Saved the Date Mockup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Save the Date Mockup

Hi guys

Just recently got a DOF adapter and went out to shoot a save the date mockup clip for the first time. Certainly a very different experience with the added on 35mm lens. I went for candid music clip type editing. Please let me know what shots worked and didn't and how I could do it better.

http://www.vimeo.com/1096145

Last edited by Peter Szilveszter; June 2nd, 2008 at 03:49 AM. Reason: title change
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Major Player

I love it bro!

Really cool! Ok, a few questions.

How did you get that kick but "organic" look on your noise? Is it a filter?

The image is just awesome and it really looks like 16mm. I like the backlit part where you are shooting the back of your wifes head and you adjust the iris a little. That gives that old school amature manual film cam look that is so coveted these days.

It is just artsy enough to forgive any small cam moves and makes them look authentic.

Did you hand hold the A1 and the adapter?
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the comments, I am really happy with how the adapter effects the image, I think you are right its sort of 16mm look. I sort of put it a really clean super 8 look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
How did you get that kick but "organic" look on your noise? Is it a filter??
I did a colour grade and pushed the mid contrast and with the combination of the adapter which softens the image a bit creates that organic look and brings out that type of grain, and also lots of credit to the A1 as well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
Did you hand hold the A1 and the adapter?
I did about half of the shots. I was trying to see how well I can handle the cam if I had to do hand held, the unit sits on a Cavision rails.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM   #4
New Boot

Very nice. I really like how the colors turned out. Greens and blues looked great!
Ryan Whitefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:15 PM   #5
Major Player

30p?

Did I miss what 35mm adapter you used? What lens as well? I wonder if this is feasable on location at an actual event.

I am a one man band. It seems like there is already so much stuff to carry but that thing really takes the game up quite a few notches. I think the EX can make similar images. I have heard that cannon has great colors.

Looking forward to more!

All the best :)
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:51 AM   #6
Major Player

hehe you may have missed it on the Vimeo page :) its the RNG35 adapter which is much cheaper then then well known ones, and used a 50mm Nikon lens with it.

Its all about preparation, I have planned ahead how I would use it on the field. and right now I am pretty much the same shoes as you but I will have the hv20 setup with the rng35 while doing the getting ready stuff and my A1 standard on a merlin and then I have a shot list for which shot will be taken with which cam. Then the ceremony I wouldn't really use it except waiting, signing, congrats stuff. Then photo shoot use it plenty with a mix of merlin shots and adapter, then during the reception again cut back just to the A1 since low light is an issue generally.

The EX can give you some great options, but then like for my budget I can get more equipment at the cost of one cam so I rather A1, hv20, adapter, lenses, light and a merlin for the time being which gives me more choices.

So I will have a lot of mixed bag of shots and the adapter shots would be my "featured" shots. I would shoot the whole Save the date and love story with the adapter on the A1 most likely, although if its a lot of locations or running around the hv20 might be better which is also light enough to go onto the merlin with the adapter
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #7
New Boot

thought it looked great! nice work. never heard of RNG. i'm looking at the brevis... just saving my pennies... again - good stuff!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques