
New Boot

PhotographersToolkit.com
Mike Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Jimmy,
Here's a generic sample for you. See attached.
Randy
Attached Files
File Type: doc Generic Wedding Video Agreement.doc (42.0 KB, 5439 views)
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #10
Regular Crew

You're going to learn a LOT in filming your first few weddings, especially the first one. When you're done filming, and likely editing too, remember to revise your current contract (when you use one) to fit your style, preferences, and how you handle things that is fair to you (ie. surcharges, extra hours policy, delivery times, stuff like that).

Unless you plan to book more before you even shoot your first wedding, then I guess you'll have to stick to your terms until later...

If you make an agreement with a client and later you realize you want to change something (to your benefit only, ie. higher rate)...know that some clients may not take that kindly. I made that mistake once...
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Estrella View Post
If you make an agreement with a client and later you realize you want to change something (to your benefit only, ie. higher rate)...know that some clients may not take that kindly. I made that mistake once...
I decided that no matter what my current pricing is, if someone has a sample contract, or an email from me referencing different prices, then I would honor that price. I figure it is a small price to pay to gain trust.

But I also put a foot note on the bottom of all my pricing / contracts that has an expiration date for the prices offered. Just in case things change for my business and my prices are drastically altered (like a jump to HD, or a different business model).
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I decided that no matter what my current pricing is, if someone has a sample contract, or an email from me referencing different prices, then I would honor that price.
[Alarm bells]

In an artistic profession, the concept that someone else produces the same product as you is a very bad one from the get-go. Just offering to match a competitor's price suggests to the client that your services are merely a commodity like bananas, and takes off the table, the better idea, that your service/talents are unique.

If you think about, isn't there a more genuine way to establish trust?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott View Post
[Alarm bells]

In an artistic profession, the concept that someone else produces the same product as you is a very bad one from the get-go. Just offering to match a competitor's price suggests to the client that your services are merely a commodity like bananas, and takes off the table, the better idea, that your service/talents are unique.

If you think about, isn't there a more genuine way to establish trust?
My mistake. I should have said "a sample contract from me" not from any Joe Schmoe with a handy cam.

I was trying to say that I honor my prices on my contracts, even if I change pricing mid year (which I occasionally do to adjust for demand / cam repairs, etc). I in no way care what others in our market charge. In our market we have may be 3 or 4 full time videographers. Two of us are here on DVInfo (Travis & I.... though there may be more, I just haven't seen them in the Wedding Forum) and really strive for great products. The other 2 will double / tripple book and hire the "guy with cam" to cover on those occasions or just do plain vanilla wedding videos. Then there are a dozen or so of the "guy with cams" that charge $500. Honestly, the only other company in town I even pay attention to is Travis, and he shoots HD, so we are in a different brackets.

So my mistake for the misleading quote. I would NEVER offer to match prices (unless we are talking about a difference less than $100) from a competitor...... and if I did, I would cut services to match the price, not discount my services.
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #14
Major Player

oh... we're on the same page Jason.

Interesting you use the same phrase I do "The guys with a cam" Sometimes when speaking with a client I'll go as far as to explain "...you can hire a camera man or you can hire a videographer."
Craig Terott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques