DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Clip: what to do with bad footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/121502-clip-what-do-bad-footage.html)

Vito DeFilippo May 12th, 2008 10:33 PM

Clip: what to do with bad footage

Hey all,

Just finished editing some of the worst footage I've ever seen. I was the second editor to get a shot at it, after the bride broke down in tears from viewing the first attempt.

I could go on for days about this cameraman, but will restrain myself unless you want details of what I had to work around.

It was rough, but interestingly, also forced me to change the way I think about looking at shots. So in a way, it was a good learning experience:

http://www.nosmallroles.com/tjp-highlights.wmv

All the stills are frames from the video. The song was chosen by the bride cause she liked its use in a demo I did. And yes, Travis, I know some of the shots lack contrast, but darnit! you should see the original!

Feedback welcome as always.

Dave Blackhurst May 13th, 2008 12:29 AM

Wow, dirty lens, out of focus footage, low light issues galore, and SOME apparently usable stuff...

Looked great! Hope the bride appreciates the vibe, liked the way you worked with the imperfections to create a vintage mood!

Noa Put May 13th, 2008 02:43 AM

Well, if you wouldn't have told me that the original footage was crap I would have enjoyed it because it was something completely different from the very polished and pro footage that you usually see here. For me it would have looked like the out of focus, the color en the lack of contrast were applied intentionally to give it some kind of 70's look.

It's like you said that being forced to look at your way of editing in a different way will make your footage more unique. After seeing this, I don't think the bride will have to look for a 3rd editor. :)

Vito DeFilippo May 13th, 2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 876281)
Wow, dirty lens, out of focus footage, low light issues galore.

Tip of the iceberg, let me tell you. He was on auto gain the whole day, then kept stopping down, so gain (PD150) was usually at max, even outside. There were actual fingerprints on the lens. I've never seen that...

I made so many stills because he was the shakiest shooter I've ever seen. Most of them, I looked for a camera flash since everything was severly underexposed. Also, he used a photo tripod at the church that had no fluid pan/tilt head, just a photo lock down head. You can imagine what it looked like when he tried to follow movement.

Never mind that he had no conception of what a frame was. Anyway, like I said, I could go on and on.

Quote:

Hope the bride appreciates the vibe, liked the way you worked with the imperfections to create a vintage mood!
Thanks, Dave. I'm glad that comes through, cause that's exactly what I tried to do.

Vito DeFilippo May 13th, 2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 876315)
For me it would have looked like the out of focus, the color en the lack of contrast were applied intentionally to give it some kind of 70's look.

Actually, you're right. I blurred some shots intentionally to match other out of focus shots. There was a lot of colour work to change the look.

Thanks for the kind feedback, Noa.

Steven Davis May 13th, 2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 876260)
Hey all,

Just finished editing some of the worst footage I've ever seen. I was the second editor to get a shot at it, after the bride broke down in tears from viewing the first attempt.

I could go on for days about this cameraman, but will restrain myself unless you want details of what I had to work around.

It was rough, but interestingly, also forced me to change the way I think about looking at shots. So in a way, it was a good learning experience:

All the stills are frames from the video. The song was chosen by the bride cause she liked its use in a demo I did. And yes, Travis, I know some of the shots lack contrast, but darnit! you should see the original!

Hey Vito,

I think you did a great job. Before I read your last post, I was thinking that this dude might just be starting out, maybe he's still working for free. Dunno.

I did however like the shot of the camera sitting on the alter. (that lacks respect.) But good job. I feel for the guy, I hope he understands what he needs to change.

Shaun Conner May 13th, 2008 08:31 AM

I think you did a great job with the footage.

Andrew McWeeny May 13th, 2008 09:26 AM

Nice job Vito, very inventive!

Hey, I'm shooting in Montreal May 24th. If you're working that day maybe our paths will cross in Old Montreal.

Vito DeFilippo May 13th, 2008 09:34 AM

Thanks, you guys.

Andrew, it would be great to run into you. I am shooting that day. Two camera job with Landyn. Hope we run into you!

Wayne Greensill May 13th, 2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 876260)
Hey all,

Hi Vito,

Could you tell me the version name to the Louis Armstrong, What a wonderful world?

I have never heard that start to the track before.

Hope you can help.

Regards

Wayne

You did a good job of the footage by the way, considering what you had to play with.

Vito DeFilippo May 13th, 2008 12:47 PM

Sent you an email Wayne...

Wayne Greensill May 13th, 2008 12:57 PM

Hi Vito

Emailed you back.

Thanking you

Travis Cossel May 13th, 2008 12:58 PM

Vito, the contrast is too flat. Just kidding!

From what you had to work with I think you pretty much pulled off a miracle. You should save the bad footage and show it to potential brides who think that their uncle can film the wedding for them, lol.

My only suggestion would be at the beginning you transition from a shot of the groom in B&W, and during the transition it goes to color. Minor issue, but easy to fix too.

Nick Avdienko May 13th, 2008 03:48 PM

As a newbie videographer, I am constantly learning about the process. I look at all the professional clips here and I really want to learn the skills to film at that level.

I feel that I am good at what I do. But I know I still have a lot to learn. So I look at this video and I can't help to think that it's not all that bad - and dare I say it, I've made the same mistakes. Oh well - as long as I LEARN from them.

Here's my stupid question - I know that the contrast in the video is bad - how can it be fixed/avoided?

Travis Cossel May 13th, 2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Avdienko (Post 876718)
Here's my stupid question - I know that the contrast in the video is bad - how can it be fixed/avoided?

I would say it can be avoided to some extent by shooting with proper exposure, but even then, you will still probably want to adjust the footage in post using a contrast filter or a color corrector.