HD set up...help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:34 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Well, I will chime in.... I am a huge fan of P2. Let me modify that, I am a huge fan of DVCPro 50 and DVCPro HD. The easiest method of capturing DVCPro HD being via P2 (or a Firestore hard drive).

First, in terms of editing, DVCPro HD will be easier. It is also an I-frame only compression scheme no NO motion artifacts. AVCHD and HDV are both Long GOP compression schemes. Plus, you are capturing 4:2:2, not 4:2:0. And keep in mind that by using p2, you don't HAVE to capture DVCPro HD, you could do DVCPro 50 which is still SD but @ 4:2:2 instead of DV's 4:1:1!

IMHO, the only disadvantage to P2 cameras to date are that they aren't the best in low light. However, the newer cameras are suppose to do better. And there is the cost of P2 media. However, for even work, I would think a Firestore hard drive would be in order. And while it's not cheap, it's less than the cost of all the tape I have used!

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM   #17
Regular Crew

re-thinking now

Thanks for your feed back Mike. I'm now reconsidering the whole thing and looking at P2 as a good option. I read a lot of good things about DVCPRO 50 and looks like I could use that with my dvx100a for SD jobs. Still I was hoping to have two HD cameras to be confortable for a HD job. When I was looking at the HMC150 avchd I was also thinking on getting a cheaper avchd for B camera.
So now my question is....
what will be a good B camera to go with the HPX170?

Firestore looks like a good solution for saving $$$$.. Do you use them? how reliable they are?
can I trust a paid job on them?

Trying to put some number down to see what I can afford.

thanks again.

Osmany Tellez
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Sorry for my late reply, been busy...

We don't own or use a P2 camera/Firestore. Yet. I current plan is to get at least on Panasonic 170 when released. At that point it is a cascading effect: what will the street price for the camera be? What will the price be for the 64GB P2 card as well has how much have the other P2 cards come down. This determines the feasibility of whether we are getting a 2nd 170. I imagine not. In which case, we are looking at the 150 AVCHD. I was at a seminar the other day talking to a Panasonic rep and I feel good that the 150 will offer at the very least, an image comparable to HDV; probably better. That is my hold out on AVCHD, most don't think it is any better than HDV and many think it's worse. There is no doubt that on paper the codec is better, but it has yet to translate into a camera (or so I've read). Provided that 150 does deliver the expected results, that will be out 2nd camera. 3rd & 4th cameras will be of a consumer variety for specific purposes... and I won't even look into that until the above plays itself out.

There are a LOT of other factors involved for us. But I know for a fact that we will be doing at least one P2 camera and in all likelihood a Firestore hard drive. However, I know P2 media is MUCH more flexible and built like a rock so if I can come up with enough used 16GB cards when the 64GB card is on the market, who knows? The only other camera we considered was the EX1. I love full raster 1920x1080 (this kinda offsets the Panasonic's 4:2:2 advantage) but the rolling shutter and Long GOP compression didn't do it for me.

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques