Which NLE do you use...? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 29th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
PP CS3 seems like an expensive capture program.
Indeed. 10 characters
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #17
New Boot

I'm using Vegas 8. I chose to go that path due to the PC base of my knowledge and support, and started with it's cousin "Video Explosion Deluxe." Moving to Vegas from VED was natural.
Todd Geer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I've been a fan of Vegas from the start. I did the whole "try out all of them" thing. I used Liquid for a project I did for a client on their hardware.... hated hated hated it. I tried Avid Express HD, Premier Pro, ULead, and Vegas 6. I decided vegas was the fastest to learn, seemed to provide the most number of tools with out needing expensive plugins, and had scripting if you wanted to add functionality. So I bought the full version and haven't even considered anything else. I skipped 7 though. Didn't see a need. But I did get 8. Much improved, if for nothign other than the window layout presets. Such a time savor when I want to switch to my work flow for CC work vs seeing all the time line and doing the rough cutting.
I could not agree more...Vegas is a sweet app.
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #19
Major Player

Sony Vegas 7 and FCP 6
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #20
Major Player

We use Edius. I tried Premiere in 1999, but it was constantly crashing, so I used Rex Edit. It offered real time editing and was super stable, although it was so basic that it had a lot of limitations. I switched to Edius about 5 years ago. Edius is super stable and I can edit real time HD on a laptop or cheap computer tower. No need for special hardware.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Simple answer is that we use FCS.

The S is important. As a matter of fact, I imagine it is the same with Premiere users or even Vegas users. The NLE is one thing.... but what else can your package do? We have started using Motion, within FCS, to create custom menus for DVDs. Not really all that hard but makes a HUGE impact. We are moving from LiveType to Motion for most of our text. And I see Motion playing an even bigger role in our Highlights edits as we get more and more comfortable with it. We use DVDSP to author the DVDs. Again with custom menus and DVD-ROM access and so on. We just came back from a seminar where they showed some of the things that can be done within Soundtrack. I mean simple things like removing a "thud" of someone knocking the microphone. Or adding ambient effects that you wouldn't know were added but really add production value.

And I guess that's the key sentiment: Production Value. What can you do with your package to add production value. I think most NLE's will be very similar- but what else is in the bundle?

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #22
New Boot

Vegas, versions 4 through 8 Pro. And accompanying DVDA 4.5. Additional other tools too, AE7, Particle Illusion, Paint Shop Pro X2.
Todd Geer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I had been using premier since 97, but switched to Edius last year. So far I am very happy, although I did have to make some adjustments in how I edit.
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I'm a PC guy soooo.... Mediachance EditStudio 6, Premier Elements 4.0, Visual Communicator 2 Studio and a load of other software to help my final product look more professional as I keep learning this stuff. I use EditStudio for most of my projects because I feel comfortable using it and most importantly, it does everything I need and more.
Steve Loeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bisom View Post
Simple answer is that we use FCS.

The S is important. As a matter of fact, I imagine it is the same with Premiere users or even Vegas users. The NLE is one thing.... but what else can your package do? We have started using Motion, within FCS, to create custom menus for DVDs. Not really all that hard but makes a HUGE impact. We are moving from LiveType to Motion for most of our text. And I see Motion playing an even bigger role in our Highlights edits as we get more and more comfortable with it. We use DVDSP to author the DVDs. Again with custom menus and DVD-ROM access and so on. We just came back from a seminar where they showed some of the things that can be done within Soundtrack. I mean simple things like removing a "thud" of someone knocking the microphone. Or adding ambient effects that you wouldn't know were added but really add production value.

And I guess that's the key sentiment: Production Value. What can you do with your package to add production value. I think most NLE's will be very similar- but what else is in the bundle?

Mike
Do you find it cumbersome to bring work from Motion into FCP? I've only used Motion a little bit, but I'd like to experiment some more. Any sources you would recommend for learning?
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #26
Major Player

Each NLE has it's good and bad master one and your doing well

I began with PPro to many problems then i went to a mac and have never looked back FC studio the best investment i have ever made.

Rob.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #27
New Boot

I use Premier CS3 only because it's bundled to Matrox RT.X2, otherwise I'd use Vegas. Just like it better, although it pretty much does the same thing as any other NLE.
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #28
Major Player

I second Bissom

I tried a few consumer grade programs on PC and then went whole hog into the FCS package.

I just watched the DVD the box came with and got into motion to create some really killer title sequences. Making changes etc is super easy!

I have been frustrated by the no blu-ray issue so I have been looking at the Adobe products. Really hoping that mac will have a solution soon. I'm not in the mood to learn a new platform but I really want to do HD DELIVERY!!!
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Here Casablanca and FCP.........
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro for us. I love it. For the first few years i took the time to learn all of the basic shortcuts and as i implemented and memorized the keystrokes my workflow become efficient and effortless. I eventually began using my mouse less and the keyboard more and things have never been the same.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques