PST in BC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #1
New Boot

PST in BC

Hi there,
quick question for any wedding videographers in british columbia.
i have called the provincial tax office three times about this. i was told twice that i need to charge PST and once that i don't need to. then one client told me that another videographer said that they don't charge PST. so my question is... do you charge PST?
Oscar Nam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I can't speak for Canada, and I'm assuming PST is some type of sales tax, but I had the same problem here in my state. I talked to 2 different auditors at our state tax commission and got completely different answers regarding sales tax on weddings. I decided just to charge sales tax to be safe.
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey Oscar, I'm in Manitoba and I was told I need to charge PST, photographers have to and we pretty much fall under the same category.
Craig Demaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Major Player

There is confusion where I am also (Utah, US). It appears that the decision comes down to whether you provide a service or a product. If you provide a service - for example, if you film a wedding and then give them a DVD of the service you performed, then there is no sales tax. If you provide a product - for example, if you sell them a DVD of their wedding that you filmed, then you charge sales tax. See how it can be confusing! Are they paying for the filming/production or the DVD? Of course both parts are necessary for the total package, so there is no easy answer. I know of some that don't charge for the wedding filming and production but charge tax on the value of the DVD itself ($30 for example).
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I thought about doing that. Having a separate contract for filming and the DVD sale, but then I realized that if I was ever audited then it would probably look like I was trying to avoid collecting sales tax. I went with just charging sales tax on the whole package and I can honestly say I've never had anyone complain. People are used to paying sales tax.
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm in Ontario and my accountant claims that I only have to charge PST to my clients. I will have to charge GST once I have exceeded $33000 in total sales. Might not be the same but that is what the accountant claims,.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bowers View Post
I'm in Ontario and my accountant claims that I only have to charge PST to my clients. I will have to charge GST once I have exceeded $33000 in total sales. Might not be the same but that is what the accountant claims,.
Yeah I forgot to mention that, same here in Manitoba, once I exceed 30kish I also have to charge GST
Craig Demaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #8
New Boot

I already know about the GST.
I registered for the GST so that I can get all the GST I pay on my equipment back.
It's the whole PST thing that is confusing.
I am charging PST just to be on the safe side.
Oscar Nam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques