SDE discussion revisited + bride in an Alpha Romeo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
The real key though is how much trust and respect our couples have with us and that gives us a level of freedom that really lets us do something new every time without worrying about having to get anything in particular. So, should we miss the hair entirely to get an amazing ring shot, no feelings would be hurt.
THAT is pretty amazing. Would you say a lot of that trust comes from the work you've already shown the couple, or the way you approach them about shooting their wedding, or both?

I'm curious because when I miss something I get the feeling that people think I'm not doing my job. Like this weekend, I was transitioning from a creative shot (adjusting equipment) and the bride put on her earrings. It happened so fast I didn't even see her do it. I had to ask her to take one out and put it on again, and I really hate doing that kind of fabricated shot. I got the feeling she was surprised I had missed it.

By the way, I wish I could catch you at re-frame, but I guess I'll have to meet up with you at WPPI next year instead. I assume you'll be there?
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Very nice Patrick! I loved every minute of it. Could easily be a Highlight. There was one shot I did not understand which was the individual running out of the synagogue and you showed on his feet. It seemed out of place but the rest was great and the shot of the confetti was breath taking. Loved your ring shots. Thanks for sharing freely and it was a treat to view.

Monday
Monday,

The running shot is crucial to the story even though it might not make sense at first. That guy was to walk the bride in and was waiting for his signal. After all the girls went down the aisle, the signal never came. He waited a couple minutes, then went into the church to check out what was happening and everybody was just waiting for the bride so he ran back as quick as he could to get her.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Patrick.. Loved the opening shot of the trees and then revealing the dress.. The shot is now much more purposeful than just a random fly-by of the trees.

When the couple walked in at the reception there were some strong lighting from the DJ booth. Did you guys set those up?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM   #19
Major Player

Simply

Goosebumps
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM   #20
Trustee

Patrick - how dare you steal the dress shot I've had in my head before I can actually use it... I'm suing for intellectual property rights infringement.

Actually that was a great shot because you don't see it coming. That was a really long walk your stedicam guy took before he got to the dress. Pretty impressive. Every time I see your stuff lately, it's the skill of the stedicam op that has really stood out to me. Whoever is handling that thing is doing a top notch job.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #21
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Whoever is handling that thing is doing a top notch job.
Thanks Ethan - thats me :)

Michael is training on a pilot and catching up quickly though.

I did steal that dress shot from you, sorry about that, but when I imagined you thinking of the shot I just had to do it.

Patrick
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #22
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Hi Patrick.. Loved the opening shot of the trees and then revealing the dress.. The shot is now much more purposeful than just a random fly-by of the trees.

When the couple walked in at the reception there were some strong lighting from the DJ booth. Did you guys set those up?
Hi Yang,

Thanks for the comments- I agree about the dress shot. I love shots that reveal something to the viewer right when you think you have it.

The lighting was done by the DJ but we worked with him to optimize flare and color.

Patrick
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Thanks Ethan - thats me :)

Michael is training on a pilot and catching up quickly though.

I did steal that dress shot from you, sorry about that, but when I imagined you thinking of the shot I just had to do it.

Patrick
cudos to you Sir.

I've got a few other ideas floating around up there that I can't quite pull off but would totally rock.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #24
Still Motion

Thanks Monday, glad you enjoyed it.

Jason,

The Cinevate Dolly is very cool, but we reserve that for commercial type work. While the circular dolly shot would be gorgeous, the setup time and eyesore at a wedding is though to take when the circular steadicam shot ain't all that bad. Totally agree with your point about the motion adding emotion. We haven't used the brevis much for the reception, though we did break it out lately for some crazy dancing footage.

I am totally stoked for some of our upcoming Cali wedding that are almost all outside with lots of light = a heck of a lot of brevis opportunity.

Patrick
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #25
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
cudos to you Sir.

I've got a few other ideas floating around up there that I can't quite pull off but would totally rock.
Feel free to send those over too and I'll give them a try- with proper credit given to you of course.

Patrick
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi Patrick, may I know what is the mode you shoot most of your video in? I see that even with fast panning using your steadicam, it is still smooth and doesn't have those trail shadows like those I took in 25F (shutter 1/25), I'm in PAL land. You seem to be shooting in 60i am I right? :)
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Patrick

SDE well done, from begining to end. I really like how you manage to intergrate b-rolls throughout each locations, almost as if you had a storyboard everytime you do your weddings. I guess it becomes second nature for you guys now.

I notice you use a fisheye lens, what lens do you use? Century? 16x9?

Thank you for sharing your clips with us and more imprtantly, thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #28
New Boot

Great work!

Now, do you actually use different presets in your A1 to get different colors? Or you do all in post?
Old June 8th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #29
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wilky View Post
I really like how you manage to intergrate b-rolls throughout each locations, almost as if you had a storyboard everytime you do your weddings. I guess it becomes second nature for you guys now.

I notice you use a fisheye lens, what lens do you use? Century? 16x9?
Thanks for the comments Carl. I find that an SDE really forces you to go beyond thinking about a shot at a time and to start tying sequences together in your head before they are shot. I can see Mike get a certain shot, think of something that would compliment it, and already know how it will all fit together in the SDE- which is a big time saver. I find that comes with practice and working with the same team all the time. We generally try to have a rough storyboard ready before hand though.

As for the fisheye, there wasn't one, just wide angle lenses, anything from .6 to .8., and none of them are century either.

Alex,
There was a time I used presets extensively. Our current workflow however calls for shooting a slightly flatter image and tweaking in post. I try to retain as much detail as possible and keep it balanced so I have my options wide option when I start putting it together.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques