DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   I guess it's about time I introduce myself and post some of my work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/123647-i-guess-its-about-time-i-introduce-myself-post-some-my-work.html)

Craig Demaer June 12th, 2008 06:49 PM

I guess it's about time I introduce myself and post some of my work

I've been a very long time reader of the forum and love it, you guys are all great for tips/tricks/information etc.

I've been shooting friend's weddings for a number of years now and realized I like doing it so much and they've all loved them so much I'd try and start a business out of it and I seem to be doing ok.

My website is http://www.trulytimeless.ca

There are several clips from the most recent weddings I've done. I already know that in some clips some shots are shakier than most would like and stuff but they were freebie weddings for friends so I was trying some new things.

Thanks for reading
Craig

*braces for impact*

Seun Osewa June 13th, 2008 05:45 AM

You probably shouldn't use any clips you have to apologize for in your demo reel. ;)

Danny O'Neill June 13th, 2008 07:47 AM

On the shaky footage, do you use a steadicam/glidecam. For a moment it looks like no but then you start walking and it then has the gliding appearance.

Craig Demaer June 13th, 2008 08:04 AM

Yeah I have a Merlin. I wasn't really apologizing for it, I was just saying I know it's there. That seems to be one thing everyone on the forum mentions so I thought I'd just save them the time heheh, and it's only something people like us would notice, I've never had a client complain about anything.

John Stakes June 13th, 2008 08:34 AM

Just an FYI, the alignment is off on many of your website pages. Easy fix. If you need assistance let me know.

Welcome to the boards!

Carl Wilky June 13th, 2008 08:57 AM

The site is nice and clean, and I like how you not only post the videos on your blog but you also post the DVD sleeves along with the DVDs, kinda neat.

My only comments about the footage would be on the love stories where the audio isn't the best, you should look into either purchasing lav mics or a boom mic so you can get closer to your audio source for better quality.

Just like the love stories, some scenes are very dim, are you running your camera on automatic, or do you set your iris and exposure manually?

Just my 2 cents, otherwise, good luck with your new business.

Danny O'Neill June 13th, 2008 09:35 AM

Ahh the merlin. The woble is either because the whole rig is quite light and easily affected by wind and breathing or your drop time being too long. I was always frustrated why my glidecam was never as smooth as the big boys and it was a mixture of practice and I had the whole thing too light. Weighed it down a bit and boom, instant steadyness.

I refuse to comment on anything else as our current samples are quite embarassing ;)

Craig Demaer June 13th, 2008 10:00 AM

The one was recorded with a Rode Videomic and the second with a Sennheiser EW112P G2. The audio sounds great on the DVD. I guess maybe I should have used a higher bitrate when I made the flash file.

If you're curious this is what I have:
2 Canon HV20
1 Canon XH A1
Steadicam Merlin
Sennheiser EW112P G2
Lowel LC-55 500w RIFA-LITE w/ a dimmer switch on a Impact 10' AIR CUSHION 4-SECTION light stand
Rode Videomic

I was using just the HV20 for those, as these were just done for friends and afterwards decided to try this I got the A1, that's why some are dark. I'll replace their samples with stuff done with the A1 asap

Kenny Shem June 13th, 2008 10:57 AM

I think adding some background music during the love story interview will be nice. I think the Bride and Groom introduction shot is way too long and expose a lot of shakiness. Cutting in some closeup or other scene would be nice. Just what I personally think. :)

Osmany Tellez June 13th, 2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Demaer (Post 892509)
Yeah I have a Merlin. I wasn't really apologizing for it, I was just saying I know it's there. That seems to be one thing everyone on the forum mentions so I thought I'd just save them the time heheh, and it's only something people like us would notice, I've never had a client complain about anything.

Hey Craig. Good job..nice website and videos. I have the merlin too. my first time with it was bad, I thought I'll do ok with it "sort of balance", but it was bad. Now I make sure its in perfect balance before I go. Where you using the arm and vest? wonder..

Good job.

Craig Demaer June 13th, 2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Shem (Post 892612)
I think adding some background music during the love story interview will be nice. I think the Bride and Groom introduction shot is way too long and expose a lot of shakiness. Cutting in some closeup or other scene would be nice. Just what I personally think. :)

There is background music, it just didn't seem to transfer well to the web video. You thought the puzzle intro thing was too long? I like to try and do some sort of fun intro like that for each one I do rather than just plain text on the screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osmany Tellez (Post 892624)
Hey Craig. Good job..nice website and videos. I have the merlin too. my first time with it was bad, I thought I'll do ok with it "sort of balance", but it was bad. Now I make sure its in perfect balance before I go. Where you using the arm and vest? wonder..

Good job.

No fancy vest for me, just the handheld part, now I'm trying to get it balanced with the A1 and I've got it pretty close, but it gets pretty have pretty fast.

Kenny Shem June 14th, 2008 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Demaer (Post 892628)
There is background music, it just didn't seem to transfer well to the web video. You thought the puzzle intro thing was too long? I like to try and do some sort of fun intro like that for each one I do rather than just plain text on the screen.

I think the scene showing the VIGI signboard with a bit of shaky movement was good as it shows some mystery. However right after you pan showing the front door, a cut scene or two of different angles of the house will be better. After the cut scene continue straight to the merlin moving in shot and cut it off right before you expose your head in the door reflection. :)