Which NLE do you use...? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 5th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #46
Regular Crew

I just made the switch from a core 2 quad and cs4 to an octo mac and FCS2 and man my machine just chews thru video like butter. I couldn't be more happy.
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
Vegas 8 Pro. I started on Vegas movie studio 7 Platinum, then on to Movie Studio 8 Plantinum, then to 8 Pro. If you aren't using more than 4 video channels and 4 audio channels and aren't syncing multiple cameras, give Vegas Movie Studio Platinum a try. It's less than $100 and extremely powerful. It also is extremely similar to Vegas Pro. Its a low-risk, low-cost way to edit and see if you like the Vegas system.
Just looking at my current project, with barely any actually editing done... just putting the media on the timeline, I have 26 tracks. This is from a three camera shoot. That track limitation is pretty restrictive when you want better audio.

I played with a ULead system. I demo'ed Avid & PP. I checked out Liquid (could not stand the interface). I DL'ed Vegas 6 and it just made sense. The user interface was perfect for someone that had not been a NLE editor before. I jumped to pro because I never even considered that I might not need the many tracks, CC wheels, scripting, etc. Scripting has been a massive advantage for me (and a money earner for VASST). I got the bundled DVDA and have only ever used it for DVD authoring. I skipped V7 (no real improvements for my needs). I re-upped to V8. Not sure if I'll need the next one because i have no 64bit hardware / OS and I'm not shooting HD yet.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I checked out Liquid (could not stand the interface).
I don't know if there is any point in this thread. I love the Liquid interface. Which just goes to show how much it boils down to personal preference.
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
I don't know if there is any point in this thread. I love the Liquid interface. Which just goes to show how much it boils down to personal preference.
I totally agree. For some reason, the Liquid GUI just didn't make sense to me. I couldn't wrap my head around how to work it.

I think it also helped that I found DVInfo and there was pages and pages of great tips & tutorials available (and on VASST, and JetDV) for Vegas. I just saw the huge community and went with the NLE that seemed like it was the easiest to start right in with out the steep learning curve. Different brains work different ways

(my wife might say that my brain doesn't so much "work" as mysteriously function on nothing but coffee and oatmeal).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques