best iRiver replacement audio recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Trustee

best iRiver replacement audio recorder

Hey all,

I searched around to find suggestions for a good/small audio recorder that can be used with a lapel mic and put in a groom's pocket.

Seems like up to the end of last year or so, many were pointing to the Zoom H2. But now that we're post NAB, is this still a good choice, or is anyone using something newer and better?

Thanks for any help!
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Major Player

There's a lot of alternatives Vito but I don't think the "iRiver killer" has arrived just yet.

I had high hopes for the Zoom H2 until mine arrived. There's no way I'd put that thing in a groom's pocket - it's just too damned big compared to the iRiver. It does nicely with other types of audio though.

For mic'ing up the groom, I'll stay with my Senn G2 wireless units for as long as they work.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Trustee

Darnit! I was hoping the H2 was small enough. I've used minidisc recorders. Is it bigger than that?

I had high hopes for wireless, but I find it just enough extra time to set up that it stresses me out when I arrive at the church from the bride's house. And to top it off, you never know when you have a problem. I used it last weekend to mic the podium and thought, "what the heck, I'll just say 'check' a few times to adjust my sound levels," even though I felt like an idiot standing at the podium doing sound checks. Well, holy interference with the house system! I had to quickly change channels and try again. Fortunately that did it but I shudder to think what I would have had to do, if I had not checked.

The darned iRiver is just so easy, and it records forever. Yeah it doesn't sound as good, but you have to take the good with the bad.

Thanks Rick...
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
I was hoping the H2 was small enough. I've used minidisc recorders. Is it bigger than that?
I think the H2 is a bit "thicker" than a minidisk but the bulk would be about the same. Except I think the H2 will show through a snug jacket. The best use I've found for mine is to mic the DJ's speaker or to record live music. It's a great little unit for the price.

And I handle my iRivers better than the wife's china these days. I still use them to mic up a minister and also the podium. When used on a groom they never pick up the bride's audio like my wireless unit does... but man they are indeed amazing little devices.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
And I handle my iRivers better than the wife's china these days.
I hear ya. I thought about picking up a third on ebay lately, and noticed that those models a going for a very high price lately. Three times what I paid. I think people are grabbing them while they can...
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Trustee

I got a couple of 890's earlier in the year off ebay. Cheapest they went for was $us25, the dearest was $us84 - within days of each other! If you're patient you can get them on the cheaper side.

Last edited by Renton Maclachlan; May 26th, 2008 at 03:14 AM.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I recently bought a iriver t20mx (new) with a archos clipon mic in a local audio store, thought the iriver was about 50 dollar. It's not great quality in sound but it's sufficient.
I also use a zoom but a H4 which I usually position on a tripod and close to a loudspeaker in the church or if they have someone singing close to them.
This one gives really good audio quality but it's like the h2 a bit big, certainly nothing that can easily fit in a pocket.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I have a Microtrack II that works very well but is the size of an ipod (video) but is one inch thick. I also have a Belkin Tunetalk Stereo that plugs into an ipod that works with a lapel mic. It sounds even better with the stereo mic supplied with the Microtrack II. Belkin states that the TuneTalk will also work with the new iPod nano (video). I could test this, my daughter has a nano.

The iPod nano is 2.75x2.06x.26 inches, which is about the same as a mini DV cassette case only thinner. The Tunetalk Stereo is about 1.25 inches long, which would make the combination of the ipod and Tunetalk about 4x2 inches. Interestingly, the Microtrack II is about 4x2 inches, but is also almost 1 inch thick, making it bulky by comparison.

What are the dimensions of the iriver?
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lange View Post
What are the dimensions of the iriver?
My iriver is 55x25x15mm. only the archos mic has a preamplifier which is 55x50x15mm but both still fitt well into the grooms pocket.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Vito

I use the Olympus DS40, which has great recording time, size is quite small and battery life is excellent. Sound quality is very good and you have the option of selecting different folders to record multiple events if you happen to have several gigs in one weekend.

http://www.dyslexic.com/mmDYS/Images...ympusDS-40.jpg

Here is to illustrat the size of the unit

http://www.dyslexic.com/mmDYS/Images...mpusBundle.jpg
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #11
Trustee

Hey Carl. that actually looks pretty small. You use this at events? Have you tried it with a lapel mic? What do you think? I took a quick look at the manual, and it says it accepts external mics, which is great.

Do you find the three mic sensitivity settings enough flexibility? And you say good sound quality but any problems with self noise or anything else?

Thanks. Hope to run into sometime here in Montreal!
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #12
Major Player

There was another recent thread singing the praises of the Olympus DS-30.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=96034

Just picked up one myself to try. Haven't used it in anger yet. All I have noted so far is that you appear to have only three options for recording sensitivity. Low/Med/High. Lapel mic works fine, or, used the supplied mics on a lecturn/hidden away.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #13
New Boot

Hi Vito, I was using MiniDisk also but I'm now using the H2. Below is a side-by-side look at the sizes. I'm also using a belt pouch rather than stuffing in a jacket.
Attached Thumbnails
best iRiver replacement audio recorder-h2-width.gif   best iRiver replacement audio recorder-h2-depth.gif  

best iRiver replacement audio recorder-h2-pouch.gif  
Andrew McWeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McWeeny View Post
I'm also using a belt pouch rather than stuffing in a jacket.
Hey Andy. Thanks for the photos. Are you happy with the H2? And with the belt pouch, do you mean you attach the belt pouch to the groom because you find the H2 too big to go in his pocket?

I looked for you at the old port on Saturday but didn't see you. Ran into Marco, though... Mine was a 16 hour marathon, but I heard you may have beat the record for longest all day wedding coverage!

Cheers,
Vito
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Major Player

Buy an iRiver on eBay. I love those little guys and have a bunch of spares. They make great backups for my Senn G2's.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques