Cable from unmanned camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 10th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Cable from unmanned camera

Well, I was thinking, since we sometimes have an unamanned camera, I'd like to monitor the video. Most times we are within 30 feet and can see the lcd, but it would still be nice to run a cable from that camera to a larger LCD.

Does anyone do this. I'm not sure what cable I want to get given the various limitations on length etc.

At this point, I'm thinking a 50foot cable with an LCD of some sort, I'd love to go wirelesss if someone has an idea.
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes, I do this. When I do multi-camera shoots, I have a remote controlled camera that I monitor using a cheap and very small LCD TV. The image quality is not good, but it's good enough to make sure I frame what I want to capture. It also shows me the on-screen display, so I can see the readouts for focal length, remaining tape, etc.

I run a composite video signal from the camera to this LCD TV.

- Martin
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
Yes, I do this. When I do multi-camera shoots, I have a remote controlled camera that I monitor using a cheap and very small LCD TV. The image quality is not good, but it's good enough to make sure I frame what I want to capture. It also shows me the on-screen display, so I can see the readouts for focal length, remaining tape, etc.

I run a composite video signal from the camera to this LCD TV.

- Martin
When you say remote controlled, are you talking about the remote that start/stops or you talking about a joystick. And thanks, I will look into this more, I would feel more comfortable seeing the third camera, it just makes things less stressful. Hehe.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use balanced mike cables with XLR to phono adaptors at each end to monitor composite video. I've used 100 foot lengths with minimal signal loss and noise.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
When you say remote controlled, are you talking about the remote that start/stops or you talking about a joystick
Both. I use a standard LANC controller (with a long cable) for zoom and focus control, plus this for pan and tilt:
http://www.imagewest.tv/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=34

I'm not too happy with it because the movement starts and ends rather abruptly, so it takes the camera a second or two to get a stable picture after I start or stop moving it. But it's better than not having it at all, of course.

- Martin
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

there is also the 'grizzly pro' remote unit. I think the Von Lankens used to use it. (I could be mistaken). The Grizzly unit uses CAT5for control.

It does seem to me though that a few years ago there was a wirelss unit that had a head transmitter screen joystick and ancillary gear needed to operate the unit. For the life of me, I can't remember the name but it looked like a decent piece at a decent price.
I'm a bit leary or running wires around a church not to mention it's a lot more stuff to strike and packup after the show and as a solo operation I'm not sure if I really have the time to do it but it certainly has lots of advantages.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Steven............

Something like this will do the job, must be a dime a dozen in the States.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...&doy=10m6#spec

100 metres is about 330 feet.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Major Player

I do a similar thing by taking my video signal RCA cable from my camera. I use a 100' length of regular coaxial cable with RCA adaptors at both ends. I get a perfectly fine image!
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques