Clamp for Sony FX1 sized camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Trustee

Clamp for Sony FX1 sized camera

I saw mention in another thread, of using a super clamp for mounting a camera onto a pipe, alter, pew etc.

I was curious what combination of clamp and head would work for use with a Sony FX1 (larger sized) camera?

There are times that I would like to mount a camera on an alter (which could be a Canon HV20 (small), to a larger Sony FX1/Z1. So I was looking for a clamp and possibly ball head combination which might work. A Magic Arm support is probably not strong enough to use with an FX1, but is possible to use with a HV20.
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use the Manfrotto superclamp (035) with the double ball tilt top head (155) and camera bracket (143). You can clamp it really tight. HV20 is never a problem. Used it outside cars at really high speeds on bumpy roads. For static support a Z1 will work, at least it can take the weight of an XHA1, wich i guess is about the same weight. It is the max for the ballhead, but it can hold the weight.

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Clamp for Sony FX1 sized camera-dsc01317.jpg   Clamp for Sony FX1 sized camera-dsc01319.jpg  

Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Trustee

The pics are just fine, as a matter fo fact they are great.

Thanks for the info.

The Z1/FX1 is slightly larger than the A1 so I would have to check the specs.
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

As long as you are aware of center of gravity issues, it's mainly whether you can get the clamp and the ball/swivel assemblies tight enough. I had some old German stuff that would hold just about anything if cranked tight enough...

The Manfrotto clamps look pretty similar - solid all metal construction is important, no plastic stuff for a bigger cam, and then watch the CG... if the cam is well centered over the pivot point and not going to be knocked around or subject to motion (like car mounts), it just has to be strong enough to hold the rig up. Add motion, and it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

It doesn't take much of a clamp setup if you stick to the HV20 size cam - it's light and has a small CG footprint.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques