One Tight SDE - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Be sure to check out the photo post coming soon; there was a bed and couch, as well as some mirrors and a ladder. The chairs are the only thing we brought there, and they came from the salon.
Wow, what a great find. An awesome warehouse WITH some props. Amazing. When I was showing my wife the video her mouth dropped open when she saw the warehouse. That one is like a dream location. Can't wait to see the stills too.
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #17
Major Player

HO-LY-Crap.

That was a great video...and in 90 minutes of editing.

The sharp flying during the warehouse scene is VERY VERY impressive. Those shots really sell me on the capabilities of the steadicam with experienced users. Were these shots achieved with the merlin?

From the setting up of the photos, it also looks as if they did a killer job on composition. The OOF to in focus shot of them coming down the aisle was fantastic.

I really can't say enough about this video, you guys just keep raising the bar.

Also, sending you an email regarding something else. :)
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #18
Still Motion

Travis,

The warehouse certainly was a dream location. We had a couple in today who is getting married this weekend and their jaw dropped to the floor when they saw the still from that place. The problem is, how do you compete with that and find something as unique in your local area? We have some serious searching to do around here.

Randy,

Thanks for all the kind words. We really go for a lot of diversity in our work in terms of the tools we use and the style of shots we achieve, and it really seems that is coming through when you watch our work. The merlin, while an amazing tool, can't get the same type of long tracking shots (nor can a glidecam) but the quality is close and it is debatable as to whether the extra time to learn a full steadicam and the extra investment is worth the extra smoothness in the footage. You obviously know my answer to that, but this is a very good argument for the other side as well.

Got your email too. Will get back to you ASAP, just need to sort out some emails issues. I do have good news though :)

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
The problem is, how do you compete with that and find something as unique in your local area? We have some serious searching to do around here.
I hear you. I just found a small warehouse-type building here a few weeks ago and can't wait to shoot an upcoming save-the-date video there. Boise building up quite rapidly, so it seems like any time you find one of these cool old buildings it's gone a week later and they're building something newer. All part of the challenge I guess. d;-)

Quote:
The merlin, while an amazing tool, can't get the same type of long tracking shots (nor can a glidecam) but the quality is close and it is debatable as to whether the extra time to learn a full steadicam and the extra investment is worth the extra smoothness in the footage.
So you were using a full-rig of some sort for those shots? I just got my Merlin last week and have found it to be quite a challenge. I thought those warehouse shots were on your Merlin, and I was blown away, especially by the quick shot between the pillars.
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #20
Still Motion

Travis,

I used a full Steadicam rig (the flyer). I couldn't get the smoothness or the same length in my shots with a merlin. Mike is more of the Merlin expert but even he finds they are better for shorter shots.

Patrick
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Travis,

I used a full Steadicam rig (the flyer). I couldn't get the smoothness or the same length in my shots with a merlin. Mike is more of the Merlin expert but even he finds they are better for shorter shots.

Patrick
Why is that? Are the larger rigs just more stable over a longer shot?

I ask because in my upcoming shoot at this warehouse I was planning a shot where I circle the couple several times from about 20-30 feet away. The shot would probably take a full 60-90 seconds. Oh, and I don't yet own the vest/arm unit (maybe next year).
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #22
Regular Crew

do not try this at home

i counted 10 places where i would've had an SEI (season ending injury) in that SDE.

you young-'uns. that's some lovely work.

jones
Chris P. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #23
Still Motion

Travis,

A larger rig is has more inertia and is therefore more resistant to small bumps, wind etc. With the arm attached, it is also easier to avoid having your footsteps in the shot. Add to that that the gimbal comes out the side of a flyer but is directly underneath the stage on the merlin, and you can get some much smoother long shots when you learn the rig. Of course, the operator makes all of the difference, but the flyer certainly makes it easier.

Patrick
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Travis,

A larger rig is has more inertia and is therefore more resistant to small bumps, wind etc. With the arm attached, it is also easier to avoid having your footsteps in the shot. Add to that that the gimbal comes out the side of a flyer but is directly underneath the stage on the merlin, and you can get some much smoother long shots when you learn the rig. Of course, the operator makes all of the difference, but the flyer certainly makes it easier.

Patrick
Okay, that's what I figured. Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #25
Still Motion

Chris,

There were probably a good 10 SEI in there for sure. That warehouse had some holes in the floor and the stairs were spotty at best- not the best steadicam terrain. But, you seemed pretty young when we got together, so I'm not sure when all this 'you young'uns' stuff is coming from. I'm sure you can still boogey when you try.

Patrick
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I see you posted a still on your blog. Can't wait to see more.

Question ... when you shoot outside with your steadicam rigs are you using an LCD hood on the LCD viewfinder so you can see your composition or a monitor attached to the steadicam unit? What about when Mike shoots with the Merlin handheld ... hood or no?
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #27
Major Player

I must agree with you. It's also become my favorite stillmotion SDE to date.

Must be the variety of angles and shots. Perhaps the song. Most definitely in large part due to the flying. (i'm seriously considering one now - just because of the sheer production value it adds).

I love the wit you put in there with the shoe shot and the nail polish(?).

And it must be said again, the warehouse shots were incredible!!!

The ending kinda just tapers off a LITTLE bit after a spectacular flourish in the warehouse. Don't you just wish we had that extra ten minutes evrytime for SDEs?

The synergy you talk about photo-video wise clearly shows. That said, I'd like to ask if you do take video only or photo only jobs.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Jason Magbanua; May 19th, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #28
Regular Crew

THAT IS KICK ASS STUUUUUUUUUUUF!!!
Holy!
Guys, I want to meet your ideas dealer.

The shoes shot, stop motion sequences and STEADICAM stuff - WOW. 1:57 and 2:14 are killer shots.

Congrats!

I can't wait to see UK clip.
Konrad Czystowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Gorgeous as usual!
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #30
Still Motion

Wow, thanks for all the support guys.

Travis,
I use both the on camera LCD and the one at the bottom of the rig for flying indoors and out, it all depends on the shot and the terrain. The bottom LCD is great for watching where your walking but can be less accurate for composition and exposure. The really tight spins around people are done with the on camera LCD to monitor things better.

Jason,
Thanks for the comments. You know how much I appreciate your feedback and enjoy your work. I can't say enough about what the Flyer does for our work. There is a common debate on these forums about the overuse of glidecam/steadicam type products, and I am sure we have been guilty of that in the past, but from our clients point of view, we only hear wonderful things about that aspect of our work in particular.

Totally agree about the ending. 10 more min and I could have really spiced it up, but as is I just need some way to end it and I used what I had. I am so glad Mike got that killer silhouette right near the ending so we had something strong for the last sequence. A couple gorgeous recap shots would have made it for me though. Always good to have something to look forward to next time.

We certainly do do photo or video only and a good 30% of our jobs are single service. There is a premium we charge for booking single service as it then makes it tougher to book the other side alone, but for many couples that option still works better. We have created some excellent work in single service environments, but especially for our cinematography, I think our best stuff comes out when the whole team is there. For photo, they sure don't mind having the extra room when we are absent. I got super lucky with this shoot as I got to shoot video for the day and show the SDE and then we did another mini shoot and I shot just photo- what an awesome day!

Konrad and Ian - thanks for the comments.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques