DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   It's been a while (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/121299-its-been-while.html)

Ethan Cooper May 10th, 2008 12:06 AM

It's been a while

I haven't posted any work here in a while and thought I'd share a not quite finished teaser I put together today. I've been feeling the urge to create something a bit different so I made my own little tribute to David Matthew Bonner, the king of the off-beat wedding edit.

I decided to try to edit to my own condensed version of White Wedding. Figured it would be a challenge to make an 80's standard not feel too cheesy. I actually kinda like how it turned out for a quickie edit. The spinning kiss shot needs some more color work (magenta faces are never good) and I need to add a title at the end, (anyone know how to do ink spatter titles?) but for something that was done to help break a creative log jam it didn't turn out so bad.

Comments, suggestions?

Bill Flowers May 10th, 2008 07:33 AM

Looks like it could be a spec ad for a wedding boutique. Well done!

Carl Wilky May 10th, 2008 09:12 AM

Excellent job, where was this shot, i like the house and the room, very antique.

Observation, I’m not sure if this was planned but in some scenes there is a pink tint to the footage, 00:02-00:08.

What 35mm adaptor are you using Ethan?

Love the 360 shot.

John Moon May 10th, 2008 10:33 AM

Ethan....excellent...colors looked really good. Also saw some of the LE 35 stuff on Vimeo...I'm going to have to get a 35 adapter...its just to cool not to have one. Keep the posts coming.

John

Konrad Czystowski May 11th, 2008 08:23 AM

Sweet. Nice stuff Ethan.
I like the feel the clip's got. And i like most of the colors as well.

Well done.

Winfried Dobbe May 11th, 2008 08:35 AM

Really really good, the speed up of the shot around the couple is so well done. Also the shot of the "serous" looking bride followed by the bride maids fits excellent to the music.

In my opinion the first half of the trailer has too many long shots (I mean long as in time) for an upbeat trailer. Maybe throw in a couple of 4 or 5 frame shots in row on the fast beat of the music.

Monday Isa May 11th, 2008 10:52 AM

Not bad Ethan. Very nice use of the letus and great composition. Were you shooting with both HD cams yet? Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see more.

Monday

Vito DeFilippo May 11th, 2008 01:07 PM

Hey Ethan,

Some really nice stuff there. Beautiful shots.

A few suggestions. I find it a bit boring to cut on the beat at the beginning like that. A few on the beat, then mix it up might be more exciting. Shots are long at the start.

For my taste, I would start with the shot of the bride and bridesmaids walking in front of the house. That's great. The inserts and detail shots at the beginning work for more romantic style edits, but with a song like that, I think you need people at the start. Get the other shots in later.

The shot of the candles has bad camera movement at the beginning. I would cut into it later.

Cheers,
Vito

Ethan Cooper May 11th, 2008 01:43 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I was feeling the same way about the beginning as a few of you, shots hold too long, but I didn't feel like spending more than a day on it after I decided that.

The spinning round the couple shot is VERY pink. Didn't realize this till after I was done rendering out the color and again, didn't feel like putting more time into it at that point.

I do agree that I might need a few more people shots at the beginning to break up the detail shots, but I didn't wanna give away too much in a teaser... I'll revisit this thing and make some revisions to get more feedback. It's always good to get second opinions.

Thanks again guys.

Mondady - my wife is very much enjoying shooting with the second FX7. Thanks a lot. This particular wedding was shot with 2 FX7's and the HV20/Letus combo.

Monday Isa May 11th, 2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 875492)
Mondady - my wife is very much enjoying shooting with the second FX7. Thanks a lot. This particular wedding was shot with 2 FX7's and the HV20/Letus combo.

You really get some pretty shots out of that camera. Glad she is loving it. Good to see it being put to work (^_^). Take Care

Monday

Matthew Ebenezer May 11th, 2008 06:04 PM

Hey Ethan,

I really enjoyed that! Cool song choice and I love the shot of the couple under the tree at the end. Great location and great shot!

Cheers,

Matthew.

Ethan Cooper May 11th, 2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer (Post 875578)
I love the shot of the couple under the tree at the end. Great location and great shot!

Completely my wife's idea. I actually don't think well on the fly and under pressure, so I'm glad she acts as my de-facto art director on these shoots.

Ram Purad May 11th, 2008 07:06 PM

Good job Ethan!

I like the color work. Looks like you used MB.

I felt that the (steadicam?) movement shots should have been little faster to match the tempo of the song. Then again, you probably didn't have this song in mind when you were shooting it.

Like the shot of B&G under the tree as well. Kudos to your wife :-)

Keep up the good work.

Art Varga May 12th, 2008 07:12 AM

Cool trailer Ethan - I like the "green theme" not sure if it that was intentional but it works. Also liked the song choice. Inspires me to check out more of the classics for my vids. I tend to dismiss them for some reason. What did you use to create the shimmering light on the ring shot?

Art

Ethan Cooper May 12th, 2008 10:29 AM

Art - Sadly very little of what I do that may seem to have a theme is actually planned out. Most of what I do right tends to fall into the category of dumb luck & happy mistakes. I'm not sure if one can build an entire life around that but it's worked for me so far...

The band that played at the reception busted out White Wedding near the end of the evening and I turned to the groom and said, "I'm gonna make you guys a teaser video with this song" so I did. Not much planning or thought there either other than the fact that I've been wanting to try something different, and the 80's are making a comeback so using 80's songs would suddenly feel hip and new again. 5 years ago it would have been cheesy I think. Funny how that works.

I wonder if it's ok to dust off some New Order or Joy Division? If it wasn't a love gone bad song, "Love Will Tear Us Apart" would be an AWESOME song to edit to. I can totally see some shallow DOF, and stedicam goodness with that song. You know, I just might have to use that song anyway for something... wonder if it'll jinx the poor couple I use it on?

Anyone else have some great 80's ideas? This could be fun... or disastrous, but you never know till you try.

**EDIT**
It's ok to hijack your own thread isnt it?... maybe this 80's song discussion needs it own thread.... you know what, I'm gonna go start one, let's discuss this over there.