DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   A clip from a Moscow, Russia wedding 4min (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/122747-clip-moscow-russia-wedding-4min.html)

Oleg Kalyan May 30th, 2008 02:31 PM

A clip from a Moscow, Russia wedding 4min

http://olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/OlyaDima600340.mov

Please share the comments if you have any,
would be glad to hear what you think

Cheers.

Osmany Tellez May 31st, 2008 09:17 AM

ok, I'm no expert here but I give you my opinion.

you'r work is very high quality, no doubt. you have a lot of beautiful stuff in there. If I had to give a critique it'll be that there is almost too much in there, too complicated all the time. maybe mixing with other qualities will be nice. It reminded it me to a 3 ring circus, everything is amazing but too much all at once. Hey, this is only if I had to find a thing to improve...otherwise I'll give a 10...high quility stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Oleg Kalyan May 31st, 2008 01:32 PM

Osmany, thank you.
You are right, maybe it's too much, yet it is a clip, sort of a music video, so I wanted it to be more intense, than long form wedding film for the couple, still I wanted it to be very poetic.

I really think that the sensual part was not weakened by the editing, the continuity of emotions was primary subject for me!

Could I manage to convey sincerity of the couple that what matters, I think!
Editing stuff can be an eye candy, that the audience likes in a trailer, music video. (I believe)

Oleg Kalyan May 31st, 2008 09:55 PM

Sorry about the off topic,

I didn't know what is "3 RING CIRCUS", never seen it,
http://www.3ringcircus.tv/showreel.php

I take it as a compliment, well I guess the intensity of editing
is a contemporary way of communicating visual language!

Again, just hope that it doesn't destroy the sincerity of the couple.

Vito DeFilippo May 31st, 2008 11:18 PM

Hi Oleg,

As mentioned, there's lots of great stuff in there. You shoot beautifully, with great ideas.

Still, I would just use one song. I hate the artificial fade out in the middle just to use a second song. Tighten your edit to fit one song in my opinion.

Your shots are beautiful, except that I find you use too many with the fisheye lens. It's fun for an effect here and there, but you use it a lot.

I can't imagine how much time you spent on the opening, with all the picture in picture, etc.. I liked it a lot, but could never put the time in to something like that. Great work.

Noa Put June 1st, 2008 03:23 AM

Loved the image quality as well, you had a lot of different good shots to use in the edit, do you work alone or with more camera operators?

I only have 2 "complaints";
The music didn't fit well, especially with the first part, I think a more up tempo song would be better. You had a quite fast edit there and this should be matched to a song that as a quicker beat. Now it just didn't "feel" right if you know what I mean.
Second I have the same comment as said here before, in the beginning with all the effects (which were very good executed) I often didn't know where to look first, each time I thought I saw something nice it was already gone. :)

Oleg Kalyan June 1st, 2008 04:24 AM

"each time I thought I saw something nice it was already gone. :)"

Noa, thanks!
Sorry about that, wanted to keep the pace quite high... about the music,
you probably right, although editing (fast paced) was "countered", balanced imo, by relatively mellow song.

Vito, thank you, I use two or more different songs for a trailer/clip on purpose, change of mood, pace, making a conclusion, that is the structure reason.

I guess its more of a trailer thing than a clip.

Finn Nielsen June 1st, 2008 03:02 PM

Hello Oleg.

I really like your video. I think it's super.

How longe time do you use to make such video incl. editing?

Greeting from Denmark.

Oleg Kalyan June 1st, 2008 04:43 PM

Finn, Appreciate!
The clip is a part of a 60 min. wedding film, I give to the client,
in addition to that I edit a 3 to 4 min clip/trailer, so it's about 5 hours of editing labor in addition to a 4 to 5 days to complete 60 min. wedding film, if it's shot on one camera.

On this particular wedding I worked alone, no assistant, no second camera,
I rotated two different cameras.

John Moon June 2nd, 2008 10:34 AM

Oleg...I really liked it. It's your style. I think I would echo the comment from Vito about fading the song out BUT...if you had the Bride or Groom give you some voice over to help make the transition to change the pace or feel I think the fade out would have been fine. Still...very nice work.

Oleg Kalyan June 2nd, 2008 11:01 AM

John, Thanks a lot!,
next time I think how to mix up two songs, this clip is kind of long isn't it,
VO could be a choice as you suggested. Will keep on working!

Osmany Tellez June 3rd, 2008 06:00 PM

it was a compliment!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 886464)
Sorry about the off topic,

I didn't know what is "3 RING CIRCUS", never seen it,
http://www.3ringcircus.tv/showreel.php

I take it as a compliment, well I guess the intensity of editing
is a contemporary way of communicating visual language!

Again, just hope that it doesn't destroy the sincerity of the couple.

Hey Oleg. I was away doing some other stuff and didn't see your post.

I was talking about ringling and Bros.. http://www.ringling.com/explore/...

it's an amazing, high level show..they have used 3 rings instead of tradicially 1 ring, everything that happens is great, its just that for some people like me sometimes is too much to take in all at once. Still it is an amazing show.

Anyways, your vid is great, for sure I hope I can do some of the cool stuff you have there, I was just trying to give some feed back as A viewer hoping it'll be more helpful than just saying how good you are....and you are.

I'll definetly keep looking at your vid for inspiration..

Thanks a lot.

OT

Travis Cossel June 3rd, 2008 08:13 PM

From a technical perspective I think your video stands up well.

From a stylistic perspective ...

I found the first part of the edit to be distracting with all of the various effects. I really felt like I was watching an effects show more than a video about 2 people in love. In terms of your skill and dedication, it was impressive, but it felt disconnected from the couple for me.

The pace of the editing also didn't seem to fit the music. I know you said you felt the edit and music were balanced because they were so different from each other, but I disagree. It just didn't work for me.

Although using 2 songs didn't really bother me, I do think you could have gone with one song and been more selective in your shots and had a much stronger video.

Impressive editing and good shot compositions, but some things just didn't work for me. Thanks for sharing!

Oleg Kalyan June 4th, 2008 09:07 AM

Travis, thank you,
I guess this clip was like going for "more is more" principle, which is a fine line and may not work most of the time.

The couple and their emotions are primary in making a clip, one thing I try to conquer is a "pattern" in style of shooting and editing.

Appreciate the comment!

Carl Wilky June 4th, 2008 01:38 PM

I agree with Vito and pretty much everyone else here. I understand what you were traying to acheive... the music video effect but the speed of the video doesn't match the speed of the song in my opinion.

The other thing you want to do is leave the viewers wanting more, i would've had left less images with the couple and substitute it with b-roll footage.

Oleg, what camera do you use and what brand of fisheye do you have?