DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Upbeat Engagement Clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/121003-upbeat-engagement-clip.html)

Konrad Czystowski May 5th, 2008 10:46 PM

Upbeat Engagement Clip

I wanted to share a clip with you guys. I just showed it at the reception on Saturday and got good reactions.
Just for the record, the groom is a DJ...

http://www.vimeo.com/967933

I hope you like it.

Tony Spring May 5th, 2008 11:27 PM

Very nice work Konrad! How long does it take you to edit a sequence like that and how much do you charge to produce it?

Matthew Ebenezer May 6th, 2008 02:08 AM

Hey Konrad,

Nice work - some great steadicam moves in there.

For me, it was almost too much of a good thing with so many steadicam moves - maybe some more 'still' shots would make the steadicam shots stand out as more of a feature.

Really liked the 'stop motion' type of shots you included - they were very cool.

I could imagine that clip getting a great reaction at the reception.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Peter Szilveszter May 6th, 2008 03:38 AM

Excellent job, great editing as well. I would have to agree with Matthew that a little too much steadicam even though I loved every flying shot but sometimes good to have a bit of "arc" in the style of shots in the edit.

Well done on the beginning bit with the car, very cool, reminded me a little of Top Gear style of shooting.

Most people would be over the moon with a clip like that looks so stylized.

well done.

Patrick Moreau May 6th, 2008 05:17 AM

Hey Konrad,

Awesome clip. Where do you get those wonderful moves :)

Just FYI for everybody else, Konrad also helped shoot the Beastie Boys video we did as well as the Glamorous video which was part 2. This dude has some serious skill.

Patrick

Richard Wakefield May 6th, 2008 05:37 AM

Hi Konrad...

so much creativity and fun, but a huge and slightly unfortunate overkill on glidecam useage

with some tripod shots, and less movement generally, you'd be on an absolute winner there!

Carl Wilky May 6th, 2008 10:52 AM

Konrad, great video and works very well with the music. Some of the shots your create both in post as well as in pre-production were very well executed. I would have to agree with the over use of the glidecam in the first part of the clip, gets much much better towards the end, especially with the random shots against the wall.

Konrad are you using FCP as well as color?

P.S. Patrick did you have any input in the color manipulation here? I can definitely still some still motion recipes in here.

Travis Cossel May 6th, 2008 12:12 PM

Well, I loved the clip. Great editing and shots and coloring. Plus, it looked cold! Props for shooting in the cold!

Like everyone else I think the steadicam shots were overdone. Don't get me wrong, the video is very good as it stands, but I think with the song, the style you opened with, and the fact that the groom is a DJ and the couple is young and hip ... I think you should have stuck with a style more like what you opened with.

One thing you could experiment with on the steadicam shots to bring them closer to that original opening style is to speed them up and slow them down in the middle of a shot. Obviously I wouldn't do it too much or it might feel gimmicky, but it would help pull away from the steady stream of stabilizer shots.

When the video hit the part with the stationary camera and the couple at the wall, I LOVED IT!! It was very creative and well done and it felt like I was getting back to the original video.

By the way, do they have a pet squirrel? LOL. The first shot of the squirrel at the park was one thing, but then you got a shot of a squirrel coming down the same stairs they did? Wow. Freaky!

Konrad Czystowski May 6th, 2008 01:01 PM

Thanks guys for the comments.
So I guess it's obvious that I was practicing my glidecam skills that day :)
Actually, I had my Smooth Shooter arm and vest on me almost all the time. We were walking through the city and there was no going back to the car to get the tripod. The only shots with the tripod where the close-ups on the bridge. Even the stop motion is glidecam standing on the curb and with WA lens cup rising the front of it for better framing.
I really didn't have too many other shots to mix with glidecam stuff.

Tony, I didn't really count my hours with this one, but it would be about 6 hours to edit. But then I started to play with the colors and that took forever.
I'm new to the whole coloring and grading process and I'm at that stage, where I'm exploring and experimenting with different looks. So that itself took me probably another 12h. But it's not because it takes so long, but because I tried hundred different things.
And it's funny how I start playing with it in the morning, and then at lunch time I realize how much I've spent doing it, not even having a breakfast. But I love the look. And when I look at it few hours later, I hate what I did. What seemed to be cool, now after having your mind focused on something else for a bit, it just doesn't work. Then I start all over.

Carl, I'm using FCP, but no color yet. When I get the basics and feel ready for color, I'll definitely go this route. I know color is huge. But first I want to learn the very basics and FCP filters are great to start with.
Actually, I did all the coloring myself and I think you can tell :) But in fact, I watch a lot of still-motion's work and that helps. Plus there is always some feedback too... very helpful!

Coming back to glidecam, hmm, Patrick, where do I get these moves?
I guess, if somebody has seen your work and Mike's crazy moves, they will know where it comes from.

Travis, I don't know about the squirrel, but it was stalking us all the time :)

Michael Y Wong May 6th, 2008 02:58 PM

^^

Killer Stuffs Big-K.

I saw Pat's, mine & even some of Tony's shots mixed in that clip, not to mention of course your own style that you bring in there.

Loved the close up shots in that one; as they really stood out from the frenzy of glidecam work; as well as how you started & ended the clip with the car stuffs; I trust that the purpose of those were to signify the couples journey!!

Some crazy stuffs in there!

Michael

Konrad Czystowski May 6th, 2008 10:39 PM

Thanks Michael,

Yeah, there is a little bit from each one of you, guys. Your work has been good inspiration so far.

Keep it up :)

Noa Put May 7th, 2008 12:35 AM

I liked it as well, very pro, great glidecam shots and great editing. But have the same comment as some here, it felt like looking at it from spidermans point a view flying around the whole scene :) the fast movement of the glidecam shots did fit with the tempo of the music but I'm not such a fan of that, I like more the slow moves if combined with enough static shots. You did have some of them in there and that was a welcome change but it was way to less to get the clip more balanced.
You should have asked patrick with you to the shoot, he owes you after the Beasty boys vid. ;)

John Moon May 7th, 2008 01:23 PM

Konrad:

Liked the edit....really like the use of using the footage for transitions...those take some thought.

-John

Konrad Czystowski May 7th, 2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 873294)
You should have asked patrick with you to the shoot, he owes you after the Beasty boys vid. ;)

He sure does... lol
But I owe him much more.

Plus that was shot about 3 months ago, way before Beastie Boys.

Peter Manojlovic May 8th, 2008 07:49 PM

Hey Konrad...
Great stuff...I'm 3/4 of the way through reading "The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction" by Steve Hullfish...

If you're going to get into Color, or any other color correction for that matter, then this is a MUST read.
Heck, PM me if you're interested..

It's good to see people in the area take things up a notch. You, Patrick, Glenn and Michael are inspirations...