DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Nervous as a New Bride (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/121617-nervous-new-bride.html)

Robin Hall May 14th, 2008 01:10 PM

Nervous as a New Bride

Well After shooting weddings for the last 4 years sporatically using mostly
my own hi end consumer grade equipment or Renting A G2 when really needed we got our first Full package hi end wedding shoot comming up next weekend with all the new gear that we purchased for our new business. Although I have been trying to get as much shoot time in as possible with the new A1 I still am not 100% comfortable with it , may never Be but time has run out.. Sure is going to be like starting out all over again since Jan this year We have replaced every piece of gear we used to use with New stuff and I have been trying to get
aquainted with it as quickly as possible but some stuff like a new G2 wireless mic system I just picked up last week.. I think this first shoot is going to be real interesting to say the least. I am not sure I will start to feel real confident till I get into about the 4th or 5th shoot this year with all the new Equipment.
Since Jan 08 I Have bought or replaced:

2 Manfrodo 155 tripods with 501 heads & a Monopod
An AT897 Shotgun Mic with 25 & 50 Ft cables & Boom Mic Stand
1 Canon- A1 & 2 hi Capacity & 2 Medium Cap extra batterys and Vl10ii Light& bat
1 Canon HV20 as a second shooter
Shennheiser Evolution G2 Wireless system
CB-105 Shoulder Mount with Manfrodo quick release plate
Built a new HD Q4 Editing System with 2 -22" HD Monitors & BDRw
rain covers & new gear bags, ect ect...

It was beginning to feel like a one way cash flow out for quite a while
but with a few shoots in the books & deposits down it looks like things are
starting to turn the other way Now , Whew.

But as the post title say's I sure have that nervous bride feeling going into this first Shoot of the season. I am hoping That MURPHY Stay's away
for this first one anyways. Ive tried to do as much pre work as possibe to
ease up the load, prescoped the location, reworked the shoot list with the Bride & groom so I don't forget anything, Made my Check before shoot check list. I guess only Time will tell If Ive done enough Prep Now.

Dave Blackhurst May 14th, 2008 01:44 PM

This is why soldiers disassemble and reassemble their rifles blindfolded <wink>.

When operating your gear becomes second nature, it doesn't much matter what goes wrong, you're already instinctively "fixing" the problem before you even know it. You'll always have butterflies though, and there's always SOMETHING that keeps it interesting!

Good luck with the shoot!

Travis Cossel May 14th, 2008 03:52 PM

I still get nervous before every wedding. It's a live event and you're never sure what is going to happen, whether you are familiar with your equipment or not. Don't let the nerves bother you, just be fine with being nervous and have confidence that you'll do the best you can do.