Patrick do you use alternate lighting??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Stewart View Post
Kenny - mind i ask what on camera LED light you use? I've used the LitePanel Mini for sometime now (renting it) but since the Micro is out I've been thinking about trying it. I have a few of the small little cheap but extremely bright Sima LED lights (found at best buy and such) but they are so bright and to much of a spot light that i tend not to use them much at all but for lighting things in the background. I'm afraid to use big tripod based lights and would prefer for everything to be battery powered without a huge beltpack, and so hopefully in the next month I'll rent the LitePanel 1x1 and see how that holds up next to a big 650w arri w/softbox.
I'm using the Spinet led light which cost me around US$430. Although this is an on camera light, I mounted it on a light stand and position it at an angle to create that dynamic feel. This light is quite spotty and strong and I have to create my own diffuser to make it more usable at close range.
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Okay, I'm very curious about setting up lighting at this point. I've dealt with my share of dark receptions for sure, but yesterday I did a wedding with a dark reception that took the cake.

Basically, on my GL2's at 1/30th shutter, wide open iris, and +18gain the image was still pretty much too dark to be usable. I tried to get the house lights turned up a bit but was declined because they didn't want the lighting to compete with the "centerpiece lighting" and destroy the "mood". Keep in mind the centerpiece lighting consisted of 2 very TINY candles, and in a room with 450 guests, a hundred or so of these candles was not doing anything.

How do you convince people to let you light something like the cake cutting or the first dance? Or do they just let you do it?
Travis....we always discuss lighting with the couple at length when we meet with them. If we explain to them why, they never have a problem with it and understand. Last weekend we had a dark reception that had a balcony, which worked out great. When you light from above you have to use some soft fill light for the shadows. Just keep in mind that there will be guests and try and set up with them in mind also. After the dances, toasts we usually kill the lights. I like to have lighting set up and on before the guests arrive (if possible) so that they can start adjusting to the light set up. It is more obvious to them when it is dark and then you turn on the lights.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM   #18
Inner Circle

That's a great tip about having the lights on before the guests arrive. I don't know how often I could accomplish that, but still a great tip!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques