Latest vid - please critique at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 5th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Latest vid - please critique

Unfortunately I didn't get any response to my last post re the wedding day sunrise, which was a bit disappointing given the wealth of talent within this forum, nevertheless I proceeded with the wedding on Saturday and have put together the sunrise portion of the vid.

To explain a little, I am still on a very steep learning curve with the whole wedding video business and it would be really helpful to get some feedback where I need to improve, or where I need to be focusing my attention (camera skills, color work, etc).

The sunrise is sold as an extra to the couples on the premise that this is their special day and this is one thing they can call there own. Perhaps this is not the norm, but the response has been really great and on a recent promotion we were able to upsell 4 out of the 6 couples to take the sunrise extra and upgrade the package. Sure it means a really long day for me, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm just not sure if it's sunlight or a train coming the other way!!!

Anyway, if you have the time to watch, God Bless you...and if you have the time to comment, God Bless you and your family!!!

http://www.preciousvoices.com.au/Mov...ry_bottom.html

Cheers
Darren
Darren Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Darren:

Some nicely composed shots. I think the piece was a little long to hold an audience. Possibly use some comments from the couple and then use those shots as a flashback. As I understand, you are using the sunrise to establish the start of the wedding day. I personally think that either getting the bride and groom on camera or just a simple voice over and then flash back to some of the sunrise shots would add more dimension and keep the piece moving forward a bit.

Thanks for posting.

John
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Makes me wish I lived near the ocean! Nicely done.

I thought some of the earlier shots might have benefitted from the use of a tripod. I was a bit confused about the whole piece though. I expected to see shots of the bride and groom wandering along the beach. I guess that wasn't part of the plan. Is the point to get some pretty shots of the sunrise of the day of the wedding? I guess the bride and groom likely have to much on the go to be at the beach. Too bad.

If folks are interested and its a money maker, why not? As you pointed out though, it must be a long day.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Darren,
Congratulation on selling these sunrises as upgrades. That is a good accomplishment I must say. Where exactly does this video go? The very beginning? Lastly I did not like not having the streaming status bar. I had to play and wait play and wait which I hate doing. When there's a streaming status bar at least you know how long you need to wait for the video to play though without stops.

Pertaining to the actual content of this video. First I must say it was rather long. Not sure how long it was but it seemed like it was over 3 mins. (Preference Comment) It would be good to cut it down to around 1 and a half minutes. A little bit past the half way mark you started doing hand held shots. It totally took away from the video. Try leaving it on the tripod for these. Thanks for sharing Darren and wish you best of luck in progressing in this field of event videography. Take Care

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Darren,
I really like the idea of selling the sunrise as an add on.... I've been trying to catch a few sunrise's where i live, but I can never roll out of bed that early. The people on the west coast have it easy :-)
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys

It's seems the general consensus is that the piece is a bit long, that was my fear as well, I guess to counter that I was worried that if it was only 90 secs maybe the couple would not feel that they got their moneys worth.

John - I would love to have got the bride an groom down on the beach, however they were fast asleep!!!! I guess the other side of the coin is that I can almost give this to them as a gift, along the lines of "this is what you missed out on this morning".The voiceover is a good idea, I should have embraced that from the last vid, I did do an interview with the bride and groom at the reception, I might try and extract some audio from that although I fear it may have some background noise from the DJ music so it might actually take away from the piece. Using the shots as a flashback, I don't really understand what you mean by this, I guess I tend to work chronologically and find it difficult to "flashback" like you say, in saying that I realise this is new ground on which I need to venture, thanks John

Curt - You picked up on another of my concerns, the lack of stability in some of the shots, it was a bit tricky as I only have one tripod and that was capturing the time lapse stuff mainly, I was using another camera on a homemade shoulder mount which obviously lacks the stability of a tripod and thus is my problem. I guess the point of the piece is to highlight the natural beauty that exists in the world we live in and to be thankful, and for the bride and groom it is a time to reflect upon that on their special day, perhaps a bit too philosophical, but that is how I feel. As it turns out the photographer did some of the photoshoot on the same beach, so I guess it will hold extra meaning when they see that footage in the finished product. Thanks Curt for your feedback.

Monday - This clip is played right at the start of the whole video, it is really designed as a mood builder and in the past it has worked out well doing it this way, although I am always open to change. I agree on the streaming player bit, I need to get hold of another player skin, will attend to this as it can be very frustrating.

In summary thanks for your comments, I will perhaps ask the couple if they think it is too long and get back to you with their feedback
Darren Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Darren -
Just to let you know, I thought the video was quite nice, but as others mentioned, it dosn't hold your atttention (very relaxing, but looking for the action/climax/point), and I kept waiting for the B&G, after all it's "their" video. Felt like they should have shown up and transitioned in somehow...

Other than that, very nice footage, and if it sells for you, that's the clincher!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Major Player

I guess I must be losing touch, because I was thinking when I first watched it that all of the tripod panning looked a little cold and too solid. Stale maybe a little extreme, but certainly not shakey. I watched it again, and i don't really see the shake. I thought otherwise exactly what everyone else did, that I don't see the appeal to the B & G in this because it is just film of the beach at sunrise. You could take any day that a wedding happened and substitute shots. I kept expecting something to happen, and also the abrubt change in music with the dude running in slow motion was odd. It had the markings of an art school project. I thought the images looked great except for the grain in the first beach shot. Good piece as a Steven Dempsey sort of cinemetogrphy thing, but strange as a wedding opener. If you're selling it, and making money, then keep at it.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill & Dave - Appreciate the comments.

I have an appointment with the B&G so will get their honest feedback, I really do hear what you guys are saying, maybe I'm just a bit more sentimental and touchy feely or something, I just see this as a time to reflect and as you say relax, I'm sure that with the rest of the vid there will be plenty of action/climax.

In regards to getting footage from any day and substituting, obviously it is possible but not something that I would ever consider given the significance of the couple and their day, I guess what you are trying to say is that it could be perceived by clients that it would be possible to do so. Anyway I really do get your point, I guess as a student of videography I need to focus more on delivering my message through my work a bit better.

Dave - the grainy shot, I agree that is just the limitation of the XH-A1 I guess or hope, but I wanted to include some "darker imagery" to signify the dawn of a new day, so to speak.

I appreciate that it is a journey though, and I am enjoying the challenge.

Cheers
Darren
Darren Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques