(another) Wedding Highlight for comment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 26th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

(another) Wedding Highlight for comment

Hey all,

I'm looking for any comments on this highlight video. Thanks.

http://www.vimeo.com/1229071

-Don B.
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Good apart from the soft focus/glow. Looks very 80's
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comment. Over-doing (or even using that effect at all) was one thing I've been on the fence about. It seems that 1/2 people that see it like the effect and 1/2 don't. I'm still waiting to hear from the clients. :) (They selected the music, btw)

That's the first video I've posted to vimeo.com. Cool site.

Thanks again for the input. Anyone else have a comment?

-Don B.
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Major Player

You could do some shot-to-shot color matching to even out the B&G's skin tones (which range from fairly cool to a bit too red). When the bride says her vows, there is a bit of camera shake at the very beginning, perhaps a J-cut at that point to stay on the groom a beat longer. Not sure that the ambient audio at the end adds much value, even though I generally prefer having ambient over just music. I would even consider shortening the song by one verse (or two?).

Otherwise, it was well put together for this song.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Nice work. I definitely agree with losing the ambient audio at the end. It's such a beautiful shot and then you hear the photographer winding his camera a few times. Ruins the ending.

Some of the handheld shots were a bit too shaky. Watch for that in the future when shooting. Try keeping the camera closer to your body or use a stabilizer of some sort.

The jittery tripod shot of the bride giving her vows took away from the video, but I also understand you probably didn't have another shot of the bride giving her vows to use, so there you go. Something else to correct next time you're shooting.

Overall, though, you did good. Your editing pace matched the pace of the song, and I didn't mind the glow at the beginning (personal preference). Not a big fan of the song, but then you didn't choose it, so well done anyways.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Very very clean

Sure there was that one shaky spot and it stood out because everything else was shot on a pod super super steady. Nice job. I had to mute the sound, sorry. The only realy thing I can say is maybe one or two cuts? The cross dissolves every time was a little grinding.

But remember we see this stuff all day long the B&G will likely be THRILLED! Super production value overall. The soft stuff works with the, umm, song :)

Thank God my wife edits! I get to do the cool stuff and she gets stuck with the John Denver edits :) I usually find something to do out of the studio on those :)
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you for the comments folks. It is much appreciated. It seems you all saw the same things I did. I DO plan on fine-tuning/matching the color a bit more. I also agree about the shakey shot of her vows. Funny, I didn't even notice the shake editing on a smaller monitor. I really need to edit on a larger monitor. (I just bought a MacBook Pro so I guess I'll be using a bigger (ext) monitor now. :) The shot was shaky due to an extreme zoom and a stiff lakeside wind. Oh well, I will take the advice given here and cut to her CU a bit later.

The nat sound at the end... My intention was to boost the nat sound of the waves "lapping" and crickets when the music ends. I guess it didn't work. :) Seems uninanimous that I should dump it. Thanks for the input. It's always good to have more than 2 eyes commenting on your stuff.

-Don B.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bazley View Post
The nat sound at the end... My intention was to boost the nat sound of the waves "lapping" and crickets when the music ends. I guess it didn't work. :)
In the future maybe shoot that shot, but then after the photog and couple are done move in close to the water and shoot for sound. I did this once at a lake and it worked very well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques