DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Projection at reception - ? about audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/124056-projection-reception-about-audio.html)

Dawn Brennan June 18th, 2008 01:32 PM

Projection at reception - ? about audio

I have a wedding on Friday that we are displaying a pre-wedding interview session via a projector. I don't have my own sound equipment and am planning to use the DJ's. How do you guys do this? What connection to the DJ? I have contacted the actual DJ for Friday and he actually does these (well slideshows) on his own and has a "video mixer" that he offered me to use, but I have no clue. I was going to use a DVD player or my laptop to play the video, then just connect to him through RCA cables... make sense? Any insight is appreciated! I just didn't think it'd be as difficult as he's trying to make it.

Jonathan Bufkin June 18th, 2008 01:46 PM

I always bring more than enough so I would at least have 1 alternate connection type. I would try to get an RCA to 1/4" cable. Most DJ's have more 1/4" inputs available than XLR from my experience. I'm not sure what he means by "video mixer" but the audio has already been mixed as far as you are concerned.

Vince Baker June 18th, 2008 04:33 PM

I often do this, I have a nice Dell projector that fits sweetly onto a tripod (dont overlook that part ever!) and for sound I purchased a creative set of 3 speakers and a sub.

Plugs straight into the laptop and fills most medium to almost large rooms with really good sound.

I prefer to have my own setup than rely on the DJ (ok, his sound will be better but I prefer to be in control)

Travis Cossel June 18th, 2008 05:53 PM

Which Dell model do you have? I have a Dell and never even thought of putting it on a tripod.

Dawn Brennan June 18th, 2008 06:19 PM

~~Running to check and see if I can use mine on a tripod as well~~ I have a new Dell projector as well!

AND IT CAN!!! You just may have saved my life... okay, well atleast my sanity. I was nervous about how I was going to do all of this and have to bring a table of something. I have the Dell 2400MP, Travis, so maybe that'll help you! And Vince, THANK YOU, for pointing this out!

Kim Swift July 2nd, 2008 07:55 PM

????

Hi guys, how do you put a projector on a tripod?

Dawn Brennan July 2nd, 2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Swift (Post 902452)
Hi guys, how do you put a projector on a tripod?

The model I have actually mounts right onto a tripod. I used a cheapo one last time, just screwed on the projector and it worked great! This time, I am using a little bit of a better tripod so I have more height, and already affixed the plate to the bottom of the projector!

Edit: Thanks Mike... THREADS. I am exhausted and couldn't think of the word I wanted. So I just attach the tripod with the threads on the bottome of the projector! Wow, off to bed I go!

Mike Williams July 2nd, 2008 08:09 PM

Threads

There should be threads on the bottom like a camera.

Dave Blackhurst July 2nd, 2008 09:57 PM

DUCT TAPE!! he he he he

Uh, seriously, there's a camera mount under there? KEWL, I shoulda though of that... shouldn't be that hard to jerry rig a workable setup...

Monday Isa July 2nd, 2008 10:00 PM

Dawn I do rca to the dj. I use my senn G2 to transmit the sound wirelessly.

Marshall Levy July 2nd, 2008 10:35 PM

You can bring all of the connectors you want, but let's just assume the dj or band won't allow you to use their equipment...then what will you do.....

This is why I bring my own speaker setup, cables, and everything else in between. Sure, it might be more stuff to deal with, but just imagine how you'd feel if you can't provide what a client wants and pays for........I will never jeopardize my reputation, especially on the hopes of someone allowing me to use their equipment - I have done it on occasion as an after-thought, if I can and the client wants it, but always have my stuff as planned.

In terms of connections, you may want to consider both male and female connectors to 1/4", rca, and xlr, as well as a f-f and m-m connector...can't be too safe.

Rick Steele July 4th, 2008 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Levy (Post 902511)
but let's just assume the dj or band won't allow you to use their equipment...then what will you do.....

You do nothing... except watch the B&G lay into the DJ (and rightfully so). I bet things will change. :)

Really, I've never seen a DJ refuse to help in providing the sound for projections. Most are used to this as these things are more common at weddings than we are.

Dawn Brennan July 4th, 2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele (Post 903093)
You do nothing... except watch the B&G lay into the DJ (and rightfully so). I bet things will change. :)

This would be my tactic as well :) . Actually, I tell the B&G to mention it to their DJ in advance, and then about a week before the wedding, I get in touch with the DJ as well, just to "work things out". Haven't run into problems yet.

Marshall Levy July 4th, 2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn Brennan (Post 903098)
This would be my tactic as well :) . Actually, I tell the B&G to mention it to their DJ in advance, and then about a week before the wedding, I get in touch with the DJ as well, just to "work things out". Haven't run into problems yet.

Maybe so but from a professional standpoint, why take the chance? I always ask regardless, even though I bring my own equipment, and I've had my fair share of folks who say no....and I can't blame them because it is THEIR equipment and THEIR decision...

Rick Steele July 4th, 2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Levy (Post 903108)
and I've had my fair share of folks who say no....and I can't blame them because it is THEIR equipment and THEIR decision...

You've seen DJ's refuse a sound feed request by the Bride & Groom for their projection?

Just so we're clear here... I'm not talking about a board tap to feed audio into your cameras - that only affects you and there are other ways to get this.

But the entire venue is depending on that DJ for the projection sound and I seriously doubt he's willing to take that kind of heat should he refuse. (I've never seen it).

If this is your experience then you certainly can blame him as this is pretty common and he should be ready for it at every gig if needed. Of course I wouldn't rely on his expertise to pull it off but at least his willingness to accomodate shouldn't be the issue here.