Brand New Highlights Video - some cool stuff! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Alastair, I used the encoding tips that are posted on Vimeo. Quicktime MPEG4, keyframe every 30 frames, best quality, 29.97fps, 640x480. I'm not sure why it ended up with pixelization when I see so many other videos posted that are crystal clear.
FWIW... I've read in several places that QT's default keyframe every 30 frames really shouldn't be so and really should be a factor of 10 times the frame rate... 10 x 30 frames = keyframe every 300 frames. It seems also that it's supposed to reduce any blockyness & also keep the file size a bit smaller.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
FWIW... I've read in several places that QT's default keyframe every 30 frames really shouldn't be so and really should be a factor of 10 times the frame rate... 10 x 30 frames = keyframe every 300 frames. It seems also that it's supposed to reduce any blockyness & also keep the file size a bit smaller.
But wouldn't that then make a keyframe every 300 frames if you put 300 in the "keyframes per" field? Seems like having fewer overall keyframes would actually result in reduced quality.

Maybe the number should be "1", so a keyframe for every frame?
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #33
Major Player

Well they came from reliable sources :) & I can't recall the reasoning, but I remember it making sense. If I can conjure up a url, I'll post it.
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #34
Inner Circle

I was just trying to figure out the logic behind it. If you're keyframing every 30 frames, then you basically have a keyframe every second, but if you're keyframing every 300 frames then you only have a keyframe every 10 seconds, so the quality should suffer. Unless I'm missing something.

If you can think of the link, please do post it. I'd love to figure out how to get my videos on Vimeo looking as good as others I've seen!
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Travis,
I've been using this sight for some time now getting ideas and songs from it. This pl;ace is good for that kind of expansion of the mini filmakers horizons. Hell, I used to live in Moutanin Home Idaho and when I checked you out I couldn't believe this kind of creative art was possible from that neck of the woods. I'm proud of you Travis.

By the way, is the Steakers Bar still there in Boise? They have a room for people to disrobe for anyone that want's to streak, and then they had little foot print markers on the floor for the streakers to follow when they ran through the lounge area. I did it once many moons ago. Just curious.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Tom, I don't know about the Streaker's Bar, but now I'm going to have to find out, lol!

Thanks for the kind words. The Boise market for videography has been a tough one, because like I mentioned earlier it's an afterthought for most brides. However, after several years of struggling to get people to think bigger about what's possible from a wedding video, I seem to finally be making some headway. I think partly it's because I've continued to improve my work even if the financial rewards weren't there, and people are just noticing now. I also think it's partly that I've learned how to better sell what I do, which is quite different from what the norm is here. Name recognition always helps too. d;-)
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #37
Major Player

Here's one
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._from_fcp.html
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Thanks for the kind words. The Boise market for videography has been a tough one, because like I mentioned earlier it's an afterthought for most brides. However, after several years of struggling to get people to think bigger about what's possible from a wedding video, I seem to finally be making some headway. I think partly it's because I've continued to improve my work even if the financial rewards weren't there, and people are just noticing now. I also think it's partly that I've learned how to better sell what I do, which is quite different from what the norm is here. Name recognition always helps too. d;-)
That's encouraging to hear Travis. It's a similar situation in my area so that gives me hope that perseverance can pay off

Keep it up mate!

As an aside ... I believe my wife called it as hair and not drool back on page 1 of this thread ;)
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Wow, that is interesting stuff. Thanks!
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer View Post
That's encouraging to hear Travis. It's a similar situation in my area so that gives me hope that perseverance can pay off

Keep it up mate!

As an aside ... I believe my wife called it as hair and not drool back on page 1 of this thread ;)
Yeah, you really just have to severely overachieve for a while until it starts catching on. I'm guessing by the time I retire I'll start getting paid for my hours, lol.

Oh, and I saw that. Tell your wife she gets a handful of gold stars for the catch!
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #41
Regular Crew

"I think partly it's because I've continued to improve my work even if the financial rewards weren't there, and people are just noticing now"

There is truth to the rumor "passion drives success".

I'm not that great right now,IMO, when compared to Jason Magbanua, David Robins etc., but as long as I have the passion to create better works, eventually people will notice.

I am begining to reap the harvest after 5 years of experimentation. Still have a lot to learn, and more room to grow in the market.

When I first started doing this, I never saw the shots and edits in my head that are on these forums today...The mind is a beautiful thing when mixed with technology.

A shout out to all of us trying to make a difference.

And a special shout out to those guys and gals that have set the bar of creativity to the level of where it is now.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sessions View Post
"I think partly it's because I've continued to improve my work even if the financial rewards weren't there, and people are just noticing now"

There is truth to the rumor "passion drives success".

I'm not that great right now,IMO, when compared to Jason Magbanua, David Robins etc., but as long as I have the passion to create better works, eventually people will notice.

I am begining to reap the harvest after 5 years of experimentation. Still have a lot to learn, and more room to grow in the market.

When I first started doing this, I never saw the shots and edits in my head that are on these forums today...The mind is a beautiful thing when mixed with technology.

A shout out to all of us trying to make a difference.

And a special shout out to those guys and gals that have set the bar of creativity to the level of where it is now.
Amen. ....
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #43
Major Player

yeah I like alot of it, alot of cool shot, but the first shot of the bride got to go man, you concentrated too much on cool shot but not on what angle to make her look her best, that first shot shows horrible double chin of the bride, I say ditch it and find another shot to put it in there.
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #44
Inner Circle

I really enjoyed this one Travis, I thought all was well balanced and well edited to the music. The shot when they all were dancing and you moved the camera from above the crowd to a lower position was really cool.
One thing I'm not so sure about if it adds much to an already outstanding trailer and that is the different colors you used. I would just have used the original colors.
Again, great work, before you know Patrick M. will be asking you tips. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
yeah I like alot of it, alot of cool shot, but the first shot of the bride got to go man, you concentrated too much on cool shot but not on what angle to make her look her best, that first shot shows horrible double chin of the bride, I say ditch it and find another shot to put it in there.
Good catch. I never even noticed that. My goal with that shot was to get the bouquet in front of her face so that just her eyes and part of her smile were showing, but the coordinator was adjusting her dress and kept shaking her around and her flowers kept moving all over the place. So I finally just quit trying to move the camera for the shot and held it steady to see if the shot would just happen. It didn't quite, but I thought this still worked and it was the only usable part of that shot attempt. Just didn't see the double chin. Thanks for the catch, as I will have to be mindful of that in the future. Thanks again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques