One Tight SDE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 19th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #1
Still Motion

One Tight SDE

This was one heck of a schedule. Never seen anything quite like it:

Preps started at 6 am.
Ceremony at 11:30 am (1 hour)
Photo-session prior to the ceremony
Reception started at 1:30 and ended at 4PM

Of course, things ran late and we got to the reception right at 1:30 with the goal of showing the SDE at 3:45. Everything is edited in HD now too, so I budgeted from 3 on to export, giving me 90 min to put this together.

Every time I took a break in editing to go shoot, Mike sat down and cut some of his footage together- which probably saved the SDE right there.

This is our tightest SDE yet, but oddly enough, I think it is also our best. Can't wait to do one of those full day shoots where we have an SDE- what a treat that will be :)

Shot in Tupelo MS.

http://vimeo.com/1031776

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Damn..I'm all excited now to check this out. Haha..I hate those rush jobs. I'm so glad I don't have to do the SDE (yet). :D

*edit* btw, it's protected.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Patrick the video is protected
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Still Motion

Just wanted to build some suspense. It is all fixed now :)

P.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Major Player

The suspense is really building now - it is still protected when I try!
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Still Motion

Changed the settings back and forth and saved it as public. Tested on other machines and all is good.

P.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Just wanted to build some suspense. It is all fixed now :)

P.
build suspense :p good one Patrick (^_^)

Congrats on 1,000 posts now to your video

Patrick you guys really pushed yourselves on the creative part. The nail polish shot was pretty slick just like the stop motion ring shot. The opening shot of the chapel with the lights turning on. Very cool ideas and the photo session portion in the building with the steadicam really added huge depth to the clip. Really enjoyed it. Your in the US quite a bit now? Let me know when you come to Maryland. Would love to meet you and your crew. Thanks for sharing

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Awesome!
It's hard to believed that is been done in just that short amount of time but coming from you guys I can believe it. I’m never imagine me doing an SDE. I think that will be too much stress and risk. Usually we are three videographers with 4 A1s, Glidecam x-10 and 1 HV20. It is very stressful just to coordinate the set up of equipment from one location
to the next additional to the shooting. You guys are an inspiration for some of us. Curiosity How do you handle the capturing of the Tapes before the SDE editing?

Great job as usual!

Jose ortiz
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

yep, nice one pat! not done watching it but i like what i see already! :D
Raphael Jamil Pranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #10
Major Player

I second Monday. The opening shot with the lights coming on was a great idea, and the warhouse section really made it for me as well.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #11
Major Player

Outstanding! Were you shooting in 24f with the camera on the Flyer? How did you happen across the empty warehouse? Great job again!

Last edited by Jason Bowers; May 19th, 2008 at 01:20 PM.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Great job, especially for only having 90 minutes to edit. My wife (photographer) was wondering if you guys brought the furniture to the warehouse from your studio or if you brought it from somewhere near the warehouse like the hotel where they got ready.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #13
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Very cool ideas and the photo session portion in the building with the steadicam really added huge depth to the clip. Really enjoyed it. Your in the US quite a bit now? Let me know when you come to Maryland. Would love to meet you and your crew. Thanks for sharing

Monday
Thanks for checking out the clip Monday. We have been doing quite a bit of traveling as of late with a couple Ca weddings, this one in MS, and a London wedding that will debuting shortly (and is probably the best thing we have done to date). If we are ever in Maryland, I will be sure to get in touch.

Patrick
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #14
Still Motion

Hi Jose,

I'm very happy to hear that you find inspiration in our work. This community has done a lot for our growth as a company and so I hope I can, at least, give a little part of that back.

For capturing tapes during the day we are often just playing an HV20 into a laptop wherever we are; the salon, hotel, ceremony, in the car. Our new workflow also involves having the shooter quickly rough cut their footage and find the best shots.

Raphael,

Glad your enjoying the clip so far. It certainly doesn't have as much pep and flash as your latest work, which is really outstanding, but I sure hope you still enjoy.

Patrick
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #15
Still Motion

Alastair,

I kinda got lucky with the opening shot and was in the right place at the right time, and then just put it together in FCP. I was so pumped about the warehouse portion of the day. We will be posting some photos on the blog shortly and those are pretty insane too.

When we arrived into town the father of the groom showed us around and pointed out the old warehouse. After mentioning what was inside, he said that the owner now kept it locked to keep people out. We took a look and knew that we just had to find away in. There was probably a team of 3-4 people in the groom's family calling everybody they knew to find out who owned the warehouse and how we could get in. Eventually somebody went to city hall, we got the name and they were happy to let us in.

Travis,

Be sure to check out the photo post coming soon; there was a bed and couch, as well as some mirrors and a ladder. The chairs are the only thing we brought there, and they came from the salon.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques