MiniDisc Recorders - Good choice for Weddings? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 27th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #16
New Boot

Cool, thx Robert, I'd appreciate that.........
Joe Mclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 06:43 AM   #17
Regular Crew

How long of a recording can you get on a 20Gig Nomad. I noticed the 60Gig version does not have a FireWire interface. Hopefully in the near future it will =)
Old July 28th, 2003, 08:13 AM   #18
Skyonic New York

gary,

you will proabably run out of battery before disk space even in 48 uncompressed mode you get about 30min per 320megs give or take some, need more space you can always rec in 44 resampling mode
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #19
Skyonic New York

double post
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 10:52 AM   #20
Wrangler

I understand the Nomad argument but for recording wedding vows, the smaller-than-a-deck-of-cards Sony works very well for me. Even running the recorder at quality level 2 is more than good enough for the spoken word.
Old July 28th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #21
Regular Crew

which sony

which sony "smaller than a deck of cards" are you referring to?
Old July 28th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #22
Wrangler

The Sony MD recorder is the model MZG-750. Cost about $300+ at Circuit City about 18 months ago IIRC. Maybe a little less. Has the rechargable NiMh battery that lasts 2-3 hours with no worries.

I just connect it up, leave it in AGC and end up with a good
voice recording for weddings.

I do set levels manually when I have time and the control to do something with it. But I almost always feed it with a mixer where I can manage levels. That way, the inability to change levels on the recorder while recording doesn't bother me a bit.

I normally use a $45 (B&H) Sony lav ( ECM-T145 ) with the mini-disk for my wireless backup during weddings.

Right now I'm using the MD recorder for a 2.5 hour voice over I have to do on a training tape on the Sherline lathe. I have a AT 4033SE studio microphone feeding into a Shure 267 mono mixer and that feeds into the MD player. As long as I can feed the signal into the MD, it works very well. I've yet to have a failure with it.

For voice, I cannot hear any diference between it and recording on my PD150.

I think it is OK for music too, but probably not as good as a camera or a higher-end recorder. However Jay Rose claims that the MD recorder is as good or better than even the high-end Sony professional camcorders.
Old July 28th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #23
Major Player

I haven't maid direct comparison of DV sound and MD but have in mind that MD is dedicated only to sound while the DV shares audio and video tracks.

Although compressed format I also thinnk sound quality of MD is very high - simillar to DAT even for high end music (not only for voices as some might think). Main diference would be more likely made by the source - quality of the mic, mixer, etc.

I came up something and wonder if anybody tried it.

When using lavalier mic (which is usualy mono) on the groom how about recording on the MD in mono. You'll get double lenght on single MD (74min stereo -> 148 mono) and you don't lose anything as the mic is mono. Same applies when feeding the MD from mono mixer or you have only single chanel used on a mixer.

Anyway the dounside is you have to record the single track down to computer in real time (1x speed) via sound card or USB audio interface.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:06 AM   #24
Wrangler

On my Sony, the mono mode will record for about 6 hours.

DV sound is recorded just fine. The sharing is not an issue as they are separate data sets. The problem is always the analog front ends.

1X transfer is not a problem. One computer can capture it while I work on one of the others.
Old July 29th, 2003, 04:53 AM   #25
Regular Crew

>>I normally use a $45 (B&H) Sony lav
>> ( ECM-T145 ) with the mini-disk for
>>my wireless backup during weddings.

How sensitive is this Mic? Since it has it's own power, can you plug it in directly to the portable MD recorder, and hide the MD recorder on the groom?

If so, where's the best place to clip the mic on the groom?
Torajima Watanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 07:25 AM   #26
Trustee

Wouldn't it be better to clip it to the officiate? The minister or priest would certainly be my first choice.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #27
Wrangler

On the lapel on the groom on the side the bride stands on. That way you get every whisper between the two...However...you may need to edit OUT some audio in post ;-)

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #28
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Nathan Gifford : On the lapel on the groom on the side the bride stands on. That way you get every whisper between the two...However...you may need to edit OUT some audio in post ;-) -->>>

LOL! I once had to edit out an exposed nipple...

^_^
Torajima Watanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #29
Major Player

Mike,
What's the mode you record 6 hours on? Is it LP4?

For the native MD format (normal speed) which is the highest quality max duration is 80/160 min stereo/mono.

LP2 $ LP4 are more compressed formats simillar to MP3 so the quality degradates. For voice should be OK though.

Regards, Bogdan
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #30
Wrangler

Could a model like this be used for weddings?

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...5&catoid=-8362
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques