Comfortable Shoes? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 16th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #16
Major Player

I've found stylish leather shoes, that look like a designer shoes, they are very comfy....
I never wear jeans or sports shoes... someone said, "you have to look similar to the people you make a video of", so I feel there is a need to look somewhat stylish.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #17
Inner Circle

1 pair of Rockports, 1 pair of Dr.Scolls gel insert and 1 pair of black SHINED walking shoes. Can't think of thename off hand but they are comfy and yes I wear them at weddings.
Regardless of what you wear, they need to be clean and shined and comfortable. Your feet are valuable tools you gotta take really good care of them.
BTW while I might agree about not wearing clogs I'v never had a problem with any client be it wedding or corporate about wearing my gym shoes as long as they are clean and shined.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss View Post
Boys...if I can walk around in some black high heels for the day, I'm sure some of you can ditch the clogs, sneaks and sandals! ;-)
Amen Sista! I was thinking the same thing as I was reading through this post!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Brennan View Post
Amen Sista! I was thinking the same thing as I was reading through this post!
Not to beat a dead horse, but do you girls seriously shoot all day at a wedding in high heels?
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but do you girls seriously shoot all day at a wedding in high heels?
Truthfully...yes. Now in the Summer I can get away with a very nice stylish sandal or one inch heel. In the winter I've been known to wear a boot with a 2-3 inch heel. If we go outside I will slip on my black Blundstones (sweet relief!), and I always have my furry Uggs waiting in the van for the drive home!

That being said I do NOT carry the amount of weight that you mentioned earlier. My heaviest single piece of equipment is my Flowpod (which is weighted). But I do carry to cameras (a GL2) and fully stocked camera bags, a tripod, my flowpod, my light/battery pack (maybe as heavy as the flowpod!!!), and a purse. I'm 5'7 and 135lbs so ratio wise I'm still carrying a lot!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yep, I do too. I have a pair of dressy flats on standby in most cases, but haven't ever had the time to change them. I do weddings by myself a lot of times, with 2 camers and all the other equipment that goes with them and have yet to break down to buy a dolly. You should see me lugging it around, I'm sure it looks ridiculous, but I don't like making more than one trip (or leaving my gear unattended), so I just pile it all on and off I go!

I tried to do a wedding in a pair of "jazz sneakers"... black dance shoes that look like sneakers, which I could wear forever and my feet would never hurt... but I felt uncomfortable and out of place because it wasn't the presentation I wanted to project to my clients/families. Now, I don't typically wear anything over a 2 inch heel, but it still isn't alwasy easy! :)
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #22
Major Player

Black leather trainers are quite smart. We do need to look smart but a few hours in normal shoes and my feet are useless for the rest of the day, let alone another shoot the following day. That said I do wear a glidecam smooth shooter ALL DAY. So I couldnt run in hard sole shoes without feeling scared of slipping. I also change after the ceremony from open collar shirt to smart black polo as it gets a little sweaty.

Its great to have a static camera which the wife operates and a glidecam that can quickly get where needed.
Danny O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #23
Inner Circle

You girls are crazy! I can't believe you shoot in heels. Props.

I have to say, though, that I don't think you should feel you HAVE to wear heels to be presentable at a wedding. I'm pretty sure everyone would understand you have a physical job to do and that requires the proper footwear. I mean, the female servers at the reception aren't wearing heels, so why should you have to? Just my opinion.
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
You girls are crazy! I can't believe you shoot in heels. Props.

I have to say, though, that I don't think you should feel you HAVE to wear heels to be presentable at a wedding. I'm pretty sure everyone would understand you have a physical job to do and that requires the proper footwear. I mean, the female servers at the reception aren't wearing heels, so why should you have to? Just my opinion.
Crazy huh? lol!

I don't actually feel that I HAVE to wear heels (hence the blundstones in the van!) However, I do feel that this is a business based on referrals (unlike the servers who are employed by XXX ) and people like a pretty package in ALL aspects. Undoubtedly your work should speak for itself (and you) and get you the jobs...but, when you are just starting out (like me) I need to come across as proffessionally as possible. In some cases I've had people book me without seeing my work just because I came across as knowledgable and proffessional (my portfolio building prices didn't hurt either!)

Besides, as a woman you get used to it.
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Well, as long as it doesn't hurt your work and just your feet .... d;-)

I wonder if I'd get more business if I started wearing heels?
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #26
Major Player

I'm not sure what KIND of work you'd get wearing heels...but I suspect you couldn't post it on here!
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Buy A very comfortable pair of decent looking shoes, Whatever works best for you.
After our first 12HR shoot wearing dress shoes Both my wife and I hit the local shoe stores the very next day to find something dressy enought to be acceptable but comfortable enough to be in all day, and still allow the flexibiltiy to get up & down real easy from those Squat shots without cutting your feet in half. That first Long shoot taught us a Lot, comfortable shoes being only one of the lessons learned. She settled on a black Leather Runner style & I found a pair of Hunter Bay Black Loafers That I just Love. A long Shoot in anything less than a comfortable pair of shoes will just make your day absolutely Miserable.
Robin Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #28
Inner Circle

just throwing this out here but in 25 years of video work (about 1300weddings) and 12 years before that in still work no one has ever NOT hired me because of my shoes. Actually in the last 8 years the only weddings I've even worn a tie at is when both my sons got married (no choice-my wife made me). I dress very professionally to include comfortable shoes and if that means black, clean,polished gym type shoes then that's what I wear. I've done some very very high end costly events wearing shoes like that and no one has ever said anything about my shoes. Clean and polished, that's the key. I work with a number of female photogs who do the same and to the best of my knowledge they've never not been hired because of their shoes either.
Having said that, you wear what you're comfortable in and if thats 2 inche heels or wingtips then that's what you wear. Keyword, comfort!

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Same here, Don. I've done a number of high end weddings, including our governor's daughter, and never had anyone have an issue with not wearing a tie or not having a suit or or whatever. I think as long as you dress nicely (black is good), then people understand that your job is a physical one and doesn't lend itself to running around in a tuxedo with a camera.
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #30
Major Player

Like so many topice here at DVI, there are no right or wrong answers per se.

In my case, I bought a pair of very simple black wingtips at Wal*Mart for $19 for a play I was in. They were very comfortable onstage, so I decided to try them at my next shoot. I thought they were great, but I'm sure others would not have liked them.

At the end of the day the comfort/aesthetic issues will be a matter of personal preference.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques