What the ?? mic problem - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #31
New Boot

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your sound, Matt, but it's really good to see I'm not the only one with this problem. :)

I have the G2 and have seen the exact same symptoms since I purchased it last year. Happened on about 3 or 4 different wedding shoots last season.

I use brand new batteries for each ceremony. Positive it's not battery-related.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/9324/1187726869.mov

It starts slow and builds, but it also occasionally pops really loudly and then clicks off. There's two different segments from the ceremony joined together in this audio clip, listen all the way to the end for the pop where the static completely shuts off.

I'm not much of an audio guy, sad to say, but I'm hoping the more info we're able to compile on this problem the better chance someone wiser will be able to diagnose it...
Jared Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #32
Major Player

which g2 frequency model are you using A, B or C ?

Thanks for the clip...sounds EXACTLY like what I'm getting. Annoying isn't it!! :-)
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #33
New Boot

Yeah, it's absolutely infuriating. And I hate knowing that it could be any one of a number of different things.

This is the "A" model, 518-554 MHz.
Jared Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Well that stinks... I have a Sennheiser G2. But I also have a Lectrosonic's and I can tell you that is the ONLY wireless system I will purchase going forward. I had trouble with my original wireless and I finally sprang for the Lectrosonic. Definitely the best out there.

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #35
Major Player

lectro are top banana no question. The G2 is a budget product but it's none too shabby. For weddings? Who can afford all those lectros?

This problem can be solved in a few minutes:

change the battery
change the frequency
if the problem is still there go to a clean location or run it alongside another g2

- if that doesn't pinpoint the problem - send the unit in for service or replacement.

Millions of these units have been sold - and 99.9999% of users are happy.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #36
Major Player

I do appreciate all the help and your suggestions but they wouldn't be able to fix the problem in the situations that I've had them...

I ALWAYS test the mics before hand and as I have said, usually have new to fairly new batteries in them. When I test them and everything is great, I have no reason to adjust anything. Then halfway through the vows it starts cutting out, I cant do anything about it. I can't change out the batteries or change frequencies in the middle of that so I'm stuck.

That's the worst part about this whole situation...it's so random that it's hard to determine or even narrow down a cause.
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bishop View Post
I do appreciate all the help and your suggestions but they wouldn't be able to fix the problem in the situations that I've had them...

I ALWAYS test the mics before hand and as I have said, usually have new to fairly new batteries in them. When I test them and everything is great, I have no reason to adjust anything. Then halfway through the vows it starts cutting out, I cant do anything about it. I can't change out the batteries or change frequencies in the middle of that so I'm stuck.

That's the worst part about this whole situation...it's so random that it's hard to determine or even narrow down a cause.
Matt forgive me if you mentioned that you did this, but did you do a frequency sweep before using the wireless. I don't mean a test of the mics, but rather a frequency sweep of the venue to see if there are no shared frequencies being used.
If you have never done this, you should, as this is a must for wireless work in the field.

Again forgive me if you know how to do this, but in case you don't...

1. Turn off ALL of your transmitters
2. Make sure that ALL transmitters that will be used are turned on (except yours)
3. Turn on your receiver and see if there is any activity going on
4. If your receiver shows there is activity, then try another band
5. Once you find a good band (with no activity), then set your transmitters accordingly

Again, this is not a mic test, but a wireless test.
Your mics and wireless will work just fine, until another transmitting device is turned on (could be another wireless system the church has, Wifi etc.). This is why it's important to make sure that all transmitting devices are turned on (except yours) when testing.

Again sorry if you already mentioned that you did frequency sweeps. But this might still be useful for those who don't.
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #38
Major Player

ok - if you only shoot weddings you can't troubleshoot on the job.

Here is what I would do -

hook the senn up to a laptop and record ambient sound direct to disk using an audio app. Leave it run for a few hours. When recording is finished check the audio waveform - any noise will be immediately visible. Checking 2 hours of video this way will only take a few seconds.

repeat with different variables until the problem is pin-pointed.

One thing - as mentioned receivers eat up batteries much faster than transmitters. So if this problem does come up during a wedding and you are not sure you have fresh batteries you can always try switching out the batteries in the receiver.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Lectrosonics are top banana!

And they aren't really that expensive, all things considered. Meaning you will never need to replace your Lectrosonic. You will have them longer that ANY camcorder. You save yourself a lot of these headaches (how much is that worth). We had a priest mic'ed with the G2 and the groom with the Lectrosonic. When the priest was at the other end of the sanctuary, but still in the sanctuary, the Sennheiser started to break up. The groom was outside the church and I still got a clear, clean signal from inside the sanctuary. For me, that's priceless. Especially when you don't have the opportunity to "tweak" many things during an event. I am be no means an audio engineer, but I have spoke with audio professionals enough to know that there is just too much for me to know/understand about build quality. Sure, I can find an open frequency, but if the unit doesn't provide a strong enough signal, with decent pre-amp connections, noise rejection, off-axis whatever... then what is it worth? And I don't know squat about all that. Find an open frequency & work. That is why I love the Lectrosonics!
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques