HD set up...help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 15th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD set up...help

hello all.

OK, I'm very new at this business. Only done 1 weddings so far...(will post a vid soon) but I'm here to ask for your help. I'm moving down to South America were I plan to work doing weddings and events. Below you can take a look at what gear I have already. Before I go I'm planning on getting the pana HMC150, a cheaper HD second camera and a new MBP (waiting till summer hoping for the lates processors), a dell 2408 or a new ACD....so

I have never worked with HD before so...in terms of editing...

what else do you think I need?

will my G5 be able to handle this?
do I need to update the video card?
do I need to get a capture card?
do I need to have raid?

what do you think? what will you do? you problably done this and have some experience. can you share please?
Thanks so much.

Osmany Tellez

FCPS2, G5 Dual core 2.0 GHz, 2.5 Ram, Dell 2408, M-audio DX4, DVX 100A, Sachtler DV6, Manfrotto 561B, Zoom H-4, RE-50, AT890 shotgun, steadicam Merlin,
Osmany Tellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You will need a new computer. The aging G5 will not work with AVCHD files, for that you need an Intel Mac. Stock graphics card on a new Mac Pro would be fine. Rumor has it that a better graphics card with better core image support is due out before the end of the month. Motion would be the application that would do better with a beefier graphics card, so depending on how much you use Motion would determine your need for said card. After that, you just need plenty of storage. I wouldn't worry about creating a software RAID (you can edit these files from a single drive). And hardware RAIDs will be expensive. Just have a solid back up plan in the event a drive fails.

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks

Thanks a lot Mike. It really helps. Thanks.

UMMM. G5 will not work???? wuao. Well, I was ready to buy a MBP after the next update....will that handle AVCHD? I think so... I guess my G5 will be left for SD projects... any idea if people are interested on buying a dual core PPC G5 this days? or should I get the Mac Pro instead of the MBP? ahhhhh. any suggestions?

What do you think about my gear? do you see anything I most get? Weddings and events mainly.

Mike, thank you. And everybody in here for such a great forum.

Peace
Osmany Tellez.
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Osmany. At the moment, most NLEs dun do AVCHD that well compared to HDV or even HD. I guess selecting a HDV cam would be a better choice for weddings otherwise u will be one of those in the frontline (beta tester). Something like Canon A1 or HPX170 may be better for you if budget allows.

I think a MBP+FCPS2 combo would do better for u.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

have to study this..

Thanks Sean.

I'm aware of the laking support for AVCHD at this moment...I'm hoping that by sep. Oct. even Nov..(this is when I'll have the cam in my hands) there will be support for this with all main NLE programs...don't you think?. HMC150 wont come out until then... I need to take a closer look to other options still..but from what I gather so far it looks like the HMC150 will be much better quality then Canon AX1...don't you think? I will really like to get the HPX170 but I'm afraid the cost of P2 cards will be too much for me.

Is it true that my PPC dual core 2.0 GHz wont be able to handle AVCHD? Mike..I believe you...it just that I can believe it myself. My G5 already outdated..darn. it puts me in...MBP or MP, now.

Thanks again
Osmany
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305997
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

great...

Mike...you are the best. Thanks so much. more decisions to make now. if you don't mind. THE MBP...can it handle AVCHD? 1 or 2 streams? what about AVCHD..using other software than FCP?

I hope I'm not bothering too much. Now I'm thinking if I should get a MBP or Mac Pro..after the news...or maybe forget AVCHD and go to HDV.

Again...thanks a lot.

Osmany
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

What do you mean by handle? Obviously the MBP/FCS2 will do AVCHD but I certainly wouldn't want to try it off the laptops internal drive. I suppose your could, but I doubt you would get more than one stream once you started editing. I would be using external drives. The faster the drives, the more streams you could do.

As far as other software that handles AVCHD, I don't know. Premiere doesn't yet. FCE will. I think in terms of using another editor, you would need to think about converting the AVCHD files into something more "generic". I would hesitate on HDV. I think the future will be tapeless acquisition: P2, SxS, AVCHD.

Mike
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I mean

Yes, I was planning on having and external HD for capturing to. Still I'm thinking it cost $100 more to upgrade to a 7200 internal HD as well. What I meant by handle is that I don't want to be waiting for renders every time I make a simple edit or effect...and being able to do at least 2 streams for sure.

I heard Edius Pro does AVCHD native...

Yes, I'm only trying to avoid HDV as well..thanks for helping me clarify this.

I think P2 and SxS are too expensive for me still, so my next option will be avchd...I guess I should forget about a MBP and go for the Mac Pro.

What is your opinion?
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bisom View Post
You will need a new computer. The aging G5 will not work with AVCHD files, for that you need an Intel Mac. Stock graphics card on a new Mac Pro would be fine. Rumor has it that a better graphics card with better core image support is due out before the end of the month. Motion would be the application that would do better with a beefier graphics card, so depending on how much you use Motion would determine your need for said card. After that, you just need plenty of storage. I wouldn't worry about creating a software RAID (you can edit these files from a single drive). And hardware RAIDs will be expensive. Just have a solid back up plan in the event a drive fails.

Mike
Aging G5 won't work with AVCHD? I've got one of the oldest G5's around (1.8G single processor), and it handles AVCHD just fine, albeit a bit slow ... like forget real time rendering of special effects. A new machine would be nice, but not necessary.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
Aging G5 won't work with AVCHD? I've got one of the oldest G5's around (1.8G single processor), and it handles AVCHD just fine, albeit a bit slow ... like forget real time rendering of special effects. A new machine would be nice, but not necessary.
hey Waldemar..that's so good to hear. I own a 2.0 GHz dual core G5 and I thought it was worthless for AVCHD..but now you give me hopes.

Can you share your workflow and maybe a bit about your limitations using your single core G5 and avchd?

I'm curious to hear since apple says one needs a intel proccesor for avchd.

Thanks a lot.

Osmany Tellez
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM   #12
Regular Crew

That is news to me as well. Especially when you consider that Apple themselves say that a G5 doesn't do AVCHD (link provided earlier). Are you using a third party solution/conversion?

Mike
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bisom View Post
That is news to me as well. Especially when you consider that Apple themselves say that a G5 doesn't do AVCHD (link provided earlier). Are you using a third party solution/conversion?

Mike
Yes, and it was stupid of me for not mentioning it earlier. Visual Hub. $29.95. Convert to MPEG2 (or whatever you want). Much broader acceptance of formats than MPEGStreamclip, which could only read about 30 seconds of a 2 minute clip. I've only had need of AVCHD acquisition once for one of those odd phone requests from an acquaintance, and Visual Hub was the only way to get the video recognized off of the camera's disc.
I got Visual Hub on Steve Mullin's advice (visit the AVCHD section, JVC Everio forum) because I was having issues with JVC's Everio camera's .tod files. Imported into iMovie 08 and then exported as an XML file FCP can read. worked OK with AVCHD disc camera as well as JVC .tod file. Tried the same process on my intel Mac laptop. Processing was much faster.

Since I don't own an AVCHD camera and have only had to do it once, I didn't take notes about process. But it appears to me I'm going to have to revisit the process and provide an explanation. That will take a few days as I've got a lot on my plate right now. I get back to you all.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM   #14
Regular Crew

great to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmany Tellez View Post
hey Waldemar..that's so good to hear. I own a 2.0 GHz dual core G5 and I thought it was worthless for AVCHD..but now you give me hopes.

Can you share your workflow and maybe a bit about your limitations using your single core G5 and avchd?

I'm curious to hear since apple says one needs a intel proccesor for avchd.

Thanks a lot.

Osmany Tellez

I was just wondering about this since I have a same G5, about to get a MBP and my first AVCHD camera. Thanks for the info.

so when apple says you need an intel based to work with AVCHD they mean NATIVE AVCHD, right?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305997

Stefan..what about after those 3hrs per hour of footage? do you have to render a lot? any real time effects? slow scrubbing? any problems?

wuao...I see...big files....means more $$$$$

I'm debating between my first MBP or go for the Mac Pro...also I wonder if my be better to go straight to P2. I wonder if they $$$ will even out between P2 cards and faster computer with a lot of storage for AVCHD.

Any advice, opinions?

Thanks again.

Osmany
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew

sorry

this reply was to a comment on the avchd forum... my mistake, sorry, sorry. If I could I would delete.
sorry

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques