DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Fast video trailer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/123383-fast-video-trailer.html)

Matt Bishop June 9th, 2008 03:23 PM

Fast video trailer

Hello all! I figured it was time to share again!

Our very first trailer (first video on our blog) that we did a few months ago was a short cinematic trailer with big bold music. It seems to be a favorite for a lot of brides and clients so I've created a similar one for a wedding we had last Saturday. Different music, better movement, more details, and best of all..HD

It was a little more difficult to put together because there was sooo much going on and we got so much footage but I think it came together pretty well for what I wanted to show.

http://mediainnovationsblog.com/2008...keith-trailer/

Matt

Jason Magbanua June 9th, 2008 07:14 PM

That was some solid shooting Matt. Liked the way it was put together.

Some of the glides seemed just a bit unsteady (a very few).

Thanks for sharing.

Matt Bishop June 9th, 2008 07:32 PM

Thanks!

Yeah, I know that some of them aren't the best glides. We were running around like crazy and were pressed for time to get shots but I think the biggest part is that I'm having to readjust to the new cameras. We're now using xh-a1's on glidecam 2000 so it's maxed out and a bit harder to control. I haven't decided what upgrade I'm going to do for that just yet.

thanks again for your reply!

Franklin Bencosme June 9th, 2008 09:17 PM

Nice trailer,good cuts very impressive music.
The music what movie the soundtrack??

Franklin

Osmany Tellez June 9th, 2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin Bencosme (Post 890657)
Nice trailer,good cuts very impressive music.
The music what movie the soundtrack??

Franklin

I believe is from The Contender...

jeje...it took me a minute thou

Bill Grant June 9th, 2008 09:50 PM

nope, Transformers I think...
Bill

Lloyd Coleman June 9th, 2008 10:40 PM

The Contender is correct. I have used that on several football highlight videos. I'ts kind of funny for me to watch it for a wedding video now because I associate it with hard hitting, smash mouth football.

Chris P. Jones June 9th, 2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Bishop (Post 890521)
Our very first trailer (first video on our blog) that we did a few months ago was a short cinematic trailer with big bold music. It seems to be a favorite for a lot of brides and clients so I've created a similar one for a wedding we had last Saturday.

I watched them both and found the first one to be much different than the most recent one. The most recent one contained more realtime, glidecamming, and less filters.

What do you think it was that brides and clients enjoyed about the first one that you're carrying over into the 2nd?

jones

p.s. i watched the one at the bottom of your blog, august 2007

Matt Bishop June 10th, 2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris P. Jones (Post 890712)
I watched them both and found the first one to be much different than the most recent one. The most recent one contained more realtime, glidecamming, and less filters.

What do you think it was that brides and clients enjoyed about the first one that you're carrying over into the 2nd?

jones

p.s. i watched the one at the bottom of your blog, august 2007

Well, you are correct that the shots, cuts and techniques are different now. I think what I meant by relating them to each other was more of the choice of music than anything. This current one flows a lot better than the first and is different in the shots I used and how I put those together. The fact that is was short, quick and had more of a grand soundtrack is how they are similar. People liked the first one because to them, it was more like watching a movie trailer that you would see as a commercial. Some of that carries over to that newest one but since you posed the question, you're right. I have put in more shots to make it almost more of a highlights than a trailer....I guess that was just due to the footage I was able to get and trying to keep highlight videos from being repeats of each other where you seem to see the same thing from every wedding. So the answer to your question would simply have to be the music. :-)

Lloyd brought up a good point about using the same soundtrack for football. That's another thing that makes this trailer different from my other highlights and such because it's not music you would normally associate with weddings. That is the case for this soundtrack and the first video I mentioned and is surprisingly what has been the appeal for brides.

and yes, its from the Contender

thanks!!!

Chris P. Jones June 10th, 2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Bishop (Post 890850)
So the answer to your question would simply have to be the music. :-)

Music is such a powerful sales tool. Find something clients like, throw their imagery on top, and you've got a recipe for success! The music we choose, to some degree, defines our target market.

So it seems that you're attracting some good attention using epic movie music. Would a different genre have worked for the same clients? In your opinion, would anything else have fit the emotion of the day?

jones

Matt Bishop June 10th, 2008 08:21 PM

The two times I have chosen to use this music, it has fit the couple quite well. I definitely wouldn't do this for most or even half of our couples. In this case, the trailer and editing I chose to produce reflected the couples personality and the feeling of their day. Could I have used another genre and made it work? I believe I could have but to me that's the difference between a great video (or example to post on the blog) and just another video that looks the same as all of my other ones. Selecting the right music is, more times than not, make it or break it part of the video. I felt that this was something they would like more than giving them something similar to some of my other highlights.....highlights that were produced specifically for that other couple that fit THEIR personalities and emotion of the day.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say that our market likes the epic feel more than anything else, I just seemed to have gotten more reaction from that initially. Part of that was probably due to the fact that it was the first blog piece we posted and I was bringing a new feel and style of wedding videography into this area and many people either hadn't seen before, or didn't expect. The perception of wedding video here is still 'uncle bob' and I'm working very hard to change that.