first SDE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 27th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

first SDE

I want to share my first sde experience.

This was the ‘first’ of many things for me:

First time shooting an event with the ex1’s – What a great camera! Other than being heavy, I love everything about the camera. The ‘real’ lens on it made it easy to focus…no more spinning the focus ring forever. The depth of field was awesome and all of the controls on the camera felt very natural on the shoot. I shot another wedding the day after with the pd170’s and I hated it.

First time editing on a notebook – I have been editing on a workstation with dual computer monitors and a 20” viewing monitor for the last 15 years. So editing on a 17” notebook was difficult for me. At times I can’t tell if the shot was in focus or not looking at the small 4x5 viewing screen.

First time editing with Edius 4.6 – I have been editing on Edius 1.5 forever. Some of the layouts of the buttons and shortcut key strokes were way different. It took me 5 minutes to find the ‘print to file’ option button while the coordinator was looking over my shoulder asking if I’m ready yet. Can you say ‘STRESS’?!?

This was my practice sde as I have a real one in June. I called up the photog to see if she had any brides wanting an sde. My offer was the do the sde for free but the bride needs to setup the rentals for the projector, screen, and audio system. If she wants to buy the sde on a dvd/blu-ray, she can. Being that this was a ‘practice’ run, I wanted to put myself thru as much pressure as possible. I did not prepare for anything as one should for an sde. I just did it from scratch. I didn’t even build filters in advanced.

I was to have 2 hours to edit the sde but things were lagging behind. I ended up having 75 minutes to do the edit which includes transferring files from the sxs cards, edit, and print to file.

So here it is…my first sde. I am not looking for critiques as I know there are many things wrong with it. I hope to get better as I do more of these. I also want to thank all of the people who post their sde all of the time as it has helps me a lot.

oh...and the Bride purchased the sde on blu-ray. Yah!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/1070783
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Don:
I thought the piece was very well done...first time or not. Footage looked very clean. Looks like a great cam in low light. We have our first SDE in October but we need to sneak one in for a client just to go through the paces. Did you use your own sound system? If so, elaborate on that set up and the make and model. We are wanting to purchase a system so that we are in control over the quality of sound, which really is the other experience you want the audience to have.

Great work.
John
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Looks really good. But is it me, or does that text during the dad's ring she's wearing look like the spacing is a tad out of whack? Perhaps the "stress" caused one too many spacebar hits between "My father" & "me today" ? :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Love it

The picture and color is awesome, candy for my eye. The clip of the cake is outstanding as well.

May I ask what frame rate were you shooting?
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Trustee

That EX1 looks CLEAN. (glances disdainfully at his FX7's)

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Nicely done. I know you aren't looking for critique, so consider this more of a "tip", if it helps. The dutch shot of the reception hall was a bit shaky, but since it wasn't a moving shot and there wasn't anything moving within the shot, you could have just used a video still for that shot and it might have worked better.

What are your thoughts on using the camera at a reception with flashes going off? I'm paranoid of upgrading to a CMOS camera because I don't want those weird "half flash" frames. What are your thoughts?
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #7
Trustee

Travis - if you're worried about the half frame flashes, then CMOS isn't for you. The upgraded HVX200a might be right for you, or the yet to be released HPX170.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm guess I'm worried about how noticeable it is. I've only seen a few clips, so I can't really speak to how annoying it would be say .. over the course of a wedding video .. or if you just get used it.

It's kind of like going from watching HD to SD. It's not as good but my eyes/mind adjust to it pretty quick and I don't notice the difference anymore. But if I'm watching a DVD and it doesn't scale properly and the image ends up stretched vertically on the screen I'll notice it for the entire movie.
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

nice

Hey don.

looks great, image quality is great, colors look nice, editing is great, good timing, good pacing, music its fun. The only thing I had a hard time with was the tilted angles you have. it was a bit weird to me. and you have a good amount of them, specially the ones that have movement too...is that a stedicam? anyways, this are minor detail for the great quality of your video. I hope you don't mind my feed back even though you didn't ask for...hehe

Thanks for sharing.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
Hey Don:
I thought the piece was very well done...first time or not. Footage looked very clean. Looks like a great cam in low light. We have our first SDE in October but we need to sneak one in for a client just to go through the paces. Did you use your own sound system? If so, elaborate on that set up and the make and model. We are wanting to purchase a system so that we are in control over the quality of sound, which really is the other experience you want the audience to have.

Great work.
John

thanks john.

i ran the sound thru the dj setup. it was the bride's responsibility to have everything in place for me as far as projection and sound system. i did do a sound and projection test during cocktail hour to make sure everything was good.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiuChung Leung View Post
The picture and color is awesome, candy for my eye. The clip of the cake is outstanding as well.

May I ask what frame rate were you shooting?

shot @ 1080 60i
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #12
New Boot

Don,

Nice work. Colors look great. I'm looking to buy an Edius 4.6 Laptop to do some editing with the EX-1 as well. What Laptop are you using and how much is realtime vs render? How are you creating your blu-rays?

Thanks for the post.

David
DMS
David Samelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Samelman View Post
Don,

Nice work. Colors look great. I'm looking to buy an Edius 4.6 Laptop to do some editing with the EX-1 as well. What Laptop are you using and how much is realtime vs render? How are you creating your blu-rays?

Thanks for the post.

David
DMS

i got a custom notebook from http://www.thedvshop.com/home.aspx
call and ask for tony...he will take care of you. the notebook was built to handle the ex1 native footage and some layers of filters without the need to render. what you saw in my sde was all real time...no rendering req'd.

if you plan on editing ex1 footage, make sure you get edius BROADCAST 4.6 .

as for blu-ray work flow, i use procoder 3 and encore cs3 to make the disc.
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #14
New Boot

Don,

Thanks for the reply. What about downconverting. Are you having good results?

David
DMS
David Samelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Do you use any steadicam system? Which one?
Im my opinion one of the best clips I've ever seen! Fantastic shots.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques