DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wireless Mics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/123537-wireless-mics.html)

Gary Randall June 11th, 2008 02:15 PM

Wireless Mics

I will be using the wireless system from Sennheiser (ew100) to do a wedding and was wondering if I needed to use a xlr adaptor with it to adjust the sound volume. I know that the unit does not have a volume adjustment on it. Do any of you guys use an adaptor when you use the ew100? It will be the only mic I use beside's an I-river for backup

Thanks
Gary

Don Bloom June 11th, 2008 05:11 PM

Not quite sure I understand the question. Cameras generally have either a mini or XLR input and the cable has no relation to adjusting sound levels. That's generally handled on the camera or by running thru a mixer of some sort but honestly every camera I've owned or used in the last 25 years has had some sort of audio levels control.

Don

Chris Soucy June 11th, 2008 05:45 PM

Hi Gary.................

I too am having a problem with the question.

Which EW100 system?

Who says it doesn't have variable AF out?

What adapter when using an EW100? Do you mean a 1/8" to XLR?

Gary, may I suggest you get to know an awefull lot more about the tools you'll be using BEFORE you get to this wedding.

A good place to start would be for you to find out exactly what kit you're going to be using (including the camera), exactly what connectors it all has, exactly how you're going to be connecting it together and exactly how you intend to control it.

If you don't know, we don't know either.

One thing is certain, if you do not get in some real world practice with this gear BEFORE the day, the result isn't going to be pretty.

CS

Kenny Shem June 11th, 2008 10:37 PM

Maybe he is referring to phantom power adapter. I'm using XH-A1 and doesn't need any phantom power as it already has a +48V when I'm using the G2 or my shotgun mic. The volume adjustment is done on the cam body itself. Why don't you try your setup using a headphone before using it on the real wedding?

Frank Simpson June 11th, 2008 11:40 PM

DO NOT RUN AN EW-100 ON PHANTOM POWER!!!!

When I've used my EW-100 with my Canon GL2 I have chosen to run it through a small Mackie mixer and then run the line out to the camera with "mic attenuation" turned on. It is easier for me to adjust levels on the mixer rather than on the camera.

But the above advice is very valuable. I always do a dry run at least one day before the event at the venue to get as "real world" an approximation as I can. I have never regretted doing so.

Lately I've been running my EW-100 directly into an Edirol R-4 recorder and adjusting its level there. I've gotten excellent results.

Also as noted above, using an XLR connector has no bearing on volume. The camera you're using will ultimately steer your choice of connector/level control. But do not "experiment" on wedding day without a known second audio source at the very least.

Good luck!

Gary Randall June 13th, 2008 09:53 AM

Thanks Don, I will be using a sony DCR-VX2100, are you saying I can control the wireless mic volume from the cam settings?

Gary

Don Bloom June 13th, 2008 12:57 PM

I've never had a 2100 but if it's anything like the 150/170 the audio controls are there to be able to set to AGC or manual (in a menu) and then control the levels thru a thumbwheel.

I would suggest strongly that before you shoot the job you first read the manual that came with the camera AND the manual that came with the audio system you plan on using.
Going out on a job, paying or not, with gear you are not familiar with is like playing russian roulette. You might get lucky but theres a better than even chance you won't.

Don

Michael Liebergot June 13th, 2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Randall (Post 892580)
Thanks Don, I will be using a sony DCR-VX2100, are you saying I can control the wireless mic volume from the cam settings?

Gary

Yes you can plug a wireless et into the 2100's /8 mic port and control it via the audio control in the camera.

But remember that as soon as you plug in the wireless or any mic into your 1/8 mic port, you lose the ability to use the onboard camera mic. So as soon as you plug in your wireless receover, you will only have access to the wireless audio and NO on board mic.

If you want better control over your wireless audio levels and have the ability to use another attached shotgun mic (2 separate channels of audio) then I suggest that you look into picking up a unit form http://beachtek.com/ or http://www.juicedlink.com/

And I can't agree more with Don's statement below to sit down and read your owners manual and learn to operate your camera inside and out before you go on a shoot. Especially a wedding shoot, where you only get one shot to get it right.

No offense but if you don't know how to even operate your cameras basic controls, then you really shouldn't be doing any paid shoots (if this is a paid shoot).

Rick Steele June 15th, 2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Randall (Post 892580)

Put the VX2100 in "manual" audio mode via the menu. Then, press the audio display button at the rear of the camera to show the VU meter on the LCD. While you can just leave it in auto, I find the VX runs too hot.