DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Korn (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/123697-korn.html)

Bill Grant June 13th, 2008 02:32 PM

Korn

Ok, so here's the thing. I am a fan of heavy metal. Always have been, and still love it to this day. I have a couple we shot on May 25th who are gothy type heavy metal people. He says though, his favorite band is Korn. Hers is System of a Down. I am currently editing the open, and I am using Korn's Chutes and Ladders for the opening. It is very heavy, with a very heavy crunch but all of the lyrics are nursery ryhmes. I love the idea of saying to hell with the family and make this video for them, but what do you guys think...? I'll try to post a few mintues of it when I get it done. The thing was shot very static with some camera moves, but mainly trying to get good composition and steady shots. There's no way Korn will ever match weddign footage no matter what, but it fits with this bride and groom. I do have as a backup, the String Tribute to Korn, and System of a Down. Whatya think?
Here's a link to the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFh21nQ64V0

Bill

Travis Cossel June 13th, 2008 03:07 PM

I would seriously consider talking the couple into doing a "trash the dress" type of shoot and use the music with that. I think that for a wedding this type of music just isn't going to fit and also isn't going to stand the test of time. You might do something cool with it today, but 2 years from now the couple might really regret not having something more romantic and fitting. The string version might work.

I say this with my own passion for this kind of music, so it's not that the music doesn't fit my style or taste. My favorite band right now is Bullet for My Valentine.

Ethan Cooper June 13th, 2008 03:19 PM

Bill - I say go for it man. Cultivate your own style, carve out a niche in this mostly homogenized world of wedding videos. What do you have to lose by trying?

Dennis Murphy June 13th, 2008 03:32 PM

What the hell? Says "This video is not available in your country". Damn! I'm in New Zealand.
Old school Korn fan here, so I'm gutted I can't see it.

Anyway, go for gold I say!

Ethan Cooper June 13th, 2008 03:40 PM

If anyone can't see the video, it's just a link to Korn's own music video for the song. I'd like to see what Bill does with it himself.

Dave Blackhurst June 13th, 2008 03:51 PM

Strangely, I can actually see how one could make a great video with that song... if the couple is into some staged shots (trash the dress might not be a bad idea...), you actually could have a good deal of fun with it!

The whole nursery rhymes bit should make for some fun shots IMO! Take a few minutes and script/storybook out some shots, I think you're mind will run wild! MANY possiblities methinks!

Perhaps not "timeless" to some, but priceless to the couple if this is their taste, and I think I'd do it without a second thought, just for FUN!!!! I do have an odd idea of fun though <wink>!

Travis Cossel June 13th, 2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 892762)
Strangely, I can actually see how one could make a great video with that song... if the couple is into some staged shots (trash the dress might not be a bad idea...), you actually could have a good deal of fun with it!

The whole nursery rhymes bit should make for some fun shots IMO! Take a few minutes and script/storybook out some shots, I think you're mind will run wild! MANY possiblities methinks!

Perhaps not "timeless" to some, but priceless to the couple if this is their taste, and I think I'd do it without a second thought, just for FUN!!!! I do have an odd idea of fun though <wink>!

That's why I think this is a perfect situation for a trash the dress type of video. The song is edgy, and a perfect fit for that type of video - especially with the nursery rhyme lyrics. It doesn't have to be timeless because it's a unique production, whereas the wedding is more of a timeless production. Either way, I'm excited to see what comes of this.

Andrew Kimery June 13th, 2008 06:58 PM

Voice concerns about it maybe not being timeless etc., etc., but I wouldn't try to talk them out of it. Since they are into metal they probably wouldn't like the typical sappy, drappy, mushy, cliched wedding music anyway so it comes down to does the couple want to make a wedding video they think they'd like or a wedding our cultural norms say they should like? The string tribute might be a nice compromise and it will also provide an instrumental only track which may be preferred if the lyrics don't fit or "over power" the footage. Maybe do something where you start off w/the actual song then cross fade into the string tribute where appropriate.

On one hand it might not be timeless but on the other hand they might look at it 30 years from now and smile remembering their wild and crazy youth. As other posters have mentioned just go crazy. These don't sound like typical people so don't give them a typical wedding video.

-A

Travis Cossel June 13th, 2008 07:07 PM

I guess my point is that I'm really into hard rock and metal myself, but that doesn't mean every aspect of my life fits with that. I might love rocking out to some Killswitch Engage, but I might not really want my wedding video edited to that.

If that's what these guys want at the end of the day, then go for it, but make sure they've thought it through. That's all I'm saying.

Plus, I think you have an opportunity to create more business here. Tell the couple you'd love to edit their wedding video to their style, but that you think this particular song would work awesome for a trash the dress video, which would cost $XXX. Who knows, you might be able to have the best of both worlds here.

Don Bloom June 13th, 2008 09:24 PM

it's too bad Dave Bonner doesn't have many wedding samples posted anymore. He did some very creative stuff with some very out of the box music. This is going back more than a few years.

Don

Bill Grant June 14th, 2008 03:45 PM

You know,
The thing is. I have some time. I just finished the May 17th edit and it is burning, so I have a few days to mess with this. I might do it just for them, and then drop over the string version for the family. But, you're right, they're not traditional and I need to push the envelope a bit. Maybe use Braveheart instead of Pearl Harbor... :) I have the first 1:30 cut already. The song starts with a minute of bagpipes, so even if I cut it then, that might be enough eventually... Thanks for the comments. I'll post it when I'm finished.
Bill

Rick Steele June 15th, 2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Grant (Post 893124)
But, you're right, they're not traditional and I need to push the envelope a bit.Bill

Exactly. Don't buy into this, "they might regret it years from now" nonsense. My music tastes have certainly changed over the years but I'm not ashamed of being young once.

Give them something they'll like now and they'll still love it 50 years later.

Travis Cossel June 15th, 2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele (Post 893514)
Exactly. Don't buy into this, "they might regret it years from now" nonsense. My music tastes have certainly changed over the years but I'm not ashamed of being young once.

Give them something they'll like now and they'll still love it 50 years later.

It's not nonsense, and I certainly wasn't saying he shouldn't do it. I was simply saying you should consult with the couple and present to them the possible downside. If they still want to do it, then go for it. But I've noticed a lot of these young couples aren't really thinking ahead much at all, which is why so many of them don't even consider the importance of videography. So I guess I don't see why it hurts to consult with them on the issue. It certainly isn't nonsense. I think it's actually a very valid point.

Rick Steele June 16th, 2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 893538)
you should consult with the couple and present to them the possible downside.

What is the "downside" to making something that reflects who the couple really is... today? It's not up to us to prejudge and hold prejudice to their likes and dislikes. I never understood this self imposed responsibility we seem to have which requires us to see the future and decide that people will be ashamed of how they were in their younger life.

Don Bloom June 16th, 2008 08:33 AM

I have to agree with Rick.
I am a child of the 60s which had some of the most forward thinking and best music I've heard then and now. Guess what I still listen to.
Cream, Zepplin, Hendrix, Grass Roots, Joplin,Iron Butterfly and of course the Beatles. There are many more that escape my old and getting weaker by the day mind;-)

I say 'go for it'. Do something out of the box, be different, make it something that's memorable for THEM and if in 50 years they say 'why did we use that music?' ... well that's then, this is now.

Don